New Member From East Kilbride

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

New Member From East Kilbride

Postby jumperjobbie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:05 pm

How do folks?

Im a new member to this forum, my name is Joe, Im 42 and from EK.

Over the past 6 or 7 years I've hankered after an MX-5 but life and necessity has got in the way and I've been the owner of dull hatchbacks, however thats now changed and Im hankering again!

I plan to pick up an MX-5 Mk2 1.8 in the next few months, and I've joined this forum to learn as much about them as possible before buying. Ideally I'd like a dark green 1.8 Sport!

Mechanics is not my strong point although Im willing to get stuck into changing brakes and small things. The main thing that worries me is rust.

All the best

Joe
jumperjobbie

Re: New Member From East Kilbride

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:14 pm

The rear sills and rear arches rust. To repair approx £100 a side for rear sills or £450 a side if the sills and the arches need replaced.

The other problem is the front wings tend to rust but not both sides second hand say £100 and they are bolt on.

The new problem is the front chasis rails and if they are bad the car is a write off.

So unless you need an experianced person along with you to check it and the front chasis leg problem is only visable with the plastic undertray removed.

eddie

PS welcome to the forum.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: New Member From East Kilbride

Postby jumperjobbie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:25 am

drumtochty wrote:The rear sills and rear arches rust. To repair approx £100 a side for rear sills or £450 a side if the sills and the arches need replaced.

The other problem is the front wings tend to rust but not both sides second hand say £100 and they are bolt on.

The new problem is the front chasis rails and if they are bad the car is a write off.

So unless you need an experianced person along with you to check it and the front chasis leg problem is only visable with the plastic undertray removed.

eddie

PS welcome to the forum.

Thanks Eddie

Im guessing the chassis rails are the decider! I've seen quite a few good looking motors on Autotrader. I'll be buying from a trader so one of the questions I'll need to ask is if they'll let me have an RAC Inspection carried out, with attention paid to those rails.

I do expect to find, or encounter, rust at some point with the cars being as old as they are so Im prepared for some of that!!!
jumperjobbie

Return to New Users