Garage around Aberdeen to look at folding hard-top

Details of Trusted and Recommended garages in the North of Scotland.

Garage around Aberdeen to look at folding hard-top

Postby ajaymitchell » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Noticed the rear deck of my folding hard top is catching the roof panel when it is put down. Actually looks like the roof panel doesn't go down quite as far on one side before the deck comes down. Guess first of all - has anybody had the same issue? And who around Aberdeen would be best to take a look? Thinking it might be Mazda Aberdeen unless there's a garage with an MX5 experienced mechanic?
ajaymitchell

Re: Garage around Aberdeen to look at folding hard-top

Postby IanH » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:44 pm

In Aberdeen it would be Arnold Clark, I wouldn't take a power hard top issue to an independent as much as I loathe the main dealer experience.

Nearest similar issue I have seen is this http://www.mx5driver.com/thread/2710/prht-clonking
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby drumtochty » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:49 pm

The roof is very complicated and there is an online sorting guide available but it is all controlled by it's own ecu that you need a Mazda dealer code reader to diagnose faults.

Unless you know what you are doing and the fact that only a few of them have gone wrong suggests that even the guys in the dealers garage may not have looked at them before.

There is a posting on the OC forum about this a year or so ago and the bits to fix it were in the region of £1,500.

Eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ajaymitchell » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:12 pm

I would be massively surprised if it was a complex fix given the roof itself actually works fine, it's just the roof panel seems to be 3-5mm higher on one side than the other when it goes down - so the bottom of the deck catches when it comes down. Will post a couple photos later to better show the issue.
ajaymitchell

Postby drumtochty » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:19 pm

Wish you luck on that one but you seem to be quite well informed on the problem so it will be nice when you report back with the easy fix.

Keep us informed of how you fixed it for future reference as quite a few of us have an RC.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ajaymitchell » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Just been out for a more detailed look and have managed to resolve it by removing a jar of my girlfriend's moisturising cream from the nook right in the corner behind her seat. It had obviously fallen out her bag and was stopping the panel from going down fully! Glad it didn't cause more damage as she'd of had some making up to do!
ajaymitchell

Postby IanH » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:49 pm

ajaymitchell wrote:Just been out for a more detailed look and have managed to resolve it by removing a jar of my girlfriend's moisturising cream from the nook right in the corner behind her seat. It had obviously fallen out her bag and was stopping the panel from going down fully! Glad it didn't cause more damage as she'd of had some making up to do!

Glad it was something simple and not the worn/broken cog problem :D
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby ajaymitchell » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:01 pm

Only just started getting some free cash to spend on little mods/extras for it so last thing I needed was a hefty repair bill!
ajaymitchell

Return to North Scotland Garages