New Member-St Andrews

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

New Member-St Andrews

Postby cruise1 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi all...Happy to report just purchased our first MX-5...Mk 2.5 Euphonic 2004 with 40k on the clock.So far so good ! Delighted with the way the car looks and drives with only faults found so far being drivers seat heating not working and a bit of a strange knock when brake pedal released ? MOT till mid 2014 but will be getting it up on a ramp shortly with engine tray off soon to check rust progression on chassis and sills....(fingers crossed !!!!) arches (rear only) showing minor rust/bubbling which I have temporarily taken care of with rust remover and a good wire brushing ....it seems like at some point all of these cars succumb to the dreaded rust ? Strange for a 9 year old car but as long as it is roadworthy and not dangerous I guess we just need to be prepared for the inevitable ? Happlily it does not owe me a fortune and driving it puts a HUGE smile on my face !

/Users/info/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2013/27 Jun 2013/P1010108.JPG
/Users/info/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2013/27 Jun 2013/P1010122.JPG
cruise1

Re: New Member-St Andrews

Postby IanH » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:03 pm

Hello and Welcome, you appear to have the right attitude to the MX-5, great fun to drive, will rust.... :?

Watch out for my Daughter and her Friends doing the 'Hen' thing in St Andrews this weekend :shock:

:D
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby drumtochty » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The rust is a bit of a problem but don't think other cars that age are perfect but the MX5 is a bit worse.

Hope to see you out on a run with the Taysiders soon.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby aging eejit » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:56 pm

As Eddie and Iain said, welcome to the forum. Rust issue aside, they're otherwise pretty reliable and not the most expensive to put right...and I defy anyone to think of rust when they're behind the wheel on their favoutite country road.

Maybe see you on a Tayside run in the near future.

Cheers
Alex. :)

PS Eddie, rust on your Impreza??...you must be abusing it :wink:
aging eejit

Postby drumtochty » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:16 pm

aging eejit wrote:
PS Eddie, rust on your Impreza??...you must be abusing it :wink:

Alex

On the forums the rear arches on the original classic up to say 2000 are now a problem and being repaired for people with good pre 2000 Turbos.

There is an add on strengthening frame that is for crash protection on the post 2000 cars that is rusting and reasonably easy and cheap to replace. Say £200 less if you do it yourself. It passed the resent recal for the corroded front suspension arms.

I'm going to look at the Impreza later this week to see where the rear end rust is coming from but it is say 3 inches to the rear of the rear arch where the plastic bumper joins the rear quarter panel.

It's only done 70k and I was hoping to take it to 100k, large expense free as it is now worth very little.

Have you seen the price of a fairly new Audi 4 wheel drive car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby aging eejit » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:37 pm

Have you seen the price of a fairly new Audi 4 wheel drive car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sod just Audis Eddie, I get a cold sweat looking at the price of any near new 4x4. I'm currently 45000 into my 56 plate Forester and have just had to replace the exhaust. Had to take to the drink to recover from the shock of Subaru asking just over £1100 for the mid and rear box, and that's without the cat. In fairness to them, they did point out it came with a 3 year warranty :roll: Bless them. Couldn't even get any kwikfit/national/mcconachies type establishment to quote me for one either. Hence £400 odd smackers later I've got a stainless steel one courtesy of RJM in Fife. Touch wood, the biggest rust threat I have with it for the moment is the tow bar. Wire brush and Hammerite at the ready.

Apologies to Cruise for deviating off topic.

Cheers
Alex.
aging eejit

Postby drumtochty » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:58 pm

I got the same qote but went for the £750 Subaru stainless system. It was far to loud and droned. Subaru fitted the more expensive system for the same price and a quiet car again. Yes and again not the cat.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanN » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:55 am

I'll go back on topic :roll:

Hi Cruise welcome to the wonderful world of MX-5 motoring.

Why not check out the Central Scotland events page and feel free to join us on one of our fantastic days out.

http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/events.php ... on=central

Ian (No rust on my car as far as I know :wink: )
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby cruise1 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks for the warm welcome guys....even if some of you did hijack my thread with tales of Subaru and Audi ....only joking !! Loving this car so far but struggling to get the keys off my better half (and she was the one who said she knows nothing about cars and could not care less WHAT she drives !!)I will post pics when I can work out how to !
cruise1

Postby Dax » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:18 pm

Hello and welcome from another recent MX5 convert, already on my 2nd one, love the car and the community, looking forward to meeting you on a run. 8)
Dax

Postby JimF » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Hi Cruise
as others have said, welcome to the forum and MX5 motoring
JimF
OC Member
Jim Ford
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Laverda 3ce » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi and welcome aboard Cruise.
They're a friendly bunch here( ie most of them don't bite ) and only too happy to help out if they can.
It's good to have a fellow N.E. Fifer on board to help balance the numbers on Tayside runs and get togethers.
Hope to meet up soon at one if the events to put a face to a name.

Cheers

Sandy n Mgt. :D :D
Laverda 3ce
OC Member
Sandy Smith
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby tjay » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:59 pm

So another fifer joins the Tay5liders eh !! Welcome to both club and forum.sounds like a nice car and like some others you sound like you are able to do a wee bittie ! Yourself too ! Hope to meet up with you and the others once we get back to sunny Scotland.
We have now left Spain and are in France until end of the month, looking forward to getting out in the mx5 though.

Btw temp is 34c here and sunny but the beer is cold and so is the brandy and coke lol !!!
Cheers
Tom, jen and jake
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to New Users