New Year Run Cancelled

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

New Year Run Cancelled

Postby Jim » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:02 pm

I'm grateful to Ian and others for organising this run but have to say they made the right decision to cancel!

The snow has been falling quite heavily in Dunfermline on and off all day and I know the route quite well and would say there are a number of bits that require an uphill climb on possibly untreated roads (not the MX-5's forte). The annual New Year walk was cancelled in Dunfermline today - the first cancellation in its 25 year history :cry:

Maybe we could do the same run later in the year so that the organisers hard work is not lost!

Otherwise - Happy New Year to all :D

Jim & Alison
Drop the hood and let the world in 8-)

Jim
Jim
OC Member
Jim Tolson

Re: New Year Run Cancelled

Postby Dot and Chas » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:25 pm

We agree with Jim.It was the right decision to make.Hopefully we can do the run later in the year if the snow ever stops!
Thank you to Ian,Jacqueline,Chic and Heather for all the work,hopefully it won't be wasted.
I hope we hear soon that Chic and Heather are safely home.
Dot and Chas
Chas............Fire up the Z-Sport!

Get Busy Living!!!!
Dot and Chas
OC Member
Dot and Chas
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanN » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:24 pm

Thanks for the support guys, it's always a very hard decision to cancel an event.

We'll use the original route again later in the year so all the time and effort wont be wasted.

I've emailed everyone who said that they were coming so hopefully no one will go to the start point in the morning.

I can also confirm that Chic is now home safe and sound after his ordeal. Heather was sensible, she didn't go. :D

The next event is a Pub Meet in Edinburgh on Thursday evening 14th January lets all make a big effort to make this a success.

Details: http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/events.php?event_id=393

See you there.

Ian
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby slartibartfast » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:37 pm

We also want to pass on our thanks for the trouble taken to organise the run and for doing the various recces. Looking at the pics it was the right call.

Don't think we can make the pub night, but hope to meet up with folk at an event in the near future.

Thanks again

Ian & Aileen (newbies !)
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby aging eejit » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Appreciation for the work put into the organisation of the run. As an NSS interloper, hopefully I can still make the "re-run" when the weather improves...if that's not being a bit too optimistic at the moment. Ah well, tomorrow's free time can now let me catch up wi' ma Broon's Annual :)

Alex.
aging eejit

Postby Gavin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Hopefully run isn't cancelled, just postponed until another date.
2009 Convertible Coupe 2.0L Sport now that the 2005 LE and 2007 Z Sport Limited are dead.
Gavin
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby CharlesK » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:49 pm

While the road surface was like a glass mirror it did not stop idiots driving down the hard shoulder and making it into a 3 lane motorway until they reached the jack knifed lorries and then tried to force their way back into normal lane - thankfully the police arrived shortly after and these idiots now probably have a financial penalty awaiting them
CharlesK
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 01mx5 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:22 pm

Probably a wise move, given how changeable the weather is just now, more than anything else.

Maybe another time...
BRG Limited Edition BBR Turbo
Ramsay Ashby
Admin & Developer for the National forum
01mx5
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby wattie97 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:21 pm

The right move but call it postponed not cancelled.
I JUST LIKE DRIVING.
wattie97
OC Member
Wattie Sinclair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Colin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Glad to hear about the postponement. I was in one of the cars gridlocked for 4.5 hours between Barnton and the Forth Road Bridge at 10pm last night. Being stationary on sheet black ice with heavy snow falling on top and cars all around switching off lights and engines, we were getting ready to bed in for the night on the open road ...

... and we still thought of you lot having a run the next day!

For the record, having eventually skidded the 6 miles to the Forth Road bridge we returned to Edinburgh and sought sanctuary at my folks' place. All's well that ends well, but very scary at the time.
Cheers
Colin
Maturity is greatly overrated
Colin
OC Member
Colin Stuart

Return to General Chat