Hello from Kintore, Aberdeenshire

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Hello from Kintore, Aberdeenshire

Postby raveydave76 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi folks,

While on holiday in the baking sunshine in Northern Ireland in July, I spied a Mk3 2.0 in Winning Blue outside one of the used car dealerships in Boucher Road, Belfast. It was still there 10 days later, so I gave it a whirl. First time in an MX5. Absolutely magic. I bought the car pretty soon afterwards! She'd done 40k miles from 2 previous owners and was first registered in January 2007. Slightly worryingly, according to the mazda service history printout she's only done 2,700 miles in the last two years. I expect that with so little use she'll need a bit of TLC to keep her running smoothly.

I had to fly back from Aberdeen to get it and drove it over on the boat on 6th August with my sister for a bit of a road trip. The car replaces an old faithful Skoda Fabia which had become too expensive to keep on the road.

So, the bucket list:
1) New rear tyres. The current set (HiFly HF201) while they have plenty of tread left have virtually no grip in the wet. Cheap as chips and must have been put on the car to get her through a previous MOT. She fishtailed spectacularly up the tyrebagger in 3rd under moderate acceleration on the way to work last week. A pair of Uniroyal Rainsport 2's are heading my way as I type following advice gleaned over on the oc website. I hope to get them on next week. I'll follow that up with a trip to Jim Reid's in Kintore who have apparently taken over the running of the Hunter 4-wheel alignment kit formerly owned by Clark Motorsport.

2) A set of winter wheels and tyres. This wee motor is going to have to get me in and out to work as a daily commuter and if the winter is anything like the last 2 I'm going to need a decent bit of rubber underneath. I'm easy on whether to get steels or a second set of alloys. Anybody run winters on their MX5? Any preferred tyres for a 205/50 R16? Anybody know of a set of alloys on the go?

3) A hard top. It's been amazingly difficult to track down a Mk3 hard top. They appear to be like hen's teeth unless you intend buying one new for £1,250+ (which I don't). Any pointers gratefully received.

4) Alloy refurbishment. Although they look mint on the outside, the paint is flaking off the inside of at least two of the wheels, so I guess I'm going to have to pay PPS a visit in Inverurie to have them re-done at some point. I don't know if they still do alloy refurbs, but the guys there got rave reviews on pistonheads for their work.

5) Waxoyl/Dinitrol treatment. I've seen some great work done on MX5's on the oc forums but the place is nowhere near me! If anyone knows of someone somewhere more local I'd be again grateful for any pointers.

Anything else I should be considering other than having her serviced? Of course a lot of this may have to remain in the realms of a pipe dream since geting all of this done would cost half as much as I paid for the car... 1 and 2 are pretty much certainties, but as for the rest I doubt I'd be able to justify all of it to the wife :D !

Anyway, hope to see some of you out there!

Cheers,
Dave
2007 Mk3 2.0 Winning Blue
raveydave76
OC Member
Dave Miller

Re: Hello from Kintore, Aberdeenshire

Postby drumtochty » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Welcome to the forum Dave.

Mk3 hardtops are as you say very scarce.

If this car is a daily driver in Aberdeenshire you would be very brave to drive it in the winter without winter tyres.

A set of 16" alloys will not be cheap as a lot of people will be after them so we are talking over say £600 for a good set of winter tyres and a set of alloys. Some companies do packages of winters on steel wheels.

Even with winters you will have clearance issues in snow.

Would be nice to have you along on Sunday for the run to the west. See the event part of the site.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby raveydave76 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the welcome :) .

As you say, winter tyres are a must in these parts (especially on a light RWD like the MX5) and of all the things on my wish list they are far and away the most important. They're easily enough come by in 205/50 R16 and I can pick up a 2nd hand set of alloys for £300 plus another £300 or so for tyres and fitting. Not cheap but a necessary evil. I've made sure I've had winter rubber on my last 3 cars and this one will be no different. Clearance as you say will be more of an issue than with previous motors but if it the snow gets really bad I have another option in a Ford S-Max for which I already have a set of winter tyres in the garage.

She won't be garaged hence the inclusion of a hard top on the list but they're extremely difficult to come by and tend to go 2nd hand for £600-£700+ plus fitting kit. I think I may get a half cover to keep the worst of the overnight frost/ice off and hope for the best.

The run on Sunday looks like a fantastic day out, but I'm tied up this weekend with domestic duties (3 kids :D ). I'll hopefully be able to get along to one or two events soon and get some advice on what to look out for with the MX5 and where to go for servicing etc.

Great site this. It's good to see such a vibrant community on the go!

Cheers,
Dave
raveydave76
OC Member
Dave Miller

Postby drumtochty » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Three advantages of a hard top

Security if you live in an inner city, that 's both of us out of that.

Probably better at stopping drips when you come out and in the car on a rainy day.

Reduce noise and probably make the car a bit more solid if installed and tightened up.

Probably a bigger rear window so a lighter cabin than when the hood is up.

Ok that's four reasons.

Against.

The need stored on proper brackets or they will get out of shape which causes wind noise, that's the case with the Mk1 and Mk2 and they can get chipped in storage, so where are you going to store it.

We live up a track in Drumtochty so most years too much ice and snow in December and January but there is never a month between February and November when you cannot get the hood down in the MX5. I virtually only drive the MX5 with the hood down, we have an Impreza and a Jeep for ice and snow and taking more than two people. We do 9,000 miles a year in the MX's so that will be at least 8,200 miles with the hood down.

I will post later about undersealing.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Last edited by drumtochty on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby liathach » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Link not working Eddie.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby liathach » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:42 pm

But it does in the other posting.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby drumtochty » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Sorted!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby raveydave76 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Nice work Eddie. Saw your info about it on the other post. Shame the garage is booked up through September though!

Out of interest, how long did he have the car for? I take it the job takes 2-3 days?

NB would have been a cracking day today to be out for the west run!

Cheers,
Dave
raveydave76
OC Member
Dave Miller

Postby drumtochty » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:30 am

Car in on Tuesday to have the dent on the door fixed.

Turned up on Friday late afternoon and the dent was repaired and painted.

The guy had by then on the Friday cleaned the underneath and had removed the wheel arch liners. Due to the low mileage and due to the car spending most of it's life in the south of England, the bodyshop guy advised me there was virtually no underside surface damage therefore only the most minor touching up to be done underneath.

He masked the brakes etc and put on the underseal on the Saturday and removed the masking and put the replaced the wheel arch liners on the Monday.

So probably three working days to do the undersealing work.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to New Users