NSE - Motorvation - 19th July

Discussion about events organised by the three North of Scotland areas.
[Please do not cross-post]

Postby Colin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:19 pm

Double post - thanks server!
Cheers
Colin
Maturity is greatly overrated
Colin
OC Member
Colin Stuart

Postby liathach » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:15 pm

Ford RS200 maybe. If so, it was built for Gp B rallying before Gp B cars were eventually banned.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby Rugger » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:08 pm

Hmmmmm................methinks tis a Ford RS200

:? :?
1992 Mk1 eunos roadster.....gone to a new home
2006 Mk3 2.0 Sports

Founder member of PHD motor tractors association.
Rugger
OC Member
Andy Wylie
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby skinnydoug » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:35 pm

Colin wrote:Looks like a great time was had by all.

Can anyone tell me which car is displayed in skinnydoug's photo number 13?

Ooh! I know this one! It is indeed a Ford RS200 built to compete in Group B rallying but never got anywhere before the class was deemed too dangerous.

They were in the process of banning these things along with 205 T16s, UR Quattros, Metro 6R4s, Stratoses and the like around the time I became 'car-aware'.

I wonder if the more modern top rally stuff is actually faster.

Its a shame there wasn't more stuff like that for me to oggle at. Still, it was a good day.

Douglas
Skinnydoug - "Enthusiastic amatuer"
skinnydoug

Postby skinnydoug » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:40 pm

Rostra wrote:
skinnydoug wrote:Here's a link to [url=http://picasaweb.google.com/skinnymcdoug/AlfordMotorvation19072009#]my collection of pics from today.
[/url]
Douglas

But not the ones that you took with my camera!! LOL. It's about time I learned to use it myself. :roll:

Ah yes, your camera. I enjoyed my little outing with that, sorry I deprived you of it for so long. Did any nice pictures come of it?

I missed the feel of a proper camera while taking pictures of the mini/bike stunt show. The ol' point and squirt did OK though.

Douglas
skinnydoug

Postby mgrays » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:45 pm

An S200 but for real Group B .. go look up the Lancia Delta S4 .. turbo and supercharged 2 litre 4wd and in final incarnation (Group S ECV) it was going to be about 600 hp in a ton :shock: Now that would be fun :twisted:

It was the S4 that killed the Group B after Toivonen accident in Corsica; but the modern stuff is quicker in seconds/mile due to better traction/electronics even if they do sound like they should be slower..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia_Delta_S4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia_ECV

.. now many moons ago I thought I was going to get back into interesting cars with the Roadster before progressing to an Integrale.. now I know how fragile and difficult to maintain they are .. well let's say I am not now looking for one but I do still have a Fulvia to keep the memory alive!
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby skinnydoug » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:15 pm

mgrays wrote:An S200 but for real Group B .. go look up the Lancia Delta S4 .. turbo and supercharged 2 litre 4wd and in final incarnation (Group S ECV) it was going to be about 600 hp in a ton :shock: Now that would be fun :twisted:

I had a matchbox model 037 in Martini livery as a kid and I have an early memory of watching Top Gear's Rally Report and have a giggling Tony Mason explain how some bloke in what was probably a Delta had finished a stage on 3 wheels after smashing one wheel off.

mgrays wrote: modern stuff is quicker in seconds/mile due to better traction/electronics even if they do sound like they should be slower..

I figured they would be. It's like F1 is generally faster now than it was when I was watching the 1.5l Turbo motors with massive BHPs and full slicks.

Qualifying is less exciting now they have to keep the engine in one piece for more than a couple of miles. :)

Douglas
skinnydoug

Previous

Return to Highland & Moray, Grampian and Tayside