Hello from Aberdeenshire

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Re: Hello from Aberdeenshire

Postby overdrive » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:29 am

Cheers Tjay. It will have more pressing repairs than those arches for now, so i might just take them back to metal and kurust them in the meantime to keep it at bay. Bootlid will need replaced though, and sorting the electrics is the priority for now (and insurance, tax, and all that thoroughly dull stuff...)
overdrive

Postby drumtochty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Overdrive.

Selective picture there, I notice no sign of the MR2!!!!!!!

Waste of time trying to do kurrust on the rear wing as it is rusting from the inside out and will be through again with a month or so. The hood looks to be in good nick!

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby overdrive » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Ok, ok, here's the '2:

Yea, the hood is in pretty good nick apart from the internal mould. No leaks! As for the arches, you're probably right. I'll try to keep them at bay for the moment and crack them properly when the time comes.
overdrive

Postby drumtochty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:31 pm

Yes

Get that mould off and that would be a result.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby overdrive » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:42 pm

You have PM Eddie!
overdrive

Postby overdrive » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:03 pm

Well, big thanks to Eddie for the loan of a spare alternator. I threw it on tonight and jumped the little MX5 again...

No joy. Still got 9v at the battery. Back to the drawing board i think... :?
overdrive

Postby drumtochty » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 pm

You have to rig up a known good battery some how and then start it and see if the voltage goes to normal with the existing MX5 battery out the equation.

One other thing, remove the battery connectors, rig up another battery and measure the current with everything switched off and the doors closed.

It should be about 25 mililamps.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby overdrive » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:37 pm

I had hoped that would be the miracle cure, nothings ever simple!

Need the MR2 for commuting tomorrow so didnt want to go ripping its battery out. Will have a crack at it again tomorrow night and see what the old battery's ampage and the MR2's battery produces....
overdrive

Postby drumtochty » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Any healthy car battery will sufficient grunt to turn it over.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby overdrive » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:10 pm

overdrive

Postby overdrive » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:14 pm

That looks like a winner! Dicky battery! Granted, its still got Eddies alternator on it, so i'll throw the old one on this weekend and see if thats the cure.

One way or another, its an easy fix! :D
overdrive

Postby Laverda 3ce » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:36 pm

overdrive wrote:but trust me, buying a used car battery is a false economy.

!!

I don't agree with you on this.
I've just bought my 5 second hand a few weeks ago so should I just junk the battery as obviously it must be second hand too? No, I don't think so. :roll:
The battery that I was talking about came out of a car that the guy used as a donor for a kit car.
If I was short of money and needed a battery I'd give it a punt at £10.
Laverda 3ce
OC Member
Sandy Smith
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:35 pm

Great a result then! What about the sticky rear bearing is that causing any noise?
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby overdrive » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:39 am

Laverda 3ce wrote:
overdrive wrote:but trust me, buying a used car battery is a false economy.

!!

I don't agree with you on this.
I've just bought my 5 second hand a few weeks ago so should I just junk the battery as obviously it must be second hand too? No, I don't think so. :roll:
The battery that I was talking about came out of a car that the guy used as a donor for a kit car.
If I was short of money and needed a battery I'd give it a punt at £10.

Steady on, I'm only trying to advise on my own experience. :? Personally, i would ditch it if there was any doubt over it, but each to their own...

drumtochty wrote:Great a result then! What about the sticky rear bearing is that causing any noise?

It certainly is. No doubt about it as it gets louder when cornering right. (Yea, took it a cheeky back road test drive). They rest seems OK. Still throwing a bit of white steam out, but it was diminishing as it warmed up. Think its just damp, but even a HG change is actually an easier prospect than rust treatment for me! Unlikely as it didn't boil over and held temp fine whilst standing.

Also caught some steam wisping from the radiator. Again, i think its latent damp as it was gone once up to temperature and the fan started kicking in.

Going to pull your alternator off this weekend and thrown the old one back on, just to rule it out as a faulty part or not. In all fairness, it was probably just a knackered battery all along.

