Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Postby LolTM » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi Guys - another newbie here. Unfortunately I haven't actually got an MX5 yet but I need to stop doing the Arbroath Dundee commute in a practical family car. Maybe I am having an early mid-life crisis but after a few weeks on pondering I have decided to get a Mk1 as a second car to put a smile on my face whilst driving to work.

Only problem I have is my size. Being 6'2, I think I'll be able to fit comfortably but I don't want to look like a muppet making an appointment to see a Mk1 only to find I won't fit :)

Anyway, thought I would say hello and join the forums to see what info I can find out. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled in the usual places for a nice Mk1 in Angus to take a look at.

cheers!
LolTM
OC Member
Lol Scragg
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Newbie

Postby Allie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi, welcome to NSS, hope you get your baby soon and join our runs,, great company and good fun. Allie
Allie

Postby Blondie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi, and welcome to the club,

Don't worry about the height thing - my other half is 6ft 5 and fits in my Mk1 no problem!
Blondie

Postby sarahlc » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:46 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Good luck with your search for a '5.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby LolTM » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:53 pm

thanks for the hello's!

So I headed out west today to look at a few Mk1's. I have to say that I was incredibly disappointed - surely there are still some around that have been cared for? Couldn't believe the state of some aligned to the prices they were asking :(

I think I am just going to have to watch and wait for the right car to turn up!
LolTM
OC Member
Lol Scragg
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BestGear » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I am 6' 2" and I get in there fine.... seat is right back, but certainly ok.

Hope the economy is everything your expect... these beasties are not the most economic...

David
BestGear

Postby 71NotOut » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:33 pm

Hiya mate,

Have a look at Goodwood Sportscars, based near Berwick.

They always seem to have a nice couple in stock.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby LolTM » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:36 pm

BestGear wrote:Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I am 6' 2" and I get in there fine.... seat is right back, but certainly ok.

Hope the economy is everything your expect... these beasties are not the most economic...

David

I've had Jags, Jeeps and Landies in the past. Sure I will get more than the 20mpg I had with those :D
LolTM
OC Member
Lol Scragg
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby LolTM » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:37 pm

71NotOut wrote:Hiya mate,

Have a look at Goodwood Sportscars, based near Berwick.

They always seem to have a nice couple in stock.

thanks for the info, but that's a fair trek from Arbroath! I may be heading down the east coast in a few weeks on business though so if I haven't found anything by then, I'll give them a go! cheers!
LolTM
OC Member
Lol Scragg
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby gm » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:27 am

definitely worth a look, Steve is a thoroughly decent chap and has a few nice motors available right now

CLICK
gm

Postby allandwf » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:28 am

Hi welcome,
I bought my Mk1 purely to commute from Forfar to Aberdeen. Best thing I ever did. You won't regret it.
allandwf

Postby LolTM » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:06 pm

gm wrote:definitely worth a look, Steve is a thoroughly decent chap and has a few nice motors available right now

CLICK

thats my mind setup cheers! His cars look a million times better than the ones I saw yesterday. I feel a rail trip coming!

thanks again.
LolTM
OC Member
Lol Scragg
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby PatrickC » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:26 pm

I went to sunny Berwick on saturday and got my car from Steve. Seems to have been nicely prepped and goes well too

Wish I had got one years ago- the handling is unbelievable

Good luck finding one

cheers

Patrick
PatrickC

Postby 71NotOut » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:00 pm

PatrickC wrote:I went to sunny Berwick on saturday and got my car from Steve. Seems to have been nicely prepped and goes well too

Wish I had got one years ago- the handling is unbelievable

Good luck finding one

cheers

Patrick

Photos?
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby LolTM » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:30 pm

so after taking advice from here, I picked up a 1990 V-Special on Friday. Drove beautifully and once I've given her a good polish I'll take some photo's. Already ditched the stereo and put a new one in with iPod control and Bluetooth - just need to wait for new speakers to arrive now! Surprised by how much room I have with the seat right back - even at over 6'2 there seems to be plenty of room (although an inch off the steering wheel would make it even better!)

Haven't seen any problems at all, but already have a list of things to look at:

* install new speakers when they arrive - hopefully these will be good enough without me having to replace the head-rest ones as well
* need to try and work out if there is a quicker way of taking down my hood. It is an aftermarket green mohair one with a glass heated window (which all works), however I still need to unzip with window to get the hood down. I thought that I didn't need to do this with a glass one but it would appear so. Probably me being a muppet!
* need to try and sort out the radio aerial as there is next to no reception even with the new unit. The car has a box at the bottom of the windscreen which says 'Electronic Antennae' on it so no idea if a previous owner fitted something else and disconnected the usual aerial
* have to do something with the passenger window as it takes years to drop down. Seen the recommendations to try and fix this and will get round to it at some point.
* quite fancy installing one of those style bars. Will need to look into that one.
* need to sort out the bootlid that clonks me on the head every time I open it as it won't stay open :)
* need to pray the rains stay away so I can drive to work each day with the roof down and arrive with a huge grin on my face!

thanks for all the advice so far folks!

cheers
LolTM
OC Member
Lol Scragg
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Richardn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:13 am

Forget the Style bar, as you're tall. It will put a lump of metal behind your head to beat your head on if you were rear ended. Ok for people shorter than the seat :)
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby LolTM » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:36 am

Richardn wrote:Forget the Style bar, as you're tall. It will put a lump of metal behind your head to beat your head on if you were rear ended. Ok for people shorter than the seat :)

Hmm... Never thought of that - good plan!

Typical though - first day back in the office after picking her up and it was raining :x That and Dundee planners completely knackering up entering the city from the east have given me a dark mood this morning. Need more tea methinks!
LolTM
OC Member
Lol Scragg
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Rostra » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:32 pm

Welcome to the club.
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.
89 1.6, 90 1.6 - one for each foot.
Rostra

Postby LolTM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:25 pm

weather has been too bad to give the new car a decent polish and get some pics, but I did manage to replace all the speakers over the weekend, so if anyone is in Dundee and see's a green H reg with the top down in the cold with awful 80's rock being played, that'll be me :lol:
LolTM
OC Member
Lol Scragg
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sbloxxy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi Lol, glad you're enjoying the car.
The hood should fold down without having to unzip the glass rear screen. It just needs a bit of a push to encourage it into place along with a bit of 'technique'!
I also seem to recall that you may be able to adjust the tension of the torsion bars that are supposed to hold the boot lid up. Might be worth an internet search on that one.
Steve
sbloxxy

Next

Return to New Users