Knockhill Trackday - 21st Oct

.... for those that enjoy 'tracking' their car.

Knockhill Trackday - 21st Oct

Postby Breezie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm hoping to do my first trackday on Sunday in the MX5. As a complete novice, I wondered if any one else was going to the event?

Anything I need to do beforehand apart from obvious checks?

Phil
Aberdeen
Breezie

Re: Knockhill Trackday - 21st Oct

Postby gm » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Subject: Knockhill Trackday - 21st Oct

Breezie wrote:I'm hoping to do my first trackday on Sunday in the MX5. As a complete novice, I wondered if any one else was going to the event?

Anything I need to do beforehand apart from obvious checks?

Phil
Aberdeen

Hi Phil,

have you booked already ? if not, i would consider booking the trackscotland event on 3rd november instead.

i have not taken part in a hot hatch myself but have done plenty of trackscotland, dreadnought and knockhills own 'car trackdays' and would recommend them to anyone wanting to get involved in track driving.

there are usually 5-6 of us in mx5s on most trackscotland days, alongside more exotic stuff like evos, elises, caterhams and even a radical. as the days are run as an open pit, there is no pressure to get out and get your laps in so you can drive when you feel ready.

i have taken several beginners out in my own car to show them the lines etc and then let them take the wheel themselves for a good few laps. when i started myself, i didn't know anyone so just had to get stuck in but would much rather have had a bit of support. i'm not sure if funds will permit me to take part on 3rd nov as i'm off to croft this weekend but will be there 'holding the coats' if not driving myself.

the mx5 is an ideal car to get started in, especially on a short circuit like knockhill. the twisty sections are great fun, don't get hung up on the faster stuff blasting past on the straights - just let them go by and concentrate on your own driving.

the reverse circuit is a tricky one as most drivers are learning from scratch. on a normal day, you can watch other drivers (once you figure out who knows what they are doing) and learn lines, braking points etc. but i found it tricky to judge what to expect of the car in front so spent a lot of time backing off. i did also cock it up spectacularly myself a couple of times and end up in the gravel - sometimes the only way to learn !

general advice for trackdays - check your car well in advance, brakes tyres fluids etc, get plenty of kip the night before, watch your mirrors, when safe move over for faster cars to pass but get back onto the line before the corners come up.

above all, enjoy yourself - i started doing this with the owners club back in 2007 and reckon i've done over 1000 laps of knockhill since - it is that much fun !

cheers,

mark (gm)

ps. i'm working sunday otherwise i would come along for a nosey.
gm

Postby gm » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:53 pm

gm

Postby Breezie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks for your advice.

It suits me to do this weekend as the family are away, but I cant help feeling a tad apprehensive, and everyone I've approached about going down with me are busy on Sunday!!! Should I take it personally?

I will maybe book the 3rd, but as it only seems to be a half day (?) it's a long drive from Aberdeen.

I'll keep my eyes peeled in the mirrors!!!!

Phil
Breezie

Postby gm » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:20 pm

i wouldn't be apprehensive, just go at your own pace and if you have any idiots driving up your rear end, just pull over and let them pass. the marshalls should keep on top of any bad drivers, hot hatch used to have a bad reputation but has improved over recent times.

the 4 hour session is about right i reckon, a full day in november could get pretty chilly up on the 'hill. being open pit, you are free to go out as much or as little as you please. the trackscotland organisers (Adam and Fee) are based in Aberdeen, as are many of the participants, they all think it is well worth the drive down.

bear in mind it will probably be chucking it down so check you have plenty o' tread on your tyres !
gm

Postby Breezie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks. The 3rd may also suit me as I can get down and back in day. I'll do Sunday and if I'm hooked I'll try to get down. Thanks for advice
Breezie

Postby Czinski » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:29 am

Go for it - it is very addictive!
Mark (GM) was kind enough to let me do a few laps in his car at the last trackscotland event and apart from loving every minute of it I was very impressed with the organisation and 'discipline' of the other drivers. Given that this was my first trackday and I was in one of the slowest cars there (compared to EVO's, Caterhams and proper stripped out track cars) I didn't feel 'put under pressure' from anyone, as long as you keep your eyes open and let faster cars past on the straights there's no problem. It's definitely of benefit to the novice to have a 'spotter' to keep an eye out behind you though as you're concentrating so hard on braking points and turn ins etc it's easy to forget what's going on behind you!

Unfortunately I can't make the next few dates but will definitely be doing some more next year in my own car.
2001 Mk2.5 Silver S-Vt Sport 1.8
Czinski

Postby Breezie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:14 pm

Slight issue to the plan

I went to change front brake pads as advised, first side took a while but was ok, second side looked easy with a rebuilt caliper on it, however after I retracted the piston it was pishing out fluid, dingbro don't have them, Mazda is closed, so it looks like Overton (local dismantlers) is my only hope :-(
Breezie

Return to Motorsport