Mk 1 versus Mk2 versus Mk2.5 versus Mk3

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Mk 1 versus Mk2 versus Mk2.5 versus Mk3

Postby ben c » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:29 pm

This has probably been done before, I'm sorry if it has.

Svthou's topic about trading in his mk1 for a mk2 made me think. For those who have owned more than one MX5 which was the best or most memorable.
ben c

Postby Gordon » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:45 pm

Mk 2 is a better car (quieter, bigger boot, better equipped), Mk 1 is more raw, maybe a bit more exciting to drive because of it. I suspect Mk 3 will be more of the same.
--
Gordon
Previously Kermit, Classic Red NA
Now Bottom, Blue NB RS Ltd
Gordon

Postby Stonehaven » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:14 pm

Driven all at different times but only ever owned Mk1s (8.5 of them).
The newer the model the more refined, more powerful and heavier they are - to me the original is still the best.
Mk3.5 RC Sport Tech and Range Rover TDV8 - back in a 5 after five years of Porsches - everyone should own a 911 at some point

past: 95 Mazdaspeed B Spec MS13, R Ltd, 96 Gleneagles, 91 1.6 (killed), 95 California x2, 90G 1.6 + 5 more 5s

OC Member 3068
Stonehaven

They are all good

Postby WJamie » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:50 pm

You are correct this has been discussed many times. Do a search and you will find quite a lot of comments and observations.

I have previously posted twice on the subject. Search for author wjamie and you will see the whole chain of replys etc. I have cut and pasted my posts below. FYI I am now driving a new SLK200. Very happy with it but still have very fond memories of all 4 of my MX5's

July 2008

On Thursday night I bought myself a 1995 1.6 MX5 (88hp). My 2 year contract lease on my current 2.0 MK3 will soon end and it will be on its way. Unsure what to do longer term so in the mean time I will revert to the MK1.

Drove it home on the Thursday night listening to every squeak and creak wondering it it would last long enough to get me home. It did I thought to myself what have I done in comparison to my MK3.

Next morning drove to my work in my MK3 and thought what a wonderful car. Power steering. excellent brakes and handling, comfortable, quiet and refined.

Spent Friday night and Saturday cleaning, servicing, adjusting handbrake and chipping off the rust This being the MK1 and not the MK3.

Although the bodywork is not good, from about 10 feet away it looks great. Had to go into Aberdeen today for some more bits and pieces for the car.

Decided to take it for a spin with my 13 year old son. So I am now driving a 13 year old MK1 with 88HP as compared to my just under 2 year old MK3 with 157hp. Once I had got the temp up to normal I started to give it a bit of welly so to speak. It did not take too long and I had a huge smile on my face as did my son. Looking at the speedo and I was not going that fast but the sensation of speed and the roar when accelerating (ILS Exhaust) was quite simply brilliant. It was a lot slower than the MK3, as it should be and it was noticible however the sheer sense of fun and enjoyment to be had from the lowly 88hp was still excellent.

So to date I have had a MK2.5 for three years. A 1990 Eunos Roadster 1.6 (114HP). 2.0 MK3 for two years (157 HP) and now a 1995 MK1 MX5.

Without exception thay have all been great cars. Hence the reason I am on car 4. In my opinion the MK3 is by far the best one and I am taking mine off to Brittany in a few weeks for a last blast before returning it. Would not consider doing that in the MK1. Too noisy too bumpy etc.

However for the sheer unadultared joy of driving the most basic MK1 MX5 that I drove today was excellent. So far a quick blast about the countryside I would genuinly choose the MK1. However for a long drive and for day to day living the MK3 is the one.

This now leaves me in a quandry when I return the MK3. Do I run the MK1 till the MOT runs out and get rid off it. Do I spend a £1K in doing it up and keeping it longer term or do I go for another contract lease and get myself another new 2.0.

Decisions decisions.

