Key fob not working

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Key fob not working

Postby S Shepherd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi,
My key fob isn't working, I have replaced the battery but it still isn't working. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Sarah
S Shepherd

Re: Key fob not working

Postby S Shepherd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:55 pm

Just found this reply from Ben C and it worked : ) Thanks Ben!

My key fob stopped working, I did the obvious and changed the battery. Still no luck. In the end I got the key fob to work by following these simple steps. It had taken me ages to find out how to do this on the internet and to be honest it was not as clear as my instructions below. So I've posted my instructions on this good forum for the benefit of others.... (if a moderator is able to make this a sticky in the relevent place, I would appreciate it)....

1). Keep drivers door open.

2). Insert key into ignition

3). Turn the ignition on. To the point the dashboard lights up but not as far turning the ignition to the point of starting the engne.

4) Turn ignition off when red light extinguishes.

5). Turn the ignition on a second time to the point the dashboard lights up but not as far as starting the engne.

6). Turn ignition off again.

7). Turn the ignition on a third ime to the point the dashboard lights up but not as far as starting the engne.

. Turn the ignition off for a third time.

9). Rember keeping the drivers door open? Well, look on the car body next to the drivers seat, at hip level, for a small black button. It's near the sill. (One of the buttons functions is to turn the interior light on and off when you open the drivers door) Well, press this button.

10). Press this button again for a second time.

11). And again for a third time.

12). I think I could hear the door locks motoring at this point.

13) Press any button on your key fob.

14) Press the same key fob button again.

15). I think I heard more door lock noises.

16) Key fob reprogramming? ..... Done.
S Shepherd

Re: Key fob not working

Postby DougieC » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:56 pm

This post has saved me a small fortune. Thank you.
DougieC

Return to Technical