amplifiers

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

amplifiers

Postby clarky » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:11 pm

Can I put a standard amplifier in my factory fitted stereo?
My car is a mark 2.5. The standard stereo/speakers are a bit dull
:?
always look on the bright side of life
clarky

Postby Si » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:42 pm

Did you ever get an answer to this?

I believe that most amps require RCA input ...... and I think it would be doubtful that the standard head unit has that. You may, however, be able to create your own connectors from the standard speaker wires, but you'd need to know a little about auto electricals to start doing that.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby clarky » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:33 pm

thanks si i ended up spending the money on fog lights they look cool :P
i am no good with the sparky side off things :oops:
mayby buy a new sterio later on :D
always look on the bright side of life
clarky

Postby mgrays » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:21 pm

You can buy input reducers to take the speaker output from the headunit.. reduce it's output.. and then increase it on a higher quality and/or higher volume amp. Did this at one time with stock head unit and better speakers which sounded a lot better than it should have (certainly better than a £150 Sony head units would have). Trouble is that Cr*p in Cr*p out so there is a risk that you will not make things better; need to balance the levels so you take the best quality from everything (ie at 80-100% volume most amps are distorting too much.. but if you took only 60% of volume setting of head unit and then increased it with another amp at only 60%.. you would get 120% volume but with better quality and not so much clipping etc). If doing this .. then make sure you buy OK second hand amps.. no point laying out money for new .. save it for the chrome you can see :lol: (I got both my original amps used from car stereo shops who had upgraded someone.)
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Return to ICE and Music