6x9's in rear shelf?

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

6x9's in rear shelf?

Postby ChrisGreen » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:15 pm

Hi there chaps and chapesses,
Was just wonderring if anyone could give me some advice on fitting some 6x9's on my rear deck.I have seen it done with 8"subs on an american miata called hakuna but was wondering if anyone has done it with 6x9's?If so does anyone have any pictures or a guide at all? Ta very much.
ChrisGreen

Postby Si » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:25 pm

Courtesy of Dave Scott I have installed in my car two 6x9 4-way 250w Pioneer speakers. They are mounted in the rear deck, in a similar position to the 8" subs installed by hakuna, and I have to say the difference, especially when motoring with the roof down, is superb! I'd highly recommend the hassle it takes to get them in.

I only have a few decent photos which I've included below.

Photo 1 :- the area to be worked on. You can see the metal parcel shelf (underneath the brace bar) that is to be removed. After folding back the carpet it's held down by several bolts. We also took the seats and centre console out to i) get better access and ii) to avoid damaging them.

Photo 2 :- shows the area with the carpet out of the way and the parcel shelf removed. The fuel tank can be seen in the middle, and to the right of it you can also see one of the 'tunnels' where you can install the speakers. There is a similar sized tunnel on the other side. Just above the wiring that's sitting in the tunnel you should be able to see a metal ridge. This is what the speakers are bolted on to (we had to drill some small holes) and it extends to the back of the tunnel and round through 90 degrees along the back of the tunnel.

Photo 3 :- Shows the speaker behind the drivers side installed and with the parcel shelf back in situ. It has to be cut (we used an angle grinder ... tin snips would do) to allow the sound to escape. You'll also have to cut the rubber soundproofing.

Not a difficult job as such, just a little time consuming. Well worth the effort, especially if you haven't got headrest speakers! (but these can deliver more bass ;))

Hope that helps,
Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby ChrisGreen » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:54 pm

Si, thats totally fantastic,thank you.That is immensly helpful.Have already ordered some better headrest speakers and some decent component speakers for the doors.I now have to try and decide whether to fit some really good 6x9's or two decent 8" subs.It's a tricky one.Fancy the good sound of the 6x9's but also fancy some impressive bass.Do you know anywhere else you can but 6x9's or a sub?Dont fancy footwell cos i often will have passengers.Dont want to take up too much of the boot cos it aint exactly big to start with!!Also i believe it is hard to port sound into the car itself.Was thinking i might be able to get a custom made sub box to fit between the seats,sitting on top of the armrest(i would have to relocate the fuel cap and boot lifts),but dont know if it would work.This would be ideal as i would def prefer to put 6x9's in like you have shown me.Think no matter what i will stick in 6x9's and hope inspiration will hit me on a sub location.What do you think?You obviously know what you are talking about.
ChrisGreen

Postby Si » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:32 pm

ChrisGreen wrote:You obviously know what you are talking about.

Hmm .... sorry, I've probably given out the wrong impression then :D I had a set of 6x9s left over from my old car when I traded it in and I just really wanted to make use of them.

As for bass, they do me. I don't want the extra weight of a sub so am quite happy to live without one. A guy called Alan (from Glasgow area .. and is registered as Alan on the UK mx5 oc site) had an enclosure made which held a sub between the seats above the console (as you described). However, his car was stolen and thought that maybe the high visibility of the sub contributed towards it. What can't be seen generally won't be stolen so I try to keep ICE out of sight.

If I were you, I'd stick in the 6x9s (powered by an amp) and then see what you think. Bass isn't everything ;)

Good luck,
Si
Si

Postby ChrisGreen » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:15 pm

Lol, you still know way more than i do!!
Once again ta for the advice.Gonna take it and stick in some 6x9's,its the quality of sound i want really rather than bass-who wants their motor to sound like a 17 year olds' nova?Ill get round to putting the speakers in, in the next week or two.Ill let you know how it goes.

Cheers Si, i owe you one
Chris[/quote]
ChrisGreen

Postby Si » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:17 pm

ChrisGreen wrote:Ill let you know how it goes.

Post up here ..... I'd be interested to hear what you think!

Good luck :)

Si
Si

Return to ICE and Music