New name needed for North Scotland East

Discussion about events organised by the three North of Scotland areas.
[Please do not cross-post]

Re: New name needed for North Scotland East

Postby tjay » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:27 pm

:D how about just sticking to your region,Tayside,Fife,Grampian ect. Nse, could become the "The Riggers" a good oil related name eh, lol ! The Fife area can be the "Fly Fifers",Central can remain the same,Strathclyde is ok and the rest can be
the "Highlanders" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Make your mind up soon as the AGM is next month !!
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby iainf » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:28 pm

tjay wrote: Make your mind up soon as the AGM is next month !!

And who is going to be attending this?
Iain Fleming
National Events | Branding, Press & PR | Merchandise www.mx5oc.co.uk/store
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Not either of us from NSE unfortunately, travel logistics and costs are prohibitive. It's a 14 hour round trip driving or mega bucks (and an indirect route) by plane, train is just not practical either. :?
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Brackensmum » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Didn't we go through this at the Redgarth last year? And didn't we come up with "Boorachie of Teuchters"? This name has the benefit of being ethnic, unpronounceable, and fun. :wink:
Say what is true, and say what is pleasant; do not say what is true but unpleasant, do not say what is pleasant but untrue.
Brackensmum

Postby IanH » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:18 am

While Boorachie 'o' Teuchters is a good name we need something a wee bit more formal that will also translate to a wider audience but not as stuffy as North Scotland East which doesn't really mean anything.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Richardn » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:47 pm

IanH wrote:Not either of us from NSE unfortunately, travel logistics and costs are prohibitive. It's a 14 hour round trip driving or mega bucks (and an indirect route) by plane, train is just not practical either. :?

The Club pays travelling expenses IIRC
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Richardn wrote:
IanH wrote:Not either of us from NSE unfortunately, travel logistics and costs are prohibitive. It's a 14 hour round trip driving or mega bucks (and an indirect route) by plane, train is just not practical either. :?

The Club pays travelling expenses IIRC

That's true, however when we added up the various options it came to quite a significant amount for AC's and Partners, notwithstanding the requirement to drive from Aberdeen to Edinburgh at stupid o'clock in the morning to catch a plane it did not seem to present value for money. The amount of peoples membership receipts (high 3 figures) could possibly be better spent on promoting the club and/or be available to help fund organised events.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Postby The Pram » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:49 pm

Turning in to an interesting debate now.

I'm not sure why a name change needs to go to the AGM? I'm not keen on folk who have little or no impact on our activities having the power to say yes or no to our suggestion. I dare say that is proper etiquette right enough so it must be the rebel in me :mrgreen:

I'm quite taken with Eddie's suggestions.....very funny. What about a fair pucklie fives? If we went for Granite City Oilers we might be mistaken for a baseball team or something?

It would be fine to have a catchie we ditti instead of the current mouthful :roll:
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
The Pram

Postby IanH » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:11 pm

I don't believe it does need to go to the AGM, I think we (North Sub Areas) all need to decide whether we all want to change our name(s) and get it processed at the same time by AC Liaison rather than in dribs and drabs.

If either area does not want to change then they only need to confirm this now, if they do want to change then we need a self imposed deadline not dependant on the AGM which has no input into this to submit them together. Though I'm still not entirely comfortable with this idea (that some appear to have) that we are potentially regarded as one bigger area (North Scotland) although we don't operate that way. Yes we do co-operate (as do all Scottish areas) but each of us are autonomous with regard to planning, events, pub meets etc.....
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Postby Rostra » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:53 pm

On your side, chaps and chapesses - Since I am officially a NSN person I think we ought to be The Highlanders, but we need to ask Martin for his opinion.
Pleeeeeese don't go for the Borrachie option in NSE - I can't pronounce it!
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.
89 1.6, 90 1.6 - one for each foot.
Rostra

Postby liathach » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Angie, we'll teach you! You've made a pretty good attempt at writing it as it is pronounced! Me thinks the quine doth protest too much :lol:
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby mnp1962 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:16 pm

I have enough problems as it is trying to understand some strong accents up in the far North East - Fit like! etc

I guess for my area The Highlands & islands is quite straight forward although it does include Moray :roll:

Martin
MK1 1.6 mariner blue, import
mnp1962

Postby The Pram » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:22 pm

mnp1962 wrote:I have enough problems as it is trying to understand some strong accents up in the far North East - Fit like! etc

I guess for my area The Highlands & islands is quite straight forward although it does include Moray :roll:

Martin

What about "high fives" Martin :mrgreen:

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
The Pram

Postby Rostra » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:10 am

The Pram wrote:What about "high fives" Martin :mrgreen:

You might think you're joking, but I think it's a great idea!! :lol: :lol:
Rostra

Postby drumtochty » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Says she packing her bags to leave us again for hotter parts.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby The Pram » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:11 pm

She does have god taste though :mrgreen:

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
The Pram

Postby BillB » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:18 pm

iainf wrote:
tjay wrote: Make your mind up soon as the AGM is next month !!

And who is going to be attending this?

Probably from 1 to 3 people from Scotland and the multitude from 'Englandshire' if past attendance is anything to go by.
Roll on 'Independance day'
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby drumtochty » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:59 pm

If anyone goes down to the AGM from Scotland. Don't what ever you do, mention the war or 1966, you'll never hear the end of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eddie
Last edited by drumtochty on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Rostra » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:39 am

The Pram wrote:She does have god taste though :mrgreen:

Huh?? "Just a God complex" says David. :lol:
Rostra

Postby iainf » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:29 pm

BillB wrote: Probably from 1 to 3 people from Scotland and the multitude from 'Englandshire' if past attendance is anything to go by.
Roll on 'Independance day'

drumtochty wrote:If anyone goes down to the AGM from Scotland. Don't what ever you do, mention the war or 1966, you'll never hear the end of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jees guys - more people from Scotland can go, there is a choice not to.

This a national club all points North, South, East and West and including Eire, and we enjoy benefits, support, equipment, magazines, insurance deals, parts discounts etc etc all because of the national spread and size of the club.

If we put all the Scottish members together, currently 289 (CS186, NSE 44, NSN19, NSS40) it does not account to anyway the level that would sustain this kind of member benefit in Scotland. Let alone the stack up on the percentage of received support from the club, nor a case for splitting the North region to form the 3 smallest mainland regions in the club.
There are 5890 members currently in the whole club, so Scotland represents 4.9% of this membership so 3 people going to the meeting is over representation (but there will be 7).

Comments up here and in the forums on demanding more from the club as well as slinging mud at the North South membership balance in jest or not, just serve to undermine the work done and the position of Scottish members, we are in a glass house tossing the rocks about. It will not take much to incense a member south of the border and fire up a fury on the UK forum.

If things are to grow and strengthen here and additional region created, it is simple
- A membership drive from Area Coordinators (AC) and members to encourage build numbers in Scotland.
- AC attendance to represent their members' voices at the the Annual meeting (it is only one day of the year)
- Continued and increased collaboration between the areas.

The work in Scotland collectively outshines many other areas of the club in the effort that the ACs go to in working in their areas as well as together. We can only continue to build on all the good work done here to do more and more to improve membership benefit for those in the Scotland. Take for instance the Phoenix Mazda deal as a start.

I am happy to personally commit (considerable) time and energy to the support the benefits of a National picture and want to ensure that Scotland continues to have a fair share of the club benefit.

This is a friendly and welcome environment for all owners and members, let's try and keep the discrimination out of it.
Iain Fleming
National Events | Branding, Press & PR | Merchandise www.mx5oc.co.uk/store
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Previous

Return to Highland & Moray, Grampian and Tayside