Lockup in Aberdeen Area.

Discussion about events organised by the three North of Scotland areas.
[Please do not cross-post]

Lockup in Aberdeen Area.

Postby Rostra » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi folks,
I am looking for somewhere to store Daisy over the winters. Am prepared to rent a lockup. Any suggestions anyone?
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.
89 1.6, 90 1.6 - one for each foot.
Rostra

Re: Lockup in Aberdeen Area.

Postby IanH » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:12 pm

I'll stick a post on the internal forum at work and see if anyone has a suggestion.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Rostra » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:28 pm

Cheers Ian, that's what friends are for. :)
Rostra

Postby bmv6197 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi Angie,

I rented a garage in Aberdeen this winter for my Mk1 - the rest of the year it lives in the garage behind my house, but I found I was spending so much time scraping/shovelling snow off my other car, that it made sense to store the MX5 somewhere and use my own garage for my daily driver. Now I get an extra 15 minutes in bed each morning - well worth the expense! :)

A couple of things I discovered while searching for a garage - mainly common-sense, but might be useful:

1) Dryness is a valuable commodity: lots of garages are less than watertight, or without a proper dry matting under the floor, which draws moisture into the space - if the car is sitting their for long periods, that's never a good thing. I tried to check garages out on the wettest/dampest days and finally managed to get a new-build with proper damp-proofing, but it does cost extra...

2) Location naturally affects the cost (with a premium on West End locations for people working in the city wanting a parking space each day), and I found that places near the city centre were going for 70-100% more than places farther out (and were generally smaller). Even so, if you go private (e.g. via Gumtree) it's hard to find a decent place for less than about £14 per week.

3) Location also (not surprisingly) has a real impact on insurance premiums. While insurance companies seem to approve if the car is in a lock-up garage, insurance premiums for some parts of town are more expensive to park in a garage than have the car left outside in a "safer" area... You might want to check that out, as paying a bit more for a better location might make your overall cost (including insurance) cheaper.

4) Also worth checking break-ins in the area and opt for a place that is overlooked by houses/flats for added peace of mind...

Admittedly, it's hard to get all of the above, and for an acceptable cost, but worth weighing up what's most important to you.

Good luck and if I hear of anything on offer, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Brad.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Postby Rostra » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Cheers Brad, that was very helpful 14 a week is OK. I can have her professionally stored in Edinburgh for about 80 per month - it's just the logistics. Take her down to Aberdeen, get her in there and then get myself to the airport - doubt I could do it in a day.

Sorry, no pound signs on this keyboard! :lol:
Rostra

Return to Highland & Moray, Grampian and Tayside