New 5 (Sport VT) Owner- From Fife!

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

New 5 (Sport VT) Owner- From Fife!

Postby 5alive » Thu May 30, 2013 10:34 am

Ive recently been looking at a few 5s to use as a bit of a toy to go up North on sunny weekends etc. Even travelled 660miles round trip to Shropshire to be dissapointed with what was promised to be a mint car, not being mint! Thats on Ebay- beware!

Bought one (Also on Ebay) from Helensburgh near Glasgow on Tuesday night there, was advertised as been sitting for 6 months untouched, with MOT till Oct, 115k, FSH, recent belt, 1 prev owner (until end of last year!), small bubbles on drivers arch and on sill seams.

Has a stainless steel exhaust which sounds and looks perfect and the upgrade Bilsteins. Also came with spare SVT alloys/ tyres.

He then updated Ebay ad as saying he pulled it out garage and found it had a flat battery and a power steering leak, which he was going to have fixed. Im a mechanic/ MOT tester/ Recovery Company, so in the ideal situation to get some cash off and buy as it stood- which i did!

Gave it a good wash outside and a valet inside. Sent spare wheels to be powder coated and ive ordered 45mm springs to make it look a bit less girly! Also went onto Mx5parts and ordered clear reflectors, clear repeaters and a power steering pipe.

Hopefully have this all done and fitted by Saturday afternoon, ill update as it changes!

Advice and comments welcome!!

Pictures as it is just now:

5alive

Re: New 5 (Sport VT) Owner- From Fife!

Postby OldSpice » Thu May 30, 2013 10:45 am

Hope you got a bargain! Looks good from here.
I'd get the engine bay tray dropped out ( the bolts will be rusty) and do an in depth examination of the chassis rails especially around the ARB mountings.
The arch rot, if caught now, may stop expensive repairs later, but equally they tend to be well on their way inside thanks to the much discussed moisture traps.
The Crystal Blue "featured" in this post is mine.
http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/t/46836.aspx
Apart from that, it's just about run in. :wink:
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Thu May 30, 2013 10:56 am

Apart from what Robin has said I would hold off on putting on the lowered springs before you have checked all the local roads.

Only then if you have too much clearance put on the lowered springs but it is a waste then not to do a 4 wheel alignment.

Just doing the 4 wheel alignment will improve things.

Then we hope to see you on some Tayside runs.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 5alive » Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 am

OldSpice wrote:Hope you got a bargain! Looks good from here.
I'd get the engine bay tray dropped out ( the bolts will be rusty) and do an in depth examination of the chassis rails especially around the ARB mountings.
The arch rot, if caught now, may stop expensive repairs later, but equally they tend to be well on their way inside thanks to the much discussed moisture traps.
The Crystal Blue "featured" in this post is mine.
http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/t/46836.aspx
Apart from that, it's just about run in. :wink:

Thanks for advice.

Ive got that tray off it already to change steering pipe, had a look around it underneath and although everything has the general layer of rust, evrything seemed sound. I will double check the areas you have mentioned though.

My bubbling arch is the front drivers wing, and hoping its fixable as it doesnt appear too bad yet (but we all know what trust is like!)

Im away to check out your motor! :wink:
5alive

Postby drumtochty » Thu May 30, 2013 11:13 am

The wing is bolt on so just get the same colour from a breakers it is a lot less hassle than repainting it as it will rust again.

The Mk1 and Mk2 are not the same so get the correct wing. There is one screw that will be rusted at the front but you can handle that!

Check the drains one at each front jacking point and the others under the hood at the back.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanN » Thu May 30, 2013 11:42 am

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking car.
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby 5alive » Thu May 30, 2013 1:17 pm

drumtochty wrote:Apart from what Robin has said I would hold off on putting on the lowered springs before you have checked all the local roads.

Only then if you have too much clearance put on the lowered springs but it is a waste then not to do a 4 wheel alignment.

Just doing the 4 wheel alignment will improve things.

Then we hope to see you on some Tayside runs.

eddie

I want it to look good too, and at standard height i really dont like how it looks! The roads up north that ive been on will be fine. Its not normally clearance you need, but big tyres to absorb the occasional pot hole/ flat spotted wheel!

I will also be checking/ adjusting alignment.

I may well be on runs in the future too! :D
5alive

Postby 5alive » Thu May 30, 2013 1:19 pm

drumtochty wrote:The wing is bolt on so just get the same colour from a breakers it is a lot less hassle than repainting it as it will rust again.

The Mk1 and Mk2 are not the same so get the correct wing. There is one screw that will be rusted at the front but you can handle that!

Check the drains one at each front jacking point and the others under the hood at the back.

eddie

Thanks, although finding a good wing in my colour might be a task! Ill check the drains too, is it sill drains your talking about, or is there ones for the hood?

IanN wrote:Welcome to the forum. Nice looking car.

Thanks!
5alive

Postby tjay » Thu May 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi and welcome to Mx5 ownership, forum and club, nice looking car, as has been said check front chassis legs under engine tray apart from that looks good.
I am about to post a run for August 18th around Fife and Tayside before heading to Paul Bowers garage in Dundee (lot of Taysiders use him for servicing and MOT's)
He has recently installed and American Made "Hunters 4 Wheel Alignment ramp" in his garage and is having an open day on the day.
See full details on the Tayside events later when I post it. There are a few Fife residents who are members of the Tay5liders as is their choice and maybe as Eddie has said we will see you on some of our runs.
Whatever you choose enjoy the Mx it's a fab fun wee car.
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Laverda 3ce » Thu May 30, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi there and welcome aboard. Nice looking car and hope to meet you on some of the runs in the coming months. I have an SVT that I'm breaking for spares and I'm also located in Fife so give me a shout if there's anything your looking for. :wink:
Laverda 3ce
OC Member
Sandy Smith
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 5alive » Fri May 31, 2013 7:41 am

Thanks for welcomes!

Checked my chassis rails last night, drivers one is ok, passeger one on underside will probably need a small repair at some point. Thankfully nowhere near like the posted pics on that thread. All the same, its rediculous you have to worry about rot on a 10yr old car these days. Obviously only prepaired for countrys like Japan!

Laverda, where in Fife are you and what colour is the one your breaking? Cheers.
5alive

Postby Laverda 3ce » Fri May 31, 2013 12:38 pm

It's silver and we're between Kilmany and Cupar. Damaged down the offside.
It's a 51 plate and most parts available. :D
Laverda 3ce
OC Member
Sandy Smith
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 5alive » Fri May 31, 2013 1:01 pm

Im just along in Leslie/ Glenrothes!

Is there only 1 silver they were done in?

If so, much for bootlid if its good? I presume drivers wing is fooked?

Cheers.
5alive

Return to New Users