New Member in Perth

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

New Member in Perth

Postby The Darg » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:35 am

Hi guys and gals.
Confession time: I never wanted an MX5. Since I was a teenager I have lusted after an MGB, but of course, life got in the way; kids, dogs, work, finance, all the usual things that stand between who we are and who we want to be. Then, a few weeks ago, I realised that I had reached a stage in life when I could realise my dream. Not only mthat, if I didn't do something about it soon, I'd be too old and fat to get in (and out of!) a sports car anyway.
So I started doing some serious research. And discovered some depressing facts. For about £10,000 I could get a beautifully restored 'B, that had "never driven in the rain," been "garaged all winter" etc. Not having a garage, did I want to watch my new pride and joy rot to bits at the kerbside! No.
The alternative was to buy a cheapie for about £1500, which was already rotting anyway, and probably wouldn't start (lovely as MGBs are, they are still Leylands)
Them a friend suggested an MX5. Although I was aware of them, I hadn't really paid them much attention but, when I did some research, they sounded better and better. The AutoTrader review read like the MX5 fan club. Soon I was hooked, and started looking and, a few weeks ago, I made two serious purchases for my birthday. One was a senior railcard, with a rail ticket to Berwick, and on arrival there I bought my J reg MX5 Eunos in BRG. And I'm in love!
Now that I have my new toy, I look forward to meeting you at... well just about anywhere, really. France sounds good...
Meantime, the sun is shining, and Kenmore is calling!
The Darg

Re: New Member in Perth

Postby gm » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:58 pm

Welcome ! You will not regret buying a 5, they are wonderful little cars.

I'm guessing that it is this one that you bought ?

http://www.goodwoodsportscars.co.uk/gallery_582955.html#

Looks very nice, fairly standard but is that a Nardi steering wheel and a beefy exhaust I see ? Mazdaspeed badge on the rear too.

There are a load of folk out on a run in your area today, you might catch them at lunch if you nip down the a90

http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?t=13123

I'm just getting ready for work so miss out on this lovely top down weather :(
gm

Postby DavieW » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:54 pm

Welcome from a fellow Perthshire 5'er. I'll keep an eye out for you.
DavieW
OC Member
David Waddell
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby tjay » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi Darg and welcome to Mx5 ownership and the fun that it brings with it, come on a run like the one we had today (12 cars roof down all day !!) and you will be grinning from ear to ear !
We have 4 members who stay in Perth / Scone and others scattered throughout the Tayside area and Fife but, always more welcome.
There is another run on the 30th if interested, details are in the events section. hope to meet up with soon.
Cheers :D
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby slartibartfast » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi Darg (and DavieW !)

We are in Scone and have a dark Blue Mk3 Roadster Coupe (metal hingy top) and a Red Mk2 (at the moment). We had a yellow MK1 California in the past. Cracking wee cars and a nice bunch of folk who drive them :-)

Hopefully see you around

Ian & Aileen
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby The Darg » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:01 am

Well spotted, GM, that's the one. I have replaced what I felt was a rather naff front number plate with a standard one, though, in case you see me going about. Having spent Saturday giving it a good wash and polish (finally a dry day) I managed to find a pinkie-nail sized rust patch where the sill joins what would be the door column on a four door, but that's it. It's clearly been re-sprayed at some time, as there are smal areas of light over- spray in the door handles, and in places (like the lower doors) the finish could be better, but other than that it's great. And the drive is everything it's claimed to be.
Wonderful little car!
I need to do a bit of research on steering wheels - not sure of the significance of Nardi wheels yet!
See you at the end of the month, I hope.
The Darg

Return to New Users