Hi all from Dundee.....struggling.....

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Hi all from Dundee.....struggling.....

Postby 1600Eman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi all,
Been researching for a good MX5 for a few weeks now before even viewing and keep coming back to the Mk2/2.5 corrosion issues, particularly the chassis rails and the difficulty inspecting them.

I am basically looking for a summer toy which will be used only at weekends, hopefully in the dry :lol: I do like the idea of a fully loaded mk2.5 sport but reading numerous posts is putting me off with the thought of taking a sellers word that underneath is fine or not being able to inspect on their driveway etc.

I don't mind the idea of a pampered mk1 and I have seen a few with < 50k, again advertised with the "no rust" assurance but all are darn sarf, not letting this put me off as have travelled in the past for a good few decent cars. Just not too keen on no LSD or ABS though and would prefer to have a well looked after UK spec than Eunos. I am also thinking that the MK1 appears to be appreciating now so another plus for that choice.

Have looked at a few MK3s also but the body style just doesn't do it for me. MK3 MR2s and Z3s have been considered but now firmly off the list.

So....I'm guessing a rust free MK1 with MK2.5 running gear and interior just does not exist and the question is.....is the bad press MK2.5s currently getting justified or is it just a case of hanging around until an enthusiast owned original example comes along with rust prevented or treated??

Cheers guys
1600Eman
OC Member
graham c
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Hi all from Dundee.....struggling.....

Postby drumtochty » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:17 am

In certain cases you can repair the front chassis rails on a MK2.5 for less than you think as repair sections are now available. Not all cases

You are the buyer so if you like a Mk2.5, demand that it is taken to a local garage and at your cost remove the under tray and have it examined. Then get it put back on.

It is likely the 10mm bolts will shear coming out so it will be held back on with cable ties.

If people are not happy for this to be done just walk away.

If you are not prepared to pay for this inspection then keep away from a Mk2.5 end of story.

You have to decide if you want to change your car every year or so. If you want to keep the car, the rust repair is just the cost of keeping an older car that you like.

On the other hand if cash is king or you are embarrassed about telling friend how much the car cost to keep on the road or if you have a certain cash pain level stay away from a Mk2.5.

As they rust from the inside it is unlikely that an enthusiastic past owner will stop it rusting.

Yes, the cost of minter Mk1's are going up in price but £10k for a Mk1 as you can get for a nice Frogeye Sprite is some time away.

If you will change it in a year or two as you will have got board of it then get a Mk3 or reasonable Mk1.

eddie

Lots of Midget and Spitfire owners are spending around £6k to £10 k getting their cars back to spec after buying them.

These cas are not realy making tha much money and are say 50 years old.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:43 am

Hello,

Check out Goodwood Sportscars in Berwick upon Tweed, Steve ususally has a selection of very sound MK1's. In fact there were a couple of newly imported ones available if they haven't been sold.

http://www.goodwoodsportscars.co.uk/

You'll get LSD/ABS/Electric Windows on some models of MK1.

Ian
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby 1600Eman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Thanks for replies guys, think im leaning towards the MK1 so will need to check out insurance for an import in case I go for the extras and the "possibility" of less rust. I'm guessing it's not going to be too much over a UK car.

Will have to weigh up the pros and cons of the age related wear and tear of MK1s ABS, electric windows, air con etc etc. Particularly as not using car year round so these luxuries may well be redundant.

Thanks again!
1600Eman
OC Member
graham c
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby DAN@ADRIAN FLUX » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:54 am

1600Eman wrote:Thanks for replies guys, think im leaning towards the MK1 so will need to check out insurance for an import in case I go for the extras and the "possibility" of less rust. I'm guessing it's not going to be too much over a UK car.

Will have to weigh up the pros and cons of the age related wear and tear of MK1s ABS, electric windows, air con etc etc. Particularly as not using car year round so these luxuries may well be redundant.

Thanks again!