August 2006

Hi

I am interested in peoples opinions on the various MX5's. I purchased a 2002 1.8i new and had it for three years. Great car lots of fun totally reliable. My financial circumstances changed so I had to sell. Loved it so much I could not cope without so bought a 1.6 1990 Eunos Roadster. To be honest it has been every bit as much fun. Still in very good nick and still lots of fun. The roadster has leather etc so in some regards it is better. I do miss the glass rear screen, not so much from a visibility problem but more the inconvenience of folding the plastic screen down before lowering the roof. I also miss the remote central locking.

I am considering buying a new MK3. Undecided on whether to go for the 1.8 or 2.0 or to go for the whole hog and buy a 2.0i sport. I am not going to wait for the CC. Prefer the look of the cloth roof (Option pack).

How does the 1.8 drive compared to the MK2.5 1.8. Does it feel underpowered? Is it worth paying etc for the 2.0? Does it feel a lot faster?
Will I notice a huge difference compared to my MK1 or should I save my money and carry on with my 16 year old Eunos which still puts a smile on my face.

What do you think?
MK3.0 2.0i Option Pack & MK 1 1.6 1995
Previously ownedMk 1 1.6 Roadster V Special 1990
Previously Owned MK 2.5 1.8 2002
WJamie

Postby murwilson » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:12 am

Right now, the Mk3 is best. In January, the Mk3.5 will be the best. In 2011 the Mk4 (or whatever), will be best.

Change happens, change is good. Peoples expectations move on and businesses adapt to meet those expectations.

If the Mk1 was the best MX5, Mazda would still be building it today. It's a great car, an oustanding car, but it's design, it's technology, it's feel are now 20 years old. It's time has past.

People have moved on, Mazda are a succesful company so they move with the people and adapt according to what they want. The Mk3 is the best MX5 today.

The end.

Mur
Hers - '08 Stormy Blue MK3 Sport, factory lowered, k&n filter, Toyo Proxes PX4, I.L. Motorsports stainless exhaust.
http://www.mymx5.org
His - '08 Deep Bronze Civic Type R. Standard. It's a hooligan!
murwilson

Postby Zakadoodle » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 pm

Interesting thread, sorry mur Wilson but have to disagree with you!!!!

"MK3 is the best" - best at what? best looking? best handling? Best on a track? most refined?

People will choose a model of MX5 that suits * their individual circumstances * for example, I want a 2 seater sports car that's reliable, very raw with no 'modern technology' a la Caterham style. I want something that will lie in my garage and start first time when I fancy some raw and fun motoring. I want something I can 'tinker' with because I enjoy working on cars. Thus the MK1 for my circumstances is "the best".

For people who use the MX5 everyday, then for sure, the MK3 must be 'the best' contender, depending on budgets as well though, MK2.5 sports are very nice cars.

"People have moved on" - so why are VW bringing back the Scirocco? why did VW bring back the Beetle? and why are Mazda designers showing prototypes that are "in the same design ethos" as the MK1 and developing rotary engined RX8's??

The 'best' depends upon * YOUR * want's and needs, not simply what is the newest model available. I drive a 240BHP Astra VXR everyday and to get back to some raw 115 BHP MX-5 motoring is simply bliss. I don't want refinement and new technology!!! I want raw fun!!! ........ and for that MK1 is hard to beat.

Scott
Software development is a race between software engineers building bigger and better systems, and the Universe producing bigger and better idiots.
Zakadoodle

Postby Robin » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:07 pm

An old cliche springs to mind.
M3/2's are better cars. Mk1's are better MX5's.
Period :wink:
Robin

Postby MichaelG » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:06 pm

Robin wrote:An old cliche springs to mind.
M3/2's are better cars. Mk1's are better MX5's.
Period :wink:

The truth ...

He speaks it
MichaelG

Postby Alex » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:30 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz someone come up with a fresh topic, PLEASE, this comparison has been going on for the three years I've been a member and is sooooo boring!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :roll:
Alex

Postby kevham » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:07 pm

Alex wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz someone come up with a fresh topic, PLEASE, this comparison has been going on for the three years I've been a member and is sooooo boring!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :roll:

It's been going on a lot longer than that Alex! :roll:

Chrome bumpers are better than plastic bumpers................
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby John Scott » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:52 pm

The best MX5 is the one you can afford!
John Scott
BRG 1.6 Mk2.5
John Scott

Postby Snowcat » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:52 am

The best MX5 is the car you currently have parked on the drive/in the garage.

