Track day Insurance

.... for those that enjoy 'tracking' their car.

Track day Insurance

Postby DouglasH » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:38 am

Aon now allow free insurance to 5 track sessions per year, min ?1000 excess or 10% of car's value, only available if you have had previous track day experience, although we did ask if track school sessions counted and they said that would count if certificate was awarded.
DouglasH

Postby PaulDS » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:57 am

Interesting!!!!
Does Knockhill last May counts as Track day experience then??
What proof do they need or will they take your word?

Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Postby graeme » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:22 pm

and how does one get experience if one isn't insured until one gets it? :shock:
Joseph Heller made a fortune asking this type of question!
graeme

Postby Gavin » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:03 pm

Hmmmm. That's a good one. I've done 2 track days and both times i've taken the risk that both myself and other drivers would be good, therefore i've not let insurance company know. I wonder what they would say if I told them and what they might do to my premium. :roll:
2009 Convertible Coupe 2.0L Sport now that the 2005 LE and 2007 Z Sport Limited are dead.
Gavin
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby DouglasH » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:50 am

and how does one get experience if one isn't insured until one gets it?
Joseph Heller made a fortune asking this type of question!

You could bite the bullet and take out insurance with... either your own Insurance company, if they will cover you as many won't, or you pay for one off insurance with one of the track day insurance firms.

The other option is to take part in the Track School, possibly using one of the School cars, or if you use your own remember the time spent on track at this type of event will probably be the safest your ever likely to encounter. Afterwards you will receive a certificate which will entitle you to proof of experience.

Hmmmm. That's a good one. I've done 2 track days and both times i've taken the risk that both myself and other drivers would be good, therefore i've not let insurance company know. I wonder what they would say if I told them and what they might do to my premium.

Gavin...you have done 2 track days, you have experience, will AON care who you were insured with when you did them.

As far as I knew AON always covered you (free of charge) for track events, not sure how many per year so I don't know if 5 events is better or worse.
DouglasH

Postby kevham » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:29 pm

Gavin wrote:Hmmmm. That's a good one. I've done 2 track days and both times i've taken the risk that both myself and other drivers would be good, therefore i've not let insurance company know. I wonder what they would say if I told them and what they might do to my premium. :roll:

I've done more trackdays than I care to count over the last 6 years and I only bothered with insurance the first couple of times (with AON). The AON scheme required that you phone them up before every track day with the details - they then checked with the underwriters and got back to you to say whether there was any extra premium (I think the most I paid was ?20). BUT, the excess was very high (I think over ?1,000) and claims were limited (I seem to recall accidental damage to your car but NOT for third parties and personal injury claims were limited).

I would say check the terms of the cover very carefully and I would only consider AON if they provided the best value policy anyway - they haven't been best for me for several years. I certainly wouldn't change to AON just to get the track cover. But, if you're with them anyway, it's a nice bonus.
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Return to Motorsport