Hello from Musselburgh

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Hello from Musselburgh

Postby Bilbicus » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi folks,

All going well I'll be picking up my first MX-5 on Thursday in Glasgow. It's a 2003 sliver Nevada, 50k on the clock, in seemingly immaculate condition with hard top, after doing my research on here I now know to check the front chassis and under the passenger carpet! I have seen the car but not had a chance to test drive it yet. Going to do that on Thursday.

Was hoping to come along to the 7th December event (I'm originally from Grangemouth) but I have to look after my parent's dogs while they go off for their wedding anniversary.

Previously an X1/9 owner, attracted to the MX-5 as I loved having a sports car, and think I would really enjoy one that started at least nine times out of ten.

Will post pics here when I pick up the car - I spoke to a helpful chap from John Hastie's Garage in Prestonpans who told me what to check for on the car (hand brake travel, clutch whine, see if the timing belt was replaced at the 48k service etc) so I feel slightly more prepared than I was when I bought my last car.

Looking forward to getting out and about and meeting some other owners and making the car my own - although I may be driving my Punto about for most of the winter!

Bilbicus
2003 MK2.5 MX-5 Nevada Edition, 1.8i, Cerion Silver, all original
Bilbicus

Re: Hello from Musselburgh

Postby tjay » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:21 pm

Hello and welcome to both club and forum. Had a blue Nevada a few years ago, nice car,if you have any questions ask via here there is bound to someone who will point you in the right direction. :D
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanN » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:46 pm

Welcome to the forum and hopefully MX-5 ownership :)
I would expect MX-5's to start 10 times out of 10 :D
Hope to see you at some of our events next year, keep an eye on website for all the details.
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Hope all goes well with the car
JimF
OC Member
Jim Ford
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Bilbicus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:19 pm

Thanks guys, fingers crossed my bank comes through with the loan money on time, otherwise I could be putting it on the credit card...!

If the car is ok and I am a happy MX-5 owner come Thursday then all I need to worry about is what happens when my newly-passed-her-test partner gets a shot and decides she likes it more than the 2001 Punto I just gave her...what are the chances do you think...?!
Bilbicus

Postby petrov » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:01 am

Hi

Your partner will be taking the mx from you if you give her a shot !Do remind her that it is rear wheel drive and probably completely different from what she passed her test in !

ps are you JK from Jamiroquai ?
petrov

Postby Bilbicus » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:43 pm

Hello all,

Well I took the plunge and after a whole load of haggling and calls to the insurance company I was able to drive off with my first MX5.

It has a private plate from the previous owner which is being transferred, so soon it shall be back to it's plate when first registered which is SH53 CZN.

The radio keeps switching over from the CD to the radio but only does it once every time it is switched on, so going to try find the manual online for the unit so I can reset it. That's the only annoyance. I love it, the drive feels similar to my old X1/9 but without all the glitches (sorry, "quirks"!)

Here's some pics:

MX53.jpg
MX51.jpg
MX54.jpg
Bilbicus

Postby Bilbicus » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:45 pm

P.S. I not JK from Jamiroquai, wish I had his collection of cars though!
Bilbicus

Postby KenG » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:11 pm

For a 10 year old car it looks nice and clean and the hard-top will be huge benefit at this time of year!

Ah the old X 1/9. A joy of Italian flair, styling and electrical issues!! The MX 5 is at the opposite end of that spectrum in terms of reliability..........

Enjoy.

Ken
KenG

Postby IanN » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Good looking car :)
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Return to New Users