Duke's Pass

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

Duke's Pass

Postby sgibson » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:00 pm

I'm sure most of you are familiar with this great road but if you have bad luck like me, you will find that it's ruined by all the tourists driving slowly.

Well today I went up as I knew it would be quiet as it's a weekday and it was POURING down! Typically there was a slow driver in front of me on the Pass so at the end of the road I just turned around and went back and done it again!

Heavy rain made it a great drive, rooster-tails and fish-tails adding to the drama!

Finally, a memorable drive!
sgibson

Postby DouglasH » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:26 pm

So glad you "finally had a memorable drive" :wink: Its one we manage to do several times a year on club runs, yes it can be annoying having tourist traffic in front of you, we did have a clear run last year, (or at least the front runners did) during our lunch drive at the Callander Classics, and was most enjoyable, although a few passengers were muttering something about their lunch :lol:
DouglasH

Postby sgibson » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:36 pm

sgibson

Dukes pass

Postby rockdoc » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:35 pm

Nice -- :lol: .......but "slippy" :shock:

Where is that anyway?
PROJECT DR EVIL- OLD MODEL-NEW PARTS
Trackdog school of driving attendee! deer attack survivee
http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php? ... =tis+begun
rockdoc

Postby DouglasH » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:14 pm

A821 between Aberfoyle and Kilmahog, alternative road to Callander from Aberfoyle, one of the last to be gritted in the pecking order, even then why should they, when the the main A81 is the preferred route, its one road I certainly wouldn't use in these conditions, plenty chances to enjoy it in the other seasons, far too many steep fall offs and very few protection barriers.
I remember in my motor-biking days one crisp February morning, a relative of mine suggested a run over the Duke's pass, I declined, he came off the bike, bike landed on top of him, waited an hour for the first car to pass, driver only...had to wait another hour or two until a vehicle with more bodies arrived to lift the machine off his legs.
DouglasH

Postby graeme » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:43 pm

A great road if you can avoid AC Cobra's ;-)
graeme

Postby sgibson » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:55 pm

The road was closed when I got there, but as I was planning to go up past Loch Lubnaig, I didn't want to backpedal and go up another route. There were also quite a few cars going past the 'road closed' sign, so I decided to risk it anyway.
sgibson

Postby Si » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:00 am

Crikey, you're brave!!

Now I don't mind the odd bit of snow, but to voluntarily drive up Duke's when it's like that takes some balls.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Return to Scottish Drives