hi from the bonny black isle

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Postby BATESPEED » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:47 pm

hi folks, i'm garry from the bonny black isle , north of inverness and i havent actualy bought an MX5 yet but, i realy want one......preferably a mk 1 1800
i fancy the wind in my hair and flies in my teeth whilst i still have hair and teeth! :(
i am looking for a cheap MX5 , either an MOT failure or something with a short test that will need a bit of work.

i am a self employed mobile mechanic, so dont mind a bit of fettling/ welding, i have seen a good few REALY RUSTY mx5's in my day, usualy round the rear wheelarch/sill area (i,m also a classic mini nut, so i'm well used to welding!)

apart from the sills/arches what should i be looking out for? there seems to be a few mk2's about in my price range too, are they any better?

anybody got any advice for me (or even a car for me) as to what model to go for, what to look out for, pro's and cons of different models/years and how much i should be paying, thanks in advance garry

ps i met a whole bunch of MX5's over in applecross a year or two back,old ones and new ones ( i was having a sunday morning run in my mini)
it wasnt you guys was it ?
BATESPEED

Re: hi from the bonny black isle

Postby IanN » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi Batespeed

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of cheap cars around, rust in the sills and rear arches are the Achilles heal of the Mk 1 and Mk 2/2.5 which you have already found. Other than that there pretty bullet proof if maintained properly.

We were in Applecross on Sunday 4th April 2010 so it could have been us, see link below.

http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/events.php?event_id=373

Hope you manage to find a good rust free car.
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby mnp1962 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi Garry

Welcome to the site, I'm in the process of doing up a 1990 MK1 at the moment, hope to have it back on the road next month :)
I'm just outside Inverness so feel free to give me a shout.

I might know where there is a MK1 for sale, I know it's been sitting for a while and might need some work. I'll have a word with the owner and let you know.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MK1 1.6 mariner blue, import
mnp1962

Postby tjay » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 am

Hi Gary and welcome to club and forum. Guy here in Dundee was selling a 1996 Mk1 Green, tan leather and tan roof, all welding work done, rubbed down and in primer,just requires a paint job and work to get an MOT. dont know if still available but will ask.

cheers
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BATESPEED » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:37 am

thanks for the welcome guys, ive got four mini's, only one is MOT'd but its sorned at the moment. ive put a citroen saxo 1.4 engine and box in it, with a citroen ax gt cylinder head and carb (worth an extra 10 bhp) and its tarted up in britax mini cooper racing colours from the late sixties.

ive also got an mgb gt that i havent started restoring yet, but im too impatient and want a sportscar on the road for the summer hence my recent interest in MX5's.

i thought minis had a lot of special editions, but nothing on MX5's , youve probably seen this before, but most of these are news to me! is there any 5's that are'nt a special edition ?
http://www.mx5-mazda.co.uk/index.htm
BATESPEED

Postby BATESPEED » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:30 pm

i put an ad in gumtree "wanted mazda mx5, with or without mot" and have had two replys so far.

one was for a merlot 1.8 with service history and 57k miles, that unfortunatly looked as if it had been stood outside for thee or four years, needed a hood (which put me off straight away) the brakes were all obviously shot, rusty wings and power steering pipes, filler in the sills and peeling laquer on most panels, flat tyres etc , hadent been started or moved in a long time, wanted £500..................... a bit too much work there then,

other one was a mk2 w reg 1.8i in metalic brg,110k miles, been off the road for two years, bad rust in the rear arches/ rear sills, bootlid and front arches, rusty discs, rough alloys and tyres, interior hanging out but all there i think, £450 ......... i got the impression the owner had swapped all the decent bits onto his mk1,but this one started off the key and drove, so the clutch and brakes were free at least, and it had a good hood with a glass rear window....................... sounds like a better bet than the merlot , but i would still prefer a mk1, and preferably some thing that has just failed the mot so you know what you are up against.
nothing worse for an old car than sitting outside for years, especialy a convertible................the search continues, but i havent ruled out the mk 2 yet, we will see if anypone else phones.

