Fife N00b!

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Fife N00b!

Postby Wullie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Hello all,

Just acquired a 2005 Euphonic 1.6. I am totally new to MX5s having been an Evo owner and a Glanza owner before that its weird to be without boost! I have to admit though the revvy wee MX5 impresses for having such a small engine and power add to that the very precise handling and opportunity for shenanigans in the wet.... its not too shabby!

The car is standard but I am thinking I will do the exhaust, intake, poly bushes and possibly coilovers to drop it down a tad! I am having a bit of bother finding SS Exhausts for the 1.6 however! Looking forward to learning about the car and enjoying some twisty drives.

Will add some pics of the car later :)

See you out there!
Wullie
Wullie

Re: Fife N00b!

Postby drumtochty » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Welcome to the forum Wullie

Te exhaust and inlet on the MX5 only change the noise profile, they do nothing for performance I'm afraid.

The general opinion on bushes is if they are worn replace with Mazda ones as the poly bushes are too harsh for any small handling improvement.

As always it's your car and your money.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Wullie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:29 am

drumtochty wrote:Welcome to the forum Wullie

Te exhaust and inlet on the MX5 only change the noise profile, they do nothing for performance I'm afraid.

The general opinion on bushes is if they are worn replace with Mazda ones as the poly bushes are too harsh for any small handling improvement.

As always it's your car and your money.

eddie

Being NA im not going to chase power but I would like a slightly better exhaust note :)
Ahh cool, I am glad you told me that! Having no real knowledge of these cars I dont know what is worth doing and what isnt, your input is welcome!
Out of interest, rather than coilovers does a decent shock/spring/both change offer good results?

Cheers
Wullie

Postby drumtochty » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Due to where we live I like the max ground clearance so the suspension is standard.

I have driven a MK1 which was lowered and had heavier anti roll bars.

The steering was very direct but it would not get up our track.

One of the other will be along to advise on coilovers.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to New Users