what size??

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

what size??

Postby smiles » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:56 pm

Hey guys what size are the speakers in the door cards as i took the metal plate off and couldnt see the size and didnty want to take the doorcard off till i had a reason to take it off cos in previous cars it takes ages. Does anyone know what size they are?
smiles

Postby IanH » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:09 pm

Which marque, 1,2,3? Don't know the sizes or if there are any differences but it may help others who do know 8)
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby smiles » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:15 pm

soz its a mk 1 p reg 1997 if that helps
cheers
smiles

Postby Rugger » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:34 pm

1992 Mk1 eunos roadster.....gone to a new home
2006 Mk3 2.0 Sports

Founder member of PHD motor tractors association.
Rugger
OC Member
Andy Wylie
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby DTB » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Is the mk2 a different size? I seem to recall reading the door speakers for them are 8 inch.
DTB

Postby gm » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:59 pm

for a mk1, fit 6.5 inch speakers

i just fitted a pair of alpine sxe-1725s speakers which sound pretty good.
gm

Postby jimk » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:03 pm

DTB wrote:Is the mk2 a different size? I seem to recall reading the door speakers for them are 8 inch.

Hi,

The speakers on my Mk2 were 8" x 5.75" and looked like this,

jimk
jimk

Postby DTB » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:07 pm

Thanks. Would replacements have to be 8 x 5.75 or is that just the size mazda used - in other words would 8" x 8" fit if the plastic housing plate things (technical term) were modified?

Anybody who has replaced their mk2 door speakers - have you got any suggestions for make/model replacement units?
DTB

Re: what size??

Postby DTB » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:32 pm

Well the update on this MK2 speaker issue is:

8 x 6 speakers are a direct replacement. Coaxials are fitted as standard (some special editions may have component set up) and for ease coaxials are the best to upgrade with. The standard speakers are okay but do not offer decent sound quality. You may think they do...until you hear upgrades. For me music is about quality rather than volume.

I replaced the head unit with a Kenwood KDC W4644UY, which I can run an ipod through directly and also memory stick storage. An SD card would have been good but one can't have everything. This runs to a cheap 2-way amp, a Kenwood KAC 5204. The speakers were replaced with JBL GTO-8627 coaxials. I ran new speaker wire to replace the very thin standard wire. Replacing the speaker wire was a bit tricky on account of the body to door wiring being via a plug. What I did was drill a new ser of holes just below the door plug. I painted the drilled surface to stop rust setting in, and ran a new flexible tube through the two holes and put the new wire through that. While I had the door stripped off I put a few layers of flashing tape on the outer skin of the door behind the speaker, and also on the inner skin of the door. All in all the upgrade cost less than £250 and took a few hours for a novice to install. The difference in quality is huge. There is a bit of a misconception that an amp is only relevant where an increase in volume is desired. That is not the case. An amp makes a tremendous difference to quality of sound.

On a sunny day on a B-road the top will be down, the stereo will be turned off, and I will be loving the rasp of the exhaust. Sadly life is not always so romantic. When I'm stuck in traffic and it's raining I will have the music on and I will be glad of every pound I spend upgrading. :D
DTB

Return to ICE and Music