Hi,
If you need any help with with a UK model or an import then please feel free to drop me a line if you like.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Postby OldSpice » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:04 am

As an owner of both a Mk2.5 which had, against my better judgement, nearly 3k spent on it replacing chassis legs, rear wings & sills ( all new OEM parts..no cutting & filler jobs), and the owner of a 94 Mk1, I'd offer the view that as weekend toy, the Mk1 wins hands down. Yes, you will need to exercise extreme caution with the rear cills & arches, check the front lower wings, look for accident damage, cambelt & water pump changes etc but I personally find the Mk1 more rewarding as "a toy" than the Mk2.5. I usually take the Mk1 out at weekends over the Mk2.5 for short jaunts...and that's after using it for a weekly commute totalling 300 miles. To be fair, if I could use ( SWMBOs) Mk2.5 for that commute I would purely on safety grounds, but there we go. The Sport eats miles with ease. I've used the Sport for sprints to Wales & back with no issues. Equally, I did 2026 miles in 6 days in the Mk1, and it was great all the way from Fort George to Portsmouth & back doing this for H-4-Heroes.
I was knackered...thr Mk1 asked for a light-bulb and some petrol!

The Mk2.5 is a vastly superior "vehicle" ( if it's not dissolving) on many levels but the Mk1 is what it is...a tribute to Colin Chapman that actually does what it says on the tin. You just cannot say that of any subsequent "Young Pretender" evolutions. Relatively crude, less refined, slower, and potentially age-problematical the Mk1 may be, I believe after a collective 14 years of ownerships & over 100,000 joint miles nothing comes close to a Mk1. No pretentions, just raw fun and grins every mile..complete with "optional" squeaks, rattles, quirks. :lol: Each their own though, and opinions differ :wink:

Have some: :(
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby robert craig » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:31 pm

We'll said totally agree with Robin, we own a mk3.5 kuro and 93 mk1 quite happy to use any of them. Great fun
Good luck with your search
Robert :D
robert craig
OC Member
Robert Craig

Postby 1600Eman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks again guys, some great advice there, especially for the mk 2.5

It's amusing (bordering on annoying) reading ads for mk 2/2.5s and how their "achillies heels" have been sorted and are usually described as leaky roofs, that all-important cam belt change or low mileage so no rust. ...yet never seen any mention of chassis rails!

Have been too busy lately so not had time to arrange to view any mk1s that have taken my interest. ....the search goes on. :?
1600Eman
OC Member
graham c
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby gar374 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi,

I had a similar dilemma to you and was eventually swayed away from the 2/2.5 for the reasons you've already mentioned. I bought my first MX5, a Mk3 2.0 Sport and within three weeks had a mk1 1.6 import as well.

I've now driven all of them, but not all the engines. I find the 1.6 mk1 engine to be great - loads of character, nice and revvy. The 1.8 engine in the 2/2.5 is a bit linear and therefore lacking in feel/character. The same can be said for the 2.0 Mk3. Just my opinion, please don't all shoot me down.

Has anyone mentioned, these things are addictive.

Enjoy hunting for the best you can get. I made the mistake of asking people to go for a run in their cars, as I'd never even been in one when I made the decision to buy one. I think thats why I now have 2.

Cheers
Gareth
gar374

Postby Czinski » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:38 am

As a Mk2.5 owner for the past 2 years I would echo the comments already made!

I think it's a great car and a perfect compromise between fun and usability, mine's a Sport in standard form and I've found it extremely comfortable - took it to France last year and it ate up the boring motorway miles with no problem whatsoever, in fact I'd go so far as to say that the seats are more comfortable on long journeys than our daily Kia (my wife agrees!)
Also had it on a couple of track days and it's a real blast there too.

BUT....the rust is a big issue - mine's showing signs of going in the usual places as mentioned above and is likely to need some fairly serious money spent on it for the next MOT. Unfortunately that's not going to happen (due to the imminent arrival of twins!) so the plan is to enjoy it when I can over the summer then take it off the road and have it as a long term project (I'm taking 10-15+ years, something that I can hopefully work on with the boys when they're old enough - who knows it may be worth a fortune by then....)

It all comes down to choosing which Mk best suits your needs then spend the time finding the best example you can - if it's going to be a keeper it's definitely worth spending a bit more up front to get a really good one rather than ending up spending even more over the years to fix up a bad one!
2001 Mk2.5 Silver S-Vt Sport 1.8
Czinski

Postby 1600Eman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:12 pm

Cheers guys,

I think the mk2.5 Sport would be my first choice as far as comfort/performance is concerned, but MK1 on looks and potentially a lot less of corrosion expense.