You wouldn't have bought it or be driving it otherwise! :mrgreen:

2002 "mk2.5" 1.6L BRG
The road going Ridge Racer...
Snowcat

Postby Robin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:59 pm

Alex
I fell asleep in the office today counting the Zees :wink:
Robin

Postby Madboy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:47 am

Snowcat wrote:The best MX5 is the car you currently have parked on the drive/in the garage.

You wouldn't have bought it or be driving it otherwise! :mrgreen:

100% agree! :mrgreen:
Bobby & Suzie M
Without the bitter - the sweet just aint as sweet!
Madboy

Postby steveti » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:14 pm

Zakadoodle wrote: "People have moved on" - so why are VW bringing back the Scirocco? why did VW bring back the Beetle?

VW are only bringing back cars bearing the names, I suspect they would be laughed at if they tried to market the beetle as it was manufactured in its original 1938 format.

There is really no argument over which is the 'best' as has been said we will more than likely consider the 'best' model to be the one we drive are driving, best suiting our needs - as individuals.

It's a bit like asking what is the best colour, song, part of the country to live in etc etc. Just my opinion of course.
steveti

Postby Richardn » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:35 pm

Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Zakadoodle » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:05 pm

:offtopic2:

"VW are only bringing back cars bearing the names, I suspect they would be laughed at if they tried to market the beetle as it was manufactured in its original 1938 format."

I totally agree with you Steve, but the point I am making is that the petrol head population want now in a car what they have always wanted and that is a car with bags of personality. People drove these cars when they were young and twenty years later are romancing about them (in some cases can't understand why!). VW seen a marketing opportunity and went for it. The new models probably only retain a small percentage of that original feel but hey you feel like you did when your 25 again!!

As an aside point I think technology in cars is a great thing, especially when it improves safety and makes the car more environmentally friendly. If I was in the market for an everyday 2 seater the Mk3 would be my first choice.
Software development is a race between software engineers building bigger and better systems, and the Universe producing bigger and better idiots.
Zakadoodle

Postby steveti » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi Zackadoodle, point I was making about the current Beetle is that the only thing it has in common with the original model and then the models of the sixties, where it gained it's popularity, is roughly, the shape. It is now front engined, water cooled,front wheel drive and retains (IMHO) none of the character the originals had.

The MX5 on the other hand has retained front engine, rear wheel drive, 50/50 weight distribution, Mazda has gone to great efforts to keep all the models, Mk1 through to Mk3 as light as possible whilst complying with the required legislations and again IMHO done a great job model on each and every model, I've only had two a MK2.5 and my current MK3 and personally prefer the MK3 - for my needs.

I truly think the 'best' car is the MX5 in each and every one of its marks, there are very few, indeed are there any, competitors in the market that come close for simplicity, tuneability, affordability and sheer driving pleasure, oh and I nearly forgot grin factor :D

Regards,

Steve.
steveti

Postby ben c » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:04 am

Alex wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz someone come up with a fresh topic, PLEASE, this comparison has been going on for the three years I've been a member and is sooooo boring!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :roll:

Well, why did you even look at this topic then?
ben c

Re: Mk 1 versus Mk2 versus Mk2.5 versus Mk3

Postby Geomac1962 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:35 am

If you enjoy driving and have access to the right roads then undoubtedly the mark 1 with some light tuning is the purists car and best to drive. If it's your everyday drive you are probably better with a mark 3 on. However my Mark 1 regularly goes from York to Edinburgh where I work and my A6 stays behind on the drive, I've even done the journey in the snow and rain and I never use the top. I love the mark 1 and genuinely believe the mx5 would never have achieved cult status had we started with the mark 2.
There are plenty of small saloons that drive like the mark 3, same size and 4 doors. The argument that newest is best doesn't hold water, more technologically advanced and safer but if we are talking about driving you spend £1500 on a decent mark 1 and another £2000 getting it right. Best example of original being best is the ur quattro
Geomac1962

Next

Return to General Chat