Easter Weekend 15-17th April

Discussion about events organised by the Central Scotland region.
[Please do not cross-post]

Easter Weekend 15-17th April

Postby DouglasH » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:51 pm

Urgent...please see events about booking Hotel for weekend.
http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/events.php?event_id=128
DouglasH

Postby DouglasH » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:40 pm

This is the plan (so far) for the Easter week-end, anyone wanting to join us for part of the route or meet up at any point over the week-end would be most welcome, in particular any of the North Scotland members.

Route up on Saturday:-
Perth to Blairgowrie, Glenshee, Lunch around Braemar area, Grantown, Inverness then Ullapool.

The Sunday run:-
Possibly Ullapool to Applecross via Gairloch and Sheildaig and then around the coast which is a scenic run with views of Lochs and coastline (if the weather is OK....) and then from Applecross over the Beallach to Kishorn then back to Ullapool through Acnasheen and Garve - This is a fast section of wide open road through the glen and totally different from the winding single track roads of the morning.

Monday home:-
Home run we thought of was via Achnasheen joining the road from Skye just south of Lochalsh and then the route home we travelled up last year with lunch possibly at Onich.
DouglasH

Postby Danny » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:19 am

As I'm only an hour away I was hoping to tag along on the Sunday. Bealach na Ba is one of my very favourite Sunday afternoon drives (although I usually do it the other way round). 8)
2004 1.8i Sport - Strato Blue Mica
Danny

Postby The Pram » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:28 am

Hi, would love to come but I usually stay in the Waterside Guest House. Do we need to stay at the hotel you suggest?

also, might only manage the one night and coming from Aberdeen, not sure which would be the best night.

What are your thoughts?

Lorraine
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby DouglasH » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:09 am

Danny...excellent, will arrange to meet you somewhere, we can swap mobile numbers nearer the time. :D

Lorraine...Would be great if you could join us. No problem with where you stay, Saturday would be the best night though, you could meet us on the way up and join us in our hotel for the evening, this way you get to drive the best roads on the Sunday. :D
DouglasH

saturday

Postby rockdoc » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:55 pm

Douglas/
what time will you be at Blairgowrie - i might fancy a drive up to Braemar :?:
Andy
PROJECT DR EVIL- OLD MODEL-NEW PARTS
Trackdog school of driving attendee! deer attack survivee
http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php? ... =tis+begun
rockdoc

Postby DouglasH » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:38 pm

Andy...should be at Blairgowrie about 10.00, leaving Perth 9.30.
DouglasH

Postby The Pram » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:57 pm

Hi, room booked in the hotel for the 15th so we will see you all there. Hope that the weather is kind to us.

Lorraine
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby Richardn » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:16 pm

Lunch at Braemar? Spitall of Glenshee :D
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Lunch

Postby CharlesK » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:53 pm

Richard
Spittal of Glenshee was our first choice for lunch, however, having tried out the section from Perth to Carrbridge on Sunday we found that, contrary to the AA timings, we were in Glenshee within 1 hour and Braemar in 1hour 35 so we would need to have breakfast rather than lunch.

We are going to try out a hotel near Crathie this weekend
CharlesK
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Lunch

Postby kristoff » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:38 pm

chic and heather wrote:...We are going to try out a hotel near Crathie this weekend

You know Chic, I just don't know how you manage, life must be so difficult!
:mrgreen: :wink:
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

lunch

Postby CharlesK » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:34 pm

Chris
It is a bit nearer you so maybe you could do a report for us and save me the journey - no on the other hand when did a Yorkshireman know much about food :lol: and I would still probably get the bill... :twisted: Where is the best outlet for mushy peas these days ?
Cheers Chris
Chic
CharlesK
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: lunch

Postby kristoff » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:50 pm

chic and heather wrote:Chris
It is a bit nearer you so maybe you could do a report for us and save me the journey - no on the other hand when did a Yorkshireman know much about food :lol: and I would still probably get the bill... :twisted: Where is the best outlet for mushy peas these days ?
Cheers Chris
Chic

Ee, pie an' mushy peas wi' a bit o' mint sauce...champion! :)

Come to think of it Grommit lad, it would make a 'Grand Day' out!
:D
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Postby Richardn » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:05 am

kristoff wrote:
Cheers Chris
Chic

Eck! There's an idea. I'll start boiling t' peas now fo t' techy day!
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby kristoff » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:05 am

Richardn wrote:
kristoff wrote:
Cheers Chris
Chic

Eck! There's an idea. I'll start boiling t' peas now fo t' techy day!

Driving home with top down thoroughly recommended! :shock: :lol:
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Postby PaulDS » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:18 pm

After a plate full of mushy peas with vinegar,

I would think top down would be esstential !!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Postby BillB » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:46 pm

Just renewed my membership of the club this evening, as I am now based back in the UK. I might take a hose and polish to the '5' and get it ready for an Easter run. So if there is anyone from North of Inverness thinking of joining up on the run, let us know. We are only a chucky throw from Ullapool.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby BillB » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:11 pm

Did the Golspie to Applecross (via Ullapool) run on Saturday, beautiful day...but!!!!.....left the cameras at home....snow on the mountains, lochs like mirrors....empty roads.
So, guess what? We did the run again today in the opposite direction and went over the pass twice just for fun. This time with the cameras (and a packed lunch). Linda was just about to take a photo of the nice deer, when a golden eagle came into view, she even managed to catch it on the camera, it made the whole day.

Now! I think a packed lunch will be essential for the Easter run..we timed it and checked every village and possible lunch stop. The Applecross Inn was doing a good trade when we got there and I think a 25 car bomb load will be a non starter.
a) Not big enough to cater for that number.
b) Not much chance of making an advance booking as I think that anyone that makes the time and the effort to drive to Applecross only for a nice seafood lunch deserves one. I can't see the people at the Inn turning (near local) trade away because of the popularity of the place.
c) 25 cars on that single track road all the way from almost Kinlochewe to Applecoss will need careful monoitoring or a staggered start.
d) The bloody caravanetters are out already and even going over the pass.
e) There are no other pubs or restuarants until you hit Lochcarron (and god help you if you need the toilet!!!!! There is sweet FA from Applecross to Achnasheen).

You might be able to make a block advanced lunch booking at the hotel in Lochcarron, it looked quite nice and probably could cater for a large number. There is ample car parking at the hotel. The only problem would be to leave yourself plenty of time to get there given the single track roads and possible hold-ups with traffic. If you need anything else checked out, just email us.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby Danny » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:40 pm

Bill's point (c) concerns me a bit. A convoy of 25+ cars going over the Pass isn't going to endear itself to other motorists on one of the busiest weekends of the year. It'll need to be broken up in twos and threes at ten minute intervals (or whatever) - but I'm sure Douglas will have a cunning plan to deal with it!
2004 1.8i Sport - Strato Blue Mica
Danny

Postby DouglasH » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:40 am

Danny...Thanks for your concern, fortunately we should have no more than 16-18 cars on the day, and yes your right, Gavin and I have already discussed this matter with Chic & Heather, (the weekend organisers) about splitting the group up. The new Central Scotland practice regarding convoys (see other forum topic) will kick in this coming Sunday at the 'Carron Valley and Trossachs Trundle' Run.

The Cunning plan is :twisted: ...Bill & Linda have another early breakfast, head off before us and with the 'ROAD CLOSED AHEAD' sign he keeps in his garage, block the road at the other end of the Pass. :lol:

Disclaimer...only kidding.
DouglasH

Next

Return to Central Scotland