Jim Clark Run pics

Discussion about events organised by the Central Scotland region.
[Please do not cross-post]

Jim Clark Run pics

Postby The Mailman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:08 pm

Posting pictures here instead of at the club site since its a bit easier and there is also a wee video. (Poor) video of the first group just outside Innerleithen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuzhnTk4PnI

Pics of group 2 passing

The parking lot at the lunch spot

Outside the Jim Clark Room

Lets do the funky chicken dance :P

Charterhall

Jim Clarke explaining how he went off the road earlier on

Still, Jim was a real Clark(e) and finished his lap of Charterhall well before the pack (ok, maybe he cheated just a bit :mrgreen: )

The state of the track was horrendous :(

Import in import... Dutch guy driving a '93 Eunos Roadster 1.6

The Mailman

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Great pics, Jasper. The video's fine - evidence that it was dry before lunch.
Thanks for posting.
Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:14 pm

On reflection, and looking at these photos and those posted on the events page, perhaps the sombre weather at Charterhall was quite appropriate.

It captures the atmosphere of a decaying circuit haunted by the ghosts of its past - the hotbed of Scottish motorsport in the '50s, the starting point of the careers of Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart. It hasn't been used for racing since the mid '60s and is rapidly being lost forever.

There have been numerous calls over the last few years for it to be saved and restored, but it seems unlikely that anyone will be able to make it happen.

At least we've been there and driven in the tyre tracks of legends like Clark, Stewart and Farina before they're consumed by nature.
Hawkeye

Postby Robin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:54 pm

A wee brace of BRG's
A thought provoking point you just mentioned David.
Gavin hopes to join the RAF soon, and although he understands well how things must wax & wane, he was not best pleased to see the old staff & storage huts in such decay. He & I are going back together to take a second look.
Robin

Postby Gavin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:40 pm

Robin, While you're there you should go and have a look at the Richard Hillary Memorial, quite moving.
2009 Convertible Coupe 2.0L Sport now that the 2005 LE and 2007 Z Sport Limited are dead.
Gavin
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby petrov » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:46 pm

who's is the 10ae?
petrov

Postby The Mailman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:09 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Great pics, Jasper. The video's fine - evidence that it was dry before lunch.
Thanks for posting.

I noticed you've been playing with Photoshop or some program with interesting results :wink:

The Mailman

Postby Robin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:58 pm

Gavin wrote:Robin, While you're there you should go and have a look at the Richard Hillary Memorial, quite moving.

Gavin, thanks for the information.
I think I spotted that at the junction leading into the airfield..may be wrong. Will make sure we stop next time. Some story, some man.
By coincidence, my late father's first experience in medicine was being based near Shrewsbury (RAF Cosford) where Hillary came from, his job being to fit artificial limbs to airmen, both RAF & Luftwaffe...many of whom chose to "crash land" to get away from Goering's hopeless missions.
Found a link.
http://www.gavinton.net/old/richard_hil ... morial.htm
Robin

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:15 pm

Yes Robin, we passed the memorial as we turned left off the main road - it's right on the corner.
Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:49 pm

Speaking of memorials, these are some photos of the memorial clock and Jim Clark's grave which the weather prevented us from visiting on Saturday. Photos taken on Recce 2 (or was it 3?). It was a quiet Saturday afternoon and the recent tributes from German and Italian fans added to the poignancy of the modest setting.

Memorial Clock
Plaque on the clock
The grave of a champion, flanked by that of his parents Helen and Jim who lived on for 12 and 13 years respectively after the death of their only son.
Still missed by motorsport fans the world over - fresh tributes from Germany..
..and Italy
Hawkeye

Postby DouglasH » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:01 pm

petrov wrote:who's is the 10ae?

Wondered how long it would take you :lol: , that belongs to one of our members from Melrose, has to be the nicest Anniversary model I have ever seen.
DouglasH

Postby Joe&Suzy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:44 pm

Excellent pictures Jasper, especially enjoyed watching the clip on youtube..looking good!! 8)

Not too sure about that last picture though!!.. :oops: :wink:
Joe&Suzy

Postby The Mailman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:19 pm

Amazing how he still gets visitors from abroad :shock:

Joe&Suzy wrote:Excellent pictures Jasper, especially enjoyed watching the clip on youtube..looking good!! 8)

Not too sure about that last picture though!!.. :oops: :wink:

Aw, i posted that especially for you :(

... i thought you wouldnt like it :lol:

The Mailman

Postby DouglasH » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:00 pm

DouglasH

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:21 pm

More great photos, Douglas. It was good to see Ron looking so well, too.

Woulfie, suits you sir.
Hawkeye

Postby kevham » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:00 am

Some great photos there.

James and I had a great time. He's still telling the story of the 'open roof' to everyone he meets!

I'm glad I hung around at Charterhall - I was planning on just heading off but David persuaded me to have a run round the track and it was very evocative and quite emotional.

Jim Clark started his 'hobby' by sprinting at Charterhall and went on to win 25 of his 73 Grand Prix starts - that's a phenomenal percentge - third only to Fangio and Schumacher of the great drivers.

But most telling to me was Clark's pole position rate - he qualified on pole on 33 occasions - second only to the great Fangio in percentage terms. Jimmy Clark still holds the record for the most 'Grand Slams' - that is leading the whole race from pole position, winning and scoring the fastest lap. He was the master of qualifying first and staying in front.

That is why fans from all over the world still come to Duns, Chirnside and Clark's birthplace at Kilmany in Fife to pay tribute to one of the greatest racing drivers ever.
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:20 am

Kevin - that's what we were hoping to achieve with this run - I remember how I felt the first time I visited the Jim Clark Room, the cemetery at Chirnside and Clark's farm at Edington Mains nearly 10 years ago. The more you find out about Clark, the more you realise how unique he was.

My parents were in Italy in 1966 and they became friendly with an Italian family. My dad was driving them in his then new Hillman Minx with 5-year old Fabio in the passenger seat, pretending to drive and shouting "Jim Clark! Jim Clark"

The statistics speak for themselves - but for engine failures in the final races, he could have won another two F1 world championships.

What is really unique is that no-one seems to have had a bad word to say about him, either as a driver or as a man. All the more sad, then, that despite the popular view of him as an easy-going, modest champion, in his personal life it seems he was haunted by his private anxieties about the dangers of motor racing and was only really ever at ease behind the wheel of a car.
Hawkeye

Postby liathach » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:08 am