no one on here with a mk 1 thats just failed the test is there ? not too far away from inverness :D
BATESPEED

Postby BATESPEED » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:44 pm

oh and it wasnt you guys i met at applecross, it was in the summer ,meaby 2 or 3 years ago i think mazda launched a new model (or was it the 20th aniversary or something?) at some swank country house hotel up there, more mx5's than you could shake a stick at.
brand new and older ones , for comparison i guess, probably all motoring journalists getting pissed off at some nutter in an old mini trying to race them all the time :D
Last edited by BATESPEED on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BATESPEED

Postby drumtochty » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Don't buy on spec or which special edition it is.

It has to be rust free, basically tidy inside and have a reasonable hood and the engine and gearbox not making any nasty nosies or smoke.

Esy as that.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BATESPEED » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:52 pm

good advice eddie, but i dont have the cash to buy a decent one, the right car will come along though !

is there any special editions that are worth more than others, the holy grail if you will !
BATESPEED

Postby Bert » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:20 am

Alright sarky.
Bert

Postby BATESPEED » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:21 am

hi bert, fancy meeting you here !! have you still got your mx5 then ?
BATESPEED

Postby Bert » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:09 am

Yup, Its in the garage getting a few tweeks
Bert

Postby BATESPEED » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:34 pm

got any photos of it ?

its ok, i found your thread, nice car, nice colour, pity you took the stripes off i liked them.

where do you get the side skirt thingys ? i like them, they hide rusty bits !

ps, i think your headlamps are buggered, they only come half way up :D
BATESPEED

Postby Bert » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:12 pm

BATESPEED wrote:got any photos of it ?

its ok, i found your thread, nice car, nice colour, pity you took the stripes off i liked them.

where do you get the side skirt thingys ? i like them, they hide rusty bits !

ps, i think your headlamps are buggered, they only come half way up :D

Haha yeah, the stripes weren't my thing and the ones up the side ones are coming off soon aswell.
Side skirts yeah they hide my rust arches when I bought the car... Now it hides my nice new clean arches.

They are mazdaspeed rubber ones... I have no idea where u get them though.
Bert

Postby BATESPEED » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:05 am

i like this lotus elan sprint colour scheme, i would like to do something like this myself.

but the "elan sprint" logo on the side stripes is probably pushing it a bit !
and for comparison , the original
BATESPEED

Postby Richardn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:09 am

The nose on the one above is a JDM nose to look loke an Elan, check out the indicators,
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BATESPEED » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:25 am

i thought he had just removed the indicators ! i have a lot to learn about mx5's
BATESPEED

Postby BATESPEED » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:27 pm

i got another reply from my wanted ad today, not too far away so went for alooksee,
N reg 1.8is in BRG , genuine 59k miles from new with full service history, (and the origingal bill of sale for £19,100 :shock: ) MOT till august, but been off the road over the winter (outside)
it needed a front spring, the brakes doing and two new tyres before it could be driven properly, there was a leaking radiator full of radweld, both rear sills/ wheelarches were very rusty and both front wings were rusty where they join the front bumper, the hood was in good nick , it started and drove well (only went round the car park because of the spring/tyres/brakes).
he wanted £1000 but i only offered half that, its probably worth something inbetween.

i have another one to go and see tomorow, a red 93 eunos 1.6 with a hard top and no MOT , i think this is the one, (but ive said that before :wink: )

so i have two possibles so far.......................watch this space
BATESPEED

Postby BATESPEED » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:29 pm

i got one! a 93 eunos 1.6 with a hard top, half a dozen shades of paint, no mot, no handbrake and three broken springs, but its solid ! the sills/arches are original and very good , let the fun begin
BATESPEED

Postby mnp1962 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:15 pm

Well done, I'm sure you will enjoy what you have let yourself in for....

I've just replaced one of the rear springs on my 1990 Import....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MK1 1.6 mariner blue, import
mnp1962

Next

Return to New Users