Grampian - Tayside Glens 27th March

Discussion about events organised by the three North of Scotland areas.
[Please do not cross-post]

Re: Grampian - Tayside Glens 27th March

Postby liathach » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:03 pm

I've never uploaded routes to my Garmin so I'll just use it as a moving map on Sunday. My navigater can juggle the three OS sheets that the route occupies to keep a track of where we're going. If I get a chance, I'll circle the sections that I know have been superseded by the A90 so that I can be warned in advance. Having Memory Map on the PC, OS mapping on my Satmap and Viewranger on my phone, I'm reluctant to buy even more paper maps!
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby IanH » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:09 pm

Malcolm, if you go tail end charlie you could have a walkie talkie to juggle too...... :lol:
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby liathach » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:34 pm

Happy to go tail end Charlie but b****r the walkie talkie!
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby IanH » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:25 pm

The Pram wrote:Mmmm, I thought you were using a new kind of sat nav! ME :shock:

Anyway, I have a super TomTom (TamTam when in Doric mode) but you can only send a destination thing from google maps to the hooked up tomtom. I tried last night so if i just put in directions from here to there then I can send the route to tomtam but when I start adding deviations it does not like it. If you know how it works let me know. By the way, have a peek at tomtom's website and you can pick up an older version for much cheaper. I have the Go Live 550 which is great. I bought it from Amazon a few months back but it costs much less now.

The Tomtom I bought has the new 'simpler' menu :cry: which doesn't support itinerary planning, however some googling and a little bit of raking around in the system files and itinerary planning is now available once more :D

You need to create the route in Google maps, convert it to an .itn file, load it into the itn folder on the TomTom and Bob's yer Auntie :lol:
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby The Pram » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:52 pm

Well Bob is working away just fine so we shall see how things work tomorrow. Keeping everything crossed as usual!
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby GRWP » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Well, It was great we got good weather for my first "club run" and the first real run I have had since I got the MX5 a few weeks ago. Great roads, good crack, and fine soup (I don't eat much.. LOL). The MX5 will take a bit of getting used to, when it feels like I am doing 80 I am really only doing 60 - my other car is opposite, when I think I am doing 60 it's usually 80+... :D
Thanks for the welcome - I will try and make the runs when I am not on-call (1 week in 4)...
George R W Paterson
==================
2002 Mazda MX-5 Phoenix 1.8i SE - Black
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2 - Blue
2003 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - Blue
2000 Triumph Daytona 955i - Blue
GRWP
OC Member
George Paterson
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby The Pram » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:17 pm

Great to see you George. Sorry we didn't get much chance to blether. We had more come on the run than said they would hence not enough seats at the big table and you got squeezed out :(

Hope you see you at the next meet, probably the pubby but I need to check the calendar first.

Do come again :mrgreen:

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby grumpyoldfart » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Was much fun and a nice day -have to say i enjoyed the drive back through the back roads just as much as on the way out -but somehow lost the Tayside posse -im guessing they tunred off early on .
I'd forgotten the fun of driving such a pointy car on the twisty bits
And it was real nice to put a face to the names on the forum and see all the lovely cars lined up .
So now all I need are a few well chosen upgrades to my old school mk 1 to bring it up to scratch -eg some proper roll bars ,shiny new wheels with sticky rubber , big 4 pot brakes , a metal folding roof [nice] ,heated seats ,2l engine [perhaps a supercharger botled on as well ] -hmm
grumpyoldfart

Postby The Pram » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Haha, you'll nae be grumpy after all that Brian. You might still fart though :wink:

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby liathach » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:31 pm

A good run today on some very quiet roads. Pity some of us wrong slotted near the start! We should have regrouped after leaving Stoney but, hey ho, we found our way to Glen Clova! Tom obviously knew the roads well so a good pace was maintained.
Nice to meet up with the Taysiders again and wasn't Peter C's father amazing for 97! Hopefully manage to talk to everyone next time - certainly didn't manage it today :)
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Previous

Return to Highland & Moray, Grampian and Tayside