CD multi changer

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

CD multi changer

Postby The Pram » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:33 pm

Hi all,

I fancy getting a CD multi changer (new or second hand) instead of the single slot thing that the car comes with. I assume that any make will work??

also, (clean suggestions only) where would be a good idea to put it, considering the limited space in the car. Dont really want to use up the glove compartment and need to boot space too. Would it fit or work behind the seats??

any ideas welcome

Thanks

Lorraine
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby DouglasH » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:15 am

Lorraine, a few options depending on the size of the changer, don't think behind the seats would work, boot is best, probably the space at the aerial and behind the plastic carpet that goes up the well there, you could utilise existing plastic cubby then box in with hardboard and carpet.

Plenty of fixing points as you can see.

You can buy the Mazda changer to suit your existing (double din unit) or go for an after market (single din unit) Hi-Fi and changer, in which case you would save space and gain a cubby box in the dash.

Alternatively buy an mp3 player and record all your cd's on a few discs :lol: say's the man who has had one for over a year and not got round to doing this yet, to be honest I seldom use the Hi-Fi because the hood is down most of the time ( :oops: cringe...I hate saying that, sound like one of those whingers on the National forum)
DouglasH

Postby lochpark » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:42 am

Is your head unit not of the newer modular design that Mazda are fitting at the moment :?:

If it is then the six disc changer is dash mounted and simply replaces the existing single disc unit :!: possibly a pricey solution but extremely neat as you don't have to find anywhere to put it.

Some information on the modular systems here http://www.miata.net/garage/nbaudio/ or http://www.mazda.co.uk/buy/accessories/ ... estyle.pdf

You do sometimes see these coming up on ebay, but not very often.
lochpark

Postby kristoff » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:18 am

Forget it and go for an MP3/CD Player, they're the way forward, or even better invest in an iPod.
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Postby The Pram » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:30 am

thanks for all that.

kristoff - wouldn't be so bad but I just sold an mp3 player/recorder on ebay a few months back!! What do you do with an iPod in the car? Have one of these but how does it work with the car system?

lochpark - I had at look at the links given and it seems that have a silver face but the AM button has not been changed to SAT. Nevermind! I think it is the double DIN or whatever. Too technical for me I am afraid!

I think the best but more expensive option is the mazda one that replaces the single slot CD, then this leaves more room.

I had looked for the lifestyle page on mazda's webiste but could not find it, so now I know how much it costs!! Lots!!

Ok, next question, I take it that these can only be bought from mazda??

Thanks again

Lorraine

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby lochpark » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:07 am

I have the Alpine CDA-8847 MP3 CD head unit with a KCA-420i interface and 40GB Ipod, with this set up you can run the cable to a convenient storage hiding place and put the Ipod wherever you like, i'e glovebox / centre consul / under the seat etc

Much better solution to a changer as you have the added behefit as Douglas suggested of an MP3 Cd in the car permanently and can take the music (Ipod) out when you leave the car and still keep listening, takes up minimum space and lets you fit the all important cubby :!:

If you already have the Ipod or other MP3 device there are other solutions especially if you have the modular units http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id/682

Other ways of connecting an Ipod such as an Itrip or Cardock http://www.everythingipod.co.uk/cgi-bin ... =cat&ref=6
lochpark

Postby JIMMYD » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:51 am

Buy an ipod and the audiolink shown in Lochpark's post with the cable running to the glove box if you want to keep it out of sight or buy a cradle to keep it accessible for changing tracks etc. All the perks of mp3 plus portable sound.
JIMMYD

Postby Kaypee » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:07 pm

One Ipod solution is to get a transmitter over ebay from the states. This plugs into the earphone socket of the ipod and transmits the music on a predefined radio frquency. Just tune your radio into the selected frequency and bobs yer aunties husband - no wiring needed.

Oh by the way... the transmitters are slightly illegal in this country but whose gonna find out. I wont tell if you dont :wink:
Growing old is compulsory
Growing up is optional!!
Kaypee

Postby The Pram » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 pm

Thats clever indeed!! Like the sound of that! :lol:

just had a wee look at ebay and there are lots to pick from. Do you suggest the proper iPod one or any old thing?

Lorraine

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby Fee » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:40 pm

Hubby uses one of these radio transmission things in my car, it's called an i-Trip and works fantastically! I'd defo recomend it. I think his is the official one as it says i-Trip on it. Also get a charger to plug into the ciggy lighter so you don't run out of battery mid way through singing your fave tune!

I don't know how easy it would be to change tunes if no passenger to do it - music in the car is not my department, I'm too busy driving, so hubby sets them all up. Someone else can maybe confirm if it's easy or not.

Fee
Mk3 2 litre Sport Brilliant Black
Mk 2.5 Crystal Blue - Gone But Not Forgotten
OC 12837
Fee

Postby secat187 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:05 pm

The Cardock is great. I use one in my car and holds my ipod in place through all the windy and bumpy road. Not sure how well it would work on the mk2 or above as I don't know where the cigarette lighter socket is, but its fine on a mk1.
secat187

Postby The Pram » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:22 pm

the lighter is in the centre console so might be a bugger for arms etc when driving. mmmmmm :?

there are heaps if iTrips on ebay so i can feel a purchase coming on anyway. does anyone know if the iTrip just works with iPod or would it so the same with my sony mp3 player.

L

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby secat187 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:28 pm

The iTrip won't work with your sony but the Belkin one will and its pretty good. I have one and used it until i bought the cardock.

http://www.everythingipod.co.uk/item--B ... U0065.html
secat187

Postby The Pram » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:40 pm

Good show and there are heaps on ebay too. so much choice.........

will maybe go for the belkin one as we have an Ipod and a sony mp3 player so it would make more sense to get one that works with both.

thank god for this forum, thats all I can say. Its been such a agreat help in the short time I have been using it

Now, is anyone any good at writing essays on restorative justice..... :?

Lorraine

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby secat187 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:31 pm

Whats that all about?
secat187

Postby The Pram » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:37 pm

dont ask!! would be here all night.

I am doing a course with open university and this is the last assignment before the exam. Basically its a new way to deal with offenders that is less formal than going to court. The victim gets a say in deciding what should be done and involves lots more folk than just 2 lawyers and a judge.

i have to say what its about, where it came from and if its any good for dealing with youth offending. Are you glad you asked now?? :shock:

I would much rather be out in the car or putting music on my mp3 but this has to be done :evil:

Lorraine

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby secat187 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:48 pm

I suggest leaving it 'till after midnight, I always found that my best essays were done around about 12am-3am the day before they were due. Thats after doing all the research first though.
secat187

Postby Phil » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:37 pm

Never mind all that twaddle, just 'string em up'. 8) :shock: :shock: :shock:
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby The Pram » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:40 pm

here here!! that would make for a very short essay indeed but sadly no points! No points - no prizes. :cry:

Boorachie of Teuchters.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby rockdoc » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:41 pm

restorative justice essays- no problem :P , - any good at sorting out speeding tickets :?: :oops:
rockdoc

Next

Return to ICE and Music