my plan

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

my plan

Postby jake2 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:02 pm

so i like impractical things. I don't know why it just appeals to me. iv recently bought some weller pepper pot design wheels 13 x 10 jj at the back at 13 x 7 at the front. yet to source a set of coilovers but heres what the wheels looked like on the standard suspension. i laughed quite a bit! almost considered running it for a while.

What do you guys think?

Image

Image
jake2
User avatar
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: my plan

Postby Colin & Margaret » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Why would you want to put that sort of wheel on the car? Have you a strange plan for it? Looks very weird and you may get stopped by the Polis as they sit wider that the wheel arches..........................................
2002 1.8 Silver Sport - Now gone too a new home..............
2010 2.0 Aluminium Silver Sport Tech - Getting on but still enjoying the wind in my skin!!
Colin & Margaret
User avatar
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:31 pm
Location: Paisley

Re: my plan

Postby jake2 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Colin & Margaret wrote:Why would you want to put that sort of wheel on the car? Have you a strange plan for it? Looks very weird and you may get stopped by the Polis as they sit wider that the wheel arches..........................................


I just find it interesting to look at. They were not sitting right I'm planning on having the camber changed to -2 degrees and seeing if it makes much difference to the poke. I knew posting this was going to cause some controversy, but I like it. Just wandered if there was anyone else who shared my views. There is a lot more plans yes but I thought I would start with this and update as I aquire the parts I'm after.

Cheers for your input.
jake2
User avatar
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: my plan

Postby 1600eunos » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:24 am

I personally dont like it and looks dangerous and illegal so just make sure it is within the arch...

Welcome though!

Why are you messing with the camber? It will ruin handling and tyre wear.
Stewart
1600 Eunos
1800 Eunos - 1994.
1600eunos
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Re: my plan

Postby joeytalent » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:07 am

I've never been a huge fan of 13"s on a MX5, especially not with massively stretched tyres. That's been done to death, and always look wrong IMHO.

I'm not really into lowering the car for looks either, and then needing ridiculous camber just to get the wheels in the arches. It's like you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

That being said, if you can pull it off with it looking non-ruined, I'll eat my words :D
joeytalent
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:36 pm

Re: my plan

Postby Richardn » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 am

Not a fan of stretched tyres, particularly that stretched.

Arch extensions are availble


but couldn't resist this
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
User avatar
MX-5 OC Club Member
 
Posts: 3219
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Now in Herefordshire

Re: my plan

Postby jake2 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:13 pm

joeytalent wrote:I've never been a huge fan of 13"s on a MX5, especially not with massively stretched tyres. That's been done to death, and always look wrong IMHO.

I'm not really into lowering the car for looks either, and then needing ridiculous camber just to get the wheels in the arches. It's like you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

That being said, if you can pull it off with it looking non-ruined, I'll eat my words :D



Yeah I know it's a commonly done thing. I'm not trying to be out there or trying to pretend I'm doing something different. I know it's been done. I have a few plans up my sleeve that you may or may not approve of but for now I'll keep my cards close to my chest. Cheers for your input and I'll keep you guys posted.
jake2
User avatar
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: my plan

Postby jake2 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Richardn wrote:Not a fan of stretched tyres, particularly that stretched.

Arch extensions are availble


but couldn't resist this


Hahahaha, can't really argue with that on a comedy level.

Yeah I'm aware of the arch extensions, came close to buying the bolt on ones. I'll see how it goes I recon I may end up purchasing a set in the future.
jake2
User avatar
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: my plan

Postby jake2 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 pm

1600eunos wrote:I personally dont like it and looks dangerous and illegal so just make sure it is within the arch...

Welcome though!

Why are you messing with the camber? It will ruin handling and tyre wear.


I don't plan on setting this car up for a thrashing. I live in the city and the car barely leaves that city. I know mucking about with the camber really effects the handling, however I do not plan on taking the car anywhere near its limits in the near future. Thats not to say I don't admire the 5's great handling! Maybe next year I'd like to get the car off the road and have it set up as a track day car. But for now I'm having fun with it. Cheers for the welcome.
jake2
User avatar
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: my plan

Postby OlberJ » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:03 pm

Honestly?

Looks pish and will handle pish.

But as a shock value....meh.
OlberJ
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:31 pm

Re: my plan

Postby intibet23 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:18 pm

i'm sorry jake2, i'm not diggin' this ....i love MODs and the shock factor of exhibition cars, but that looks bolt-on & dosn't compliment the car in anyway.. only my humble opinion. welcome to the forum and i look forward to viewing the pics of the finished product.
intibet23
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Re: my plan

Postby OldSpice » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Since you are asking for opinions, I think it's brilliant insofar while I hope never to see it on a public highway, the more good Mk1s ( increasing rare) that are trashed, generally ruined, chavved to death, or end up with no wishbones up the Peel Street kerbs... the rarer mine becomes. So, keep up the "good work".
(Don't fancy driving that along Kelvin Way..unless you know a good dentist :lol:)
MX5 Nutz will love it though....or some will. Anyway, it's yours to do what you will with, so jog on!
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: my plan

Postby jake2 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:27 pm

OldSpice wrote:Since you are asking for opinions, I think it's brilliant insofar while I hope never to see it on a public highway, the more good Mk1s ( increasing rare) that are trashed, generally ruined, chavved to death, or end up with no wishbones up the Peel Street kerbs... the rarer mine becomes. So, keep up the "good work".
(Don't fancy driving that along Kelvin Way..unless you know a good dentist :lol:)
MX5 Nutz will love it though....or some will. Anyway, it's yours to do what you will with, so jog on!


Dear valued repplier, cheers for your opinion. Still I'm not doing this for anyone elses enjoyment bar my own. I am aware some parts of the car will be effected and possibly broken, however nothing lasts forever. If wishbones break I shall replace them! If fillings come out I shall replace them! The goals of this project are nothing more than to put a smile on MY Face when I pear out the window and I am happy at what I see. In regards to your comment on the rarety of the mx5's I'm glad you found some sort of personal positivity from this post. I hope if you ever do see my car in the flesh it doesn't offend you so much that you end up crashing your own beloved automobile.

Regards, fellow 5 owner.
jake2
User avatar
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: my plan

Postby jake2 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:32 pm

intibet23 wrote:i'm sorry jake2, i'm not diggin' this ....i love MODs and the shock factor of exhibition cars, but that looks bolt-on & dosn't compliment the car in anyway.. only my humble opinion. welcome to the forum and i look forward to viewing the pics of the finished product.


Cheers for the reply.
jake2
User avatar
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Glasgow


Return to Photo Gallery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron