Some mighty fine roads I have experienced

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

Some mighty fine roads I have experienced

Postby Fuggzy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:39 am

With driving being 1 of my main passions since the day i first passed my car test, i thought i would put some input into this forum about good roads with excellent scenery that might not of been mentioned previously seeing as there isnt much tarmac in Scotland my wheels havent covered.

The Applecross pass is a 'must do' for anyone looking for some breathtaking views, but im sure its been previously recommended by other members.

The B797 from Abington services off the M74 to Sanquhar via Leadhills makes for an excellent outing with open straights and flowing twists and bends along the way, also has an excellent road surface for the most part, returning north via the B740 from Sanquhar makes a worthy trip all the more better.

Another personal favourite is the A708 from Moffat (just off the M74) to Selkirk, again, very quiet route with a decent road surface and spectacular views along the way. Once you reach Selkirk you can return along the slightly busier A72 heading westward all the way back to the M74 via Lanark or alternatively turn off the A72 after a few westbound miles on to the A701 to head back south to Moffat, another reasonably quiet and scenic route.

All in all, my favourite road in Scotland and in fact the U.K is the A832 travelling west from Dingwall to Gairloch and continuing north then north east until you meet with the A835 Ullapool - Dingwall road. With awe inspiring views, excellent climbs and desents, sections of long open road, winding single track sections and virtually no other traffic whatsoever. Probably best to make a holiday out it and visit Applecross and the Isle of Skye while there ;)
(last time i travelled this road though there were roadworks along the route opening up some single track sections) :(

Just a few of the best roads i've travelled in Scotland the last few years.

:)
Fuggzy

Return to Scottish Drives