Hands Free Kit

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Hands Free Kit

Postby potuks » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:25 pm

I'm finally getting round to installing my hands free kit in my car. I'm wondering if anyone has one in there car and the best place to locate the microphone to avoid wind noise. I would like to be able to use it with the hood down if at all possible.
potuks

Postby CarolB » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:35 pm

I fitted an io Play kit a few weeks ago having seen good reviews. The microphone sits just behind the steering wheel in front of the dials / trip switch, secured with a wee clip and a tiny dod of blue tac to stop it sliding. I'm told the sound quality is good, tho I haven't tried it with the lid off.

Only prob is the actual sound quality of the incoming call, which for some reason is v poor, especially when the car is moving. His Nibs tells me this shouldn't be the case and to email io Play to see what the problem is, as it works great otherwise. When I get it fixed, I'll let you know.
CarolB
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BillB » Fri May 01, 2009 12:33 pm

I have just bought and set up a Nexxus hands free kit in my MX5. Cheap and cheerful from Amazon, it does what it says on the box. Sound quality is good and the people I speak with say that they have no problems hearing me and the audio is good.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby Snowcat » Sat May 02, 2009 12:51 am

Handsfree through a Bluetooth connection in my radio here.

My mic is tucked into the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen behind the oddly shaped top vent.

Apparently I can be heard loud and clear even with the top down though I've had problems with air noise from the vents (predictably) and the TomTom barging into the conversation and deafening the poor sod on the other end... :wink: (mounted to the small triangular window on the same side)

2002 "mk2.5" 1.6L BRG
The road going Ridge Racer...
Snowcat

Postby Stonehaven » Sat May 02, 2009 1:48 pm

CarolB wrote:I fitted an io Play kit a few weeks ago having seen good reviews. The microphone sits just behind the steering wheel in front of the dials / trip switch, secured with a wee clip and a tiny dod of blue tac to stop it sliding.

On an old Mk1 5 I had previously, I had a kit fitted professionally and the installer mounted the mic as above - it worked well hood up or down.
Mk3.5 RC Sport Tech and Range Rover TDV8 - back in a 5 after five years of Porsches - everyone should own a 911 at some point

past: 95 Mazdaspeed B Spec MS13, R Ltd, 96 Gleneagles, 91 1.6 (killed), 95 California x2, 90G 1.6 + 5 more 5s

OC Member 3068
Stonehaven

Return to ICE and Music