Hello - Still looking!

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Hello - Still looking!

Postby joda » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:31 am

Just joined the Forum to see what's forsale & happening locally!

Currently looking for a good mk1 project for a 2 week European road trip next year [ www.rust2rome.com done it this year, fantastic holiday! ]

Looking for something with a bit of MOT, interior condition doesn't really matter as long as its pretty solid and mechanically sound!!
Pre 1990 - Classic Ford Parts Wanted!
joda

Re: Hello - Still looking!

Postby OldSpice » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:56 am

Good luck with that.
Without seeming facetious the vast majority of sub £1,500 Mk1s will be rotting...somewhere! You may be lucky to find one that has been fixed..properly.
Forget that JDM Roadsters are less rusty. Most have been in the UK long enough to go porous with the rest of them.
If you find a cheap one, bother less about the mechanicals. A replacement engine is less than £200.00, a gearbox £50.00 or thereabouts and all the oily bits are common place & cheap if you hunt. What can be expensive (people try to lift your leg :wink: ) are bits like coil packs, C.A.S, ECU's & brake calipers.
What will give you serious grief are rear cills,arches, leaky hoods, leaks in general, cooling systems, LSD's that are no longer LSDs but have reverted to "open" with age, and general "ghetto bodging" :roll: .
However, there are still rot free crisp genuine peaches out there as well...hiding somewhere!
Have fun though! :D
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:42 pm

Robin,

Have you not read the magazines and heard on the Internet that these MX5's are bullet proof.

I was told that there is one mistake on the Internet among all the info available but no one has found it yet!

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby joda » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Paint and bodywork isnt to much of an issue for me, but would just prefer not to have the hassle! [have an RS2000 getting welded front to back at the moment :roll: ]

You mention cooling problems, what is the main cause of this? old blocked radiators?

This year on the trip we were driving in +35 with the heater on, hence why im thinking a convertible this year!

There was a good one on Gumtree fife this weekend for £750, but by time i phoned it was gone!!
Pre 1990 - Classic Ford Parts Wanted!
joda

Postby OldSpice » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:19 pm

drumtochty wrote:Robin,

Have you not read the magazines and heard on the Internet that these MX5's are bullet proof.

I was told that there is one mistake on the Internet among all the info available but no one has found it yet!

eddie

I'm soo sorry my dear chap. I forgot. They are as everlasting as a Greek God. :lol:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby OldSpice » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:26 pm

joda wrote:Paint and bodywork isnt to much of an issue for me, but would just prefer not to have the hassle! [have an RS2000 getting welded front to back at the moment :roll: ]

old blocked radiators?

Pretty much.
The plastic radiator tops go a beautifully aluring olive green.. :mrgreen:
Very pretty...until they rupture & make Old Faithfull look wimpish!
Then there are rotting heater pipes into the bulkhead if oil from the CAS has been allowed to drip on them.
Then....dodgy water pumps if it was not done with the cambelt.
Just the usual stuff..sludge..age..lack of proper servicing.
You know what to look for. :wink:
OldSpice

Return to New Users