New to MX5s

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

New to MX5s

Postby angeleyes » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:46 pm

hello,
I bought an MX5 convertible in June and I am in love!!!! Such a responsive, comfortable little tin box. Winter here and never driven a back wheel drive before....any advice?
Thanks
Angeleyes
angeleyes

Re: New to MX5s

Postby OldSpice » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:59 pm

1)Consider winter tyres. Plenty online advice available.

2)In snow & ice (if we get any) adopt the vision of having a saucer on the bonnet with a golf ball in it.
If anyone thinks thats daft go and speak to a certain Jackie Stewart..it's his idea )...so......

Drive as smoothly as you can to stop it rolling out the saucer. Smooth inputs all the way with steering
, throttle, and brakes. If your passenger feels like they are in an automatic, your doing not bad.

3) If you are not really confident, get some track day tuition at Knockhill or similar. Cheaper than swapping paint. :wink:

4) Golden rule in slippy stuff. Slow in, gently out, wait till it's straight and then apply gradual power. Basically use your nut!

5) In icy/slippy stuff use as few revs as possible without labouring/juddering the engine. High revs and snatchy gears means you will loose traction and probably entice the rear end to swap ends.
Us Boys do it for fun but thats a "Boy Thing" :wink:

6) In really mean conditions, walk..or have a duvet day.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby BoabG » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:13 pm

Enjoy your 5 I've not long got my first one and its a brilliant car. Which model did you get ?.
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby joeytalent » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:51 am

Higher gears, slower revs.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
joeytalent

Return to New Users