Hi

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Hi

Postby hold on tight » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:03 pm

How did I end up here? Well, I'm sure I'm not the first person who has been seduced by the romance of running a classic car, only to be brought down to earth with a bang after driving one. For years I have hankered after something really old, but since a vintage Bentley was never going to be within budget, I thought about things like an Austin 7. But the more I thought about it, the more I realised that I would never actually GO anywhere in it. It is just so slow, and so basic, and so primitive that it would take forever to get anywhere.

So then I thought that while I wouldn't want to undertake any decent journey in a 7, - I would do it in a Triumph Spitfire. After a lot of internet searching, I went down to Ayrshire to view a late 1500 model. It looked quite good, had been well looked after by its current owner, but the instant it rolled out onto the road, I knew that I didn't really want one after all. It was awful. I had been at Aberfeldy the previous weekend, and the thought of doing that journey in a rattly clattery old 70s BL sports car, with stone-age technology, just about made me lose the will to live.

So the next cunning plan was an MX5. It had to be a Sport model to get the 6-speeder and Limited Slip Diff, and this is it:

So I picked it up this morning and very nearly lost it ten minutes later. A combination of generous power, LSD, 205/40 tyres, a heavy right foot and a wet slippy roundabout, had me heading backwards up the road, narrowly missing the traffic bollard. It ain't half tail-happy! Having been brought up competing in rear wheel drive rally cars in the 70s & 80s, a nice wee civilised sports car would be no problem for me! As they say on Top Gear, "How hard can it be?" Well let me tell you, - hard enough! I will be treating the throttle pedal with great respect until we get some dry roads.

It appears to be in very good condition, but no doubt the dreaded rust bug will have been making a feast of it somewhere. But it looks terrific, runs really well, and if I have to get the MIG out to it in a couple of years, it's not the end of the world. In the meantime, I'll get started with an extra large tin of Waxoyl, and put off that day for as long as possible.

Ian
Last edited by hold on tight on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hold on tight

Re: Hi

Postby drumtochty » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:00 pm

What make tyres are on the car.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby CaptainNorth » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:46 pm

Great intro mate. The car that MG Rover should have made....ah well.
Cheers
Dave
NC1 BBR Super 200
Citroen C1 - 68HP of raw power
CaptainNorth

Postby hold on tight » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:38 pm

drumtochty wrote:What make tyres are on the car.eddie

Fronts are Yokohama Paradas. Rears are Zetas. All 205/40 X 17, with good tread
hold on tight

Postby hold on tight » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:39 pm

CaptainNorth wrote:The car that MG Rover should have made.

Nah. They would just have made an arse of it
hold on tight

Postby drumtochty » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:11 pm

The MX5 is very critical of rear tyres. I have never heard of the Zeta's but that means nothing!

It would be a pity if they were the problem, if they have plenty tread left.

Hard to throw away tyres with good tread.

So you either go slower round wet corners or try and get a loan of another set of rears in that size off a Mk1 or Mk2 and try them on a wet day.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby CaptainNorth » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:39 pm

They did - MGF
NC1 BBR Super 200
Citroen C1 - 68HP of raw power