seat sub?

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

seat sub?

Postby smashed andy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:06 pm

just fitted a pair of leather seats to the car,

removed the upright lumbar support for more comfort as im a skinny wee runt, to find a cheeky wee speaker in the back of the seat

ive heard this is a wee subwoofer, my question is...

having a CD player with front and rear outputs, and a dedicated sub output, does this speaker get linked to the sub pre-out or to a speaker channel output(headrest speakers)?

the seat speaker is 8ohms....

thanks

andy
smashed andy

Postby boydie » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:50 pm

Hi Andy, if your dedicated sub output is amplified from the headunit then you can use this for the sub, if it's a pre out then you will need an amp. You could use a speaker output but you will need a low pass filter so the sub only receives low frequencies ie bass and not high end frequencies like vocals.
boydie

Postby smashed andy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:06 pm

cheers

now with that in mind i have a sub and amp setup just now,

gonna look into hooking them up through the amp, believe you can use a "tri" mode on my amp, got a feeling i may blow them up though! as there fairly low wattage :twisted:

my only concern now is the resistance...

8ohms per seat sub and 4ohms from the main 12incher (oooer)

andy
smashed andy

Postby boydie » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:29 pm

If the amp can be run in "tri" mode, then you can hook up the two 8ohm speakers in parallel to give a resistance of 4ohms, then join those two in parallel with the 12inch 4ohm sub, this gives a total resistance of 2ohms on the amp. Running a 2 ohm load on the amp makes it work harder so you wont be able to play it at high volume for long! Make sure your amp says it is 2ohm stable tho, or you might have probs :wink:
If you need a wiring diagram to explain this a bit better then PM me with your email address mate.
boydie

Postby smashed andy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:18 pm

cheers for that mate,

yeah checked the manual last night, i can run the amp (vibe VP2) in 'tri mode'
was just the resistance that concerned me, also theyre only 10w subs :?

so to confirm

amp - 2 channel
100w(4ohm) per channel
150w(2ohm) per channel
300w(4ohm) bridged
sub will run between 2-4ohms stable

needing to run

2 x 10w (8ohm) seat subs
1 x 300w (4ohm) main sub

so i guess -
each smaller sub running from each channel(although 8ohm speakers???) while main sub is bridged accross the 2 channels(current setup)

the funny thing is i did a 2 year course training as an electrical technician, left just over a year ago, amazing how you forget simple skills by not using them.

andy
smashed andy

Postby MichaelG » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:31 pm

The "sub" in the back of the seat Andy is whats known as a Bass Shaker.

The are just like normal speakers ie the way you connect them. I have heard of a guy over in America that replaced the Bass Shakers with Aura Bass Shaker Pro's and plugged them upto an amp. He was saying the stick out a bit from the seats but they are much better than any set up hes had in his MX-5 and he had a full install in his boot at one point! With a good amp they can knock the sunglasses off your nose, he was saying.

That is what I was planning to do with them!

So just an idea.

Mike
MichaelG

Postby smashed andy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:51 pm

arg, confused now.... not difficult for me sometimes

being 10w i wouldnt have really wanted to amp them, my headunit more then adequate to drive them but.... appoligies for repeating myself again, its the resistance that concerns me.

i have 4 channels on the headunit (front & rear) good headrest speakers that will be connected up again and would usually tie them in with these in parallel

dont really wanna kill my headunit though

andy
smashed andy

Return to ICE and Music