There are quite a few very good looking mk1 1.6s for sale but the engine is always the 90 bhp version so that's a no go for me.

Concentrating on MK1 1.8 models just now.
1600Eman
OC Member
graham c
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 1600Eman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Would appreciate opinions on this please, and an idea of price assuming accurate description. Not my favourite colour but it is nice with the tan interior.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221423705958&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
1600Eman
OC Member
graham c
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:59 pm

As it's a 91 it may have the short nose crankshaft which some say will fail others say it is as reliable as the long nose crankshaft.

The short nose crank has four slots on the circumference of the crank pulley. The later long nose has eight slots on the crank slots.

My guess nearer to £1,000 to £1,500.

I do not think it will have ABS but I could be wrong on that one.

It does not look rusty but it is 24 or so years old so always assume say £500 to £1,000 to do the back end sometime.

It does look nice.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby gm » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:49 am

That looks like a really well cared for car, if it is as good as he says it is, you could be onto a winner. It will not have abs but will very likely have a viscous differential. The only non standard part I can see is the gear nob, even the CD player is correct.

Of the 5 mx5s I've owned, the v-spec is the one that I remember most fondly, even though it was a rusty old tub. The wooden steering wheel and leather seats give it a very civilised air, it still got flung round the track a good few times though :)

Some useful info on model spec here

I've put "your car" in my watch list, my prediction is it will sell off eBay and we will never know for how much, although I would guess around £1500-£1700
gm

Postby 1600Eman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:18 am

The seller has replied and says he will take no less than £ 2250, been offered 2k twice apparently. As mentioned, the colour is not my favourite and the crank. ...and no tax.....will give it a miss :(
1600Eman
OC Member
graham c
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby liathach » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:45 am

He is surely dreaming?!
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby 1600Eman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:38 am

He may be dreaming........but this, if a little cheaper is getting close. I'm thinking no immediate maintenance or rustproofing needed!! SNC again but the timing belts been done. If only the AC was ok......and leather.....and Torsen.....and 1.8is......I could go on :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Eunos-Ro ... 4d1c327172
1600Eman
OC Member
graham c
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:23 pm

The AC is using the old system so a big problem to get it working if fitted.

I know that I'm arguing against myself here but lets look at the market for ragtops.

Mint Frogeye north of £12k, nice condition £8k, bucket probably £3k and needs £15k spent on it.

Mint chrome bumper Midget say £6 to £8k, nice car but not mint say £4k, rough rubber bumper say £1,000.

Aye and they are not that reliable and do you want to drive from Aberdeen to the south of England in then?????????????????????.

Very nice MX5 Mk1 as the last car linked to is £2k.

Say you spend £1,500 on not so nice car, at some time the rear end needs a tidy and a front wing needs replaced circa £1,000.
If it is a keeper then it needs rustproofed and if you do not have the facilities say £350 plus.

If it needs a big service and the cambelt plus water pump and some brakes say £500.

That is over £3k and if you go on to the mgmidget.com site the guy says do not buy a car and restore it as it is cheaper to buy a project that someone has finished.

These very nice cars around £2 to £2.5 are cheaper than doing it yourself unless you can do bodywork and the mechanical stuff.

There are three problems with them for me.

No air bags, no ABS and to keep it in that condition you cannot use it every day.

For those who have been at my house, the track would soon see to those cars not looking very smart very soon.

Yes nice MK1's are on the way up but not for me.

OK back to tidying up the garage for the tech day tomorrow.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 1600Eman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:36 pm

Thanks Eddie,

Yeah, the AC is probably R12 and not worth the hassle to repair.

I am looking for an MX5 which I do not intend using more than the odd summer weekend. I have a 1600E which I wished I'd never started restoring and would still prefer to pick up a show example that someone has lavished a good few quid on, so, I am on the hunt for something which has had a decent bit of preventative work done with low(ish) miles as it should'nt be too hard to keep in good nick.
1600Eman
OC Member
graham c
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 1600Eman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:31 am

Prices on the up?
The green V-Special sold within 2 days
1600Eman
OC Member
graham c
MX-5 OC Club Member

Next

Return to New Users