Gullane Games Day

Discussion about events organised by the Central Scotland region.
[Please do not cross-post]

Postby Hardtrack » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:05 pm

Really don't know if i can make it :?if i do go however i would just be going to the games in my normal very bland family car,so hopefully would be able to meet up there,but not a definate.........at least i could out accelarate you all on the way back......unless theres a turbo in the group :lol:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Treasure hunt & Gullane games

Postby Mike and Di » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:28 pm

My owners tell me that we aren't going on Saturday :(

Their feeble excuse is that the builder who is working next door has lent them a set of ladders so that they can paint the eaves of the house :cry:

Suppose I will be left in the driveway again, havn't been to a meeting for ages :x

Heather
There is never a bad day to drive a Mazda
Mike and Di

Gullane Games & Treasure Hunt

Postby Zoom Zoom » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:32 pm

What a day! First when checking the treasure hunt found that one of the roads was closed for roadworks - I was assured that it will be reopen tomorrow :-) . Then tonight I find that I have a flat tyre :-( but this will be repaired tomorrow morning, and I will be at Tesco's to see you all off (how many??)....Jon
Zoom Zoom

Gullane Games

Postby CharlesK » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:59 pm

just a quick word of thanks to Jon - and his assistants - for todays treasure hunt and afternoon at the games. The route was enjoyable with variations from hills to coast and quite historic - Mino and I even managed to find where Mary Queen of Scots finally gave up freedom and began her journey to the chopping board - nothing at all to do with the treasure hunt and probably why we were so late in reaching our destination.
An enjoyable day and one which must have taken a lot of work to prepare
Hope you thought it was worth it Jon

Congrats to Gary for being the best at bribing the kids to choose best car which was a surprise given the effort Douglas put in with them- very relaxed with kids in his car :wink: was Douglas.

Chic and Heather
CharlesK
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby DouglasH » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:33 pm

Just like to echo Chic's comments.. a big thanks to Jon for organising the treasure hunt and the Gullane games, thanks also to Graeme & Christine for helping Jon.

Congratulations to Chic & Heather for winning the treasure hunt and well done to Graham Bell for winning the best car trophy.

A good day once again with perfect weather, think I counted 12 cars at one point on the green. Only trouble with letting kids sit in the cars is that once you set off for home you find all your switches are on :evil:
DouglasH

Postby Hardtrack » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:12 am

Can't really comment too much on the event as i was only there for a couple of hours,but certainly had a good enough day although i was in my normal car due to no baby sitter :? ,was nice to meet more Oc members and as Douglas said ,congratulations to the event winners.............sorry i lost you on the way home Doug,had to stop for petrol and couldn't catch up due to traffic and a few wrong turns,lol :roll:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby graeme » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:30 am

I saw some stuff going on yesterday which would have made the IOC blush ;-)
"Can I sit in your car mister?"
"Yes"
Kid sits in car, then says thank you when he/she gets out again (having switched everything on and even put Douglas's car in gear!) to be told
"Remember the voting slips over there and don't forget what car you were sat in"
I'm delighted to report that despite not entering into to such shameless shenanigans, my car got 30 votes, which to put things into perspective, is approximately 28 votes more than I've ever had before and 25 votes more than my accumulative total to date!
graeme

Gullane Games & Treasure Hunt

Postby Zoom Zoom » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:26 am

Thanks to everyone who came, it was a most enjoyable day. The Games committee we very impressed with the display. Thanks to Greame & Christine for bringing the Gasibo, and to everyone for allowing the kids to sit in their cars. I will attempt to write a full report soon! :-) Cheers, Jon
Zoom Zoom

Postby Richardn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:48 pm

As I was only there abot 90 mins and therefore this cannot be construed as sour grapes.

I do not think that the Gullane Games was a good venue for best car in the region. Callander Classic or Chaterlehault classic show would have been a better choice as the visitor to the stand would have been better informed ( e.g the 10 yr old girl may have known the difference between an MGF and an MX-5)

I think the idea of non-members voting is good, but a non-motoring event like Gullane is the wrong choice of venue. I think too many votes where influenced by which car they could sit in (abuse)etc. Many votes cast by children :roll:
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Hardtrack » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:15 am

Dear dear Richard :roll: ,when i was a kid ,i'd have loved to sit in a fancy car and press buttons,hardly abuse is it,it's being a kid :?,and maybe the memories of a 10 year old kid sitting in your car will turn into a reality in years to come when they are drivers,would suprise you how many kids actually know what an mx5 is,this is mainly due to the Ps2 racing game which the 5 is the best handling :wink:.You don't have to know how many bhp and 0 to 60 times to vote for what is your favourite car at that age,technophobes are usually boring old farts with a little 2 seater to fill the gap of whats missing their lifes.......live and let live eh? from what i saw ,people were enjoying the event no matter how many cars were there,and what is a mediocre car to someone could be someone elses pride and joy..............admittedly i'd have washed the board in the mk1 stakes if i took mine :wink: ....joke(kind off :P) but i don't think the point of the show was to show up anyone elses car.......congrats to who showed their cars and gave the kids some excitement in letting them sit in them :D
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby DouglasH » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:27 am

Just to put the record straight here, as there are suggestions that I in particular may have been responsible for underhand and rigged voting...there was a lot of leg pulling and hilarity just after a certain red car owner did infact jokingly suggest to a couple of kids to vote for his car after sitting in it, wether this did happen or not had no bearing on the overall result, I myself let as many kids sit in my car as I did last year, although not totally comfortable with that, however when you see the enjoyment they get its hard to say no. Having stood for several hours handing out and folding voting slips, I can only offer my honest opinion that the majority of votes were cast by adults, some in fact even came back after the votes were counted to ask the results.

I agree with Richard that this was not the best venue to open the voting up to the public and in fact would suggest the members discuss further at a later date, wether we should open it to the public at all.

With respect to Jon, I would also question the benefits of attending the Gullane games venue, apart from a kids pr excercise I can't really see what good it does and more so what benefit our members get from it, although I did enjoy the show last year, this year the only thing I saw away from the club stand was the inside of a hotel loo and no you won't get any of my pictures posted as I only took three and two of them were at Tesco.
DouglasH

Postby inddigo » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:18 am

Hi guys,
Jo and I would like to add our thanks to Jon and Graeme for another excellent day out, it was great to see you all again, even though we were both sunburnt another excellent OC day out :) . We did go home a very scenic route via peebles and up the back roads which finished the day off wonderfully. 8)

Cheers,

Andy
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Previous

Return to Central Scotland