Best of Scotland - Trip from Germany

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

Best of Scotland - Trip from Germany

Postby Sportive_FFM (Germany) » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:04 am

Hi Mazdamaniacs,

please allow me to introduce myself at first: I am a 33 year old MX-5 driver (04` Sportive titanium grey II) and live in Frankfurt am Main, Germany.

I intend to visit Scotland in August for a round trip and was wondering wether you could give me some tips with regard to the best places to visit, the must-sees, the most funniest roads to drive and the best way to get to Scotland from Germany.

I prefer to have a round trip and to see a lot of your wonderful country instead of spending to much time in the cities (nevertheless, I will spend 2-3 days in Edinburgh).

Thanks for your efforts,

Jens
Sportive_FFM (Germany)

Postby stratos_blue » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:01 pm

Jens , I would make this suggestion of a round trip : from Glasgow to Invergarry via Glencoe and Fort William (A82 ) from Invergarry to Kyle of Lochalsh ( A87 ) from there take the (A890 ) to Lochcarron and head out to Applecross via the Bealach na ba road. from Applecross take the coastal road all the way round to Shieldaig then on to Gairloch via Kinlochewe and Loch Maree ( stunning ) From Gairloch follow the (A832 ) till it meets the (A835 ) head North on this road to Ullapool( Good pubs and wondeful scenery ) . Follow the road north out of Ullapool and head for Ledmore Junction , turn south here onto the (A837 ) and follow this road till it meets the A9 at Bonar Bridge. Head south east from here to Tain . From Tain follow the A9 south to Inverness ( making a little detour into Cromarty to see the dolphins ) then continue south on the A9 to Carrbridge. From Carrbridge head east on the A938 to Grantown on Spey and from there head south on the A939 to Balmoral ( Balmoral Castle ) . From Balmoral follow the A93 to Spittal of Glenshee ( great scenery )then head west on the A924 to Pitlochry ( Queens view ) A trip a few miles North here to Blair Atholl( Blair Castle ) would be worthwhile . From Pitlochry head south( A9) to Stirling ( Stirling castle )via Perth . From Stirling head east to St Andrews (A91) and take the coastal road around the east Neuk ( Crail, Pitenweem , Anstruther , then on to Kirkcaldy)head across the Forth and on to Edinburgh. Lots to see and do on a trip like this along the way . You can see all of the places mentioned on this website : http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ I'm sure you'll get other suggestions too but hope this at least gives you an idea of whats possible . Have a great trip :)
There is only one satisfying way to boot a computer.
stratos_blue

Postby kevham » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:59 pm

stratos_blue wrote:Jens , I would make this suggestion of a round trip : from Glasgow to Invergarry via Glencoe and Fort William (A82 ) from Invergarry to Kyle of Lochalsh ( A87 ) from there take the (A890 ) to Lochcarron and head out to Applecross via the Bealach na ba road. from Applecross take the coastal road all the way round to Shieldaig then on to Gairloch via Kinlochewe and Loch Maree ( stunning ) From Gairloch follow the (A832 ) till it meets the (A835 ) head North on this road to Ullapool( Good pubs and wondeful scenery ) . Follow the road north out of Ullapool and head for Ledmore Junction , turn south here onto the (A837 ) and follow this road till it meets the A9 at Bonar Bridge. Head south east from here to Tain . From Tain follow the A9 south to Inverness ( making a little detour into Cromarty to see the dolphins ) then continue south on the A9 to Carrbridge. From Carrbridge head east on the A938 to Grantown on Spey and from there head south on the A939 to Balmoral ( Balmoral Castle ) . From Balmoral follow the A93 to Spittal of Glenshee ( great scenery )then head west on the A924 to Pitlochry ( Queens view ) A trip a few miles North here to Blair Atholl( Blair Castle ) would be worthwhile . From Pitlochry head south( A9) to Stirling ( Stirling castle )via Perth . From Stirling head east to St Andrews (A91) and take the coastal road around the east Neuk ( Crail, Pitenweem , Anstruther , then on to Kirkcaldy)head across the Forth and on to Edinburgh. Lots to see and do on a trip like this along the way . You can see all of the places mentioned on this website : http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ I'm sure you'll get other suggestions too but hope this at least gives you an idea of whats possible . Have a great trip :)

Good call. :D
We did almost exactly this route in May and it was fantastic. I'd maybe add in an excursion to Skye but apart from that, the route is spot on in my opinion.

Enjoy your trip, Jens
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby graeme » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:00 am

graeme

Postby BillB » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:34 pm

By the way, that lovely road between Achnasheen and Kinlochewe is in the throws of being upgraded (and almost finished). What used to be a single track with passing places road is now almost a full length, full two lane width road. The folks who took part in the first run evr to be planned by Linda and I will remember the idiot in the Peugot 405 with the "I brake for no-one " attitude on this road. Now the fun has gone out of it, no more guessing what is coming your way around the blind bend.

I know it was necessary to upgrade this road, just a pity it is being used more and more by those big white coloured things called caravans and campervans. You know the type of thing, self contained replica of home, with all the groceries bought in some place in Englandshire. They don't even have the courtesy to stay overnight in campsites, they park in the passing places. In other words, they don't contribute to the tourism economy of Scotland.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby BillB » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:37 pm

By the way, Jens, if you make it up to the (real) North of Scotland, please stop by our house. You will be most welcome.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby Sportive_FFM (Germany) » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:12 pm

Hey fellows,

thank you very much so far for your valuable information and the cordial information.

I'll let you know once the details of my trip are fixed and looking forward to receive further tips from you.

By the way, can you recommend a map of Scotland in order to make my trip easier? (As I'm not sure whether or not such map will be available in Germany, an online shop would be hepful, too...)

Best regards from sunny Frankfurt,

Jens
Sportive_FFM (Germany)

Postby stratos_blue » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:29 am

There is only one satisfying way to boot a computer.
stratos_blue

Postby Sportive_FFM (Germany) » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:19 am

stratos_blue wrote:http://www.mapsworldwide.com/maps_26944.htm Hope this helps .

Perfect, thanks a lot!
Sportive_FFM (Germany)

Return to Scottish Drives