Other than that, a bloody good clean is on the cards! :D
overdrive

Postby overdrive » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Cleaned!

Had a wee blast on th bearing too. Checked the rear and couldnt find any obvious signs of wear. Checked the front and found it rumbling the minute i turned the wheel. Stripped the hub down and re-torqued the bearing, now its quiet as a mouse!

Just waiting for my MR2 policy to lapse then i will insure the MX5 for the road. Best quote so far was £200! :D
overdrive

Postby overdrive » Fri May 03, 2013 9:31 am

Slight departure from the plan. As mentioned, the original plan was to wait until the MR2's insurance lapsed, then use the no claims to insure the MX5. Unfortunately, the MR2 spat its guts a bit sooner, so the MX5 has been pressed into service early. (RIP MR2)

Insured and taxed, i took it for a decent spin to check out how much of it still worked. Clearly, there was a worn rear N/S bearing, so a trip to Euro Car Parts (other motor factors are available, fnar) and i was one new bearing up.

A lot of folk say you really need a press to do bearings like these. Essentially, the rear hub carrier of the mx5 has a sealed bearing unit pressed into it, then the hub itself gets pressed into the internal part of the bearing and held in place with the CV joint. As these are interference fit, they can be hard work to separate. I disagree...

First thing to do, get the carrier off the car, and mount it in a vice. Then, apply hammer in vigorous and brutal fashion...

This will get the hub out easily. Usually it takes half the sealed unit with it, but cutting a relief in it not only helps loosen the bearings outer shell, but heats it too causing it to fall off. Next, more brutal hammering...

ITS CROWNING! I've got a huge socket on the end of that extension to touch on the outer shell of the bearing. More bang bang and...

Sealed unit out. I got a bit adventurous with the fitting of the new unit. A circlip holds the sealed unit into the carrier, so it had to go in before the hub. I threw the bearing in the freezer for an hour, and hit the carrier with a blowtorch. Made no odds whatsoever, as it still took the mother of all pounding to get it in.

Tried the same with chilling the hub, but i think it was a false economy.

Anyway, once all back together, it got thrown at this:

...greased, retorqued, and driven.

Much better, a lot less grumbly, but there still is a milder rumble coming from somewhere. As its mechanical i will need to source it sooner rather than later. I have a theory it may be the front one after i found it to be loose....
overdrive

Postby overdrive » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:12 am

Well folks, it's been a great run and a cracking car, but sadly it's time to let her go.

I've started making a kit car, which will use the engine, box, hubs diff and breaks. The shell (very rusty) and panels (some rusty) and all interior etc are available.

I've had great support from this club, and won't be profiteering on this break up. Not a fan of such tactics, and try to lead by example.

If anyone needs odds and ends, and you are willing to come up Aberdeen way, I'll sort you out with bits needed for as cheap as possible.

Oh, and since letting Mrs Overdrive loose in this one, its safe to say I will be back in mx5 ownership through her. This time maybe with less rust.

Thanks,

Tommy.
overdrive

Postby pcrmotorsport » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:15 pm

Hello there,just registered and couldn't help noticing "Hello From Aberdeenshire", I am involved with motor racing and the SMRC (Scottish Motor Racing Club) has a Go Motor Racing event in Aberdeen on the 26th Nov. I currently race a Mk1 Eunos and will have the car at the event to promote Scottish Mazda Racing. Trying to get people along so thought no harm in letting you know as you are fairly local!! It's at BMW Aberdeen Wellington Road AB12 3EW, come along if you want a look, everyone welcome!!!
pcrmotorsport

Postby pcrmotorsport » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Hello there, do you like motor racing???
pcrmotorsport

Postby Gavin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:27 am

A lot of people with 5s enjoy motor racing. Why don't you contact your local Area Co-ordinator to try to promote your event. That's what the Club is about after all.
2009 Convertible Coupe 2.0L Sport now that the 2005 LE and 2007 Z Sport Limited are dead.
Gavin
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Previous

Return to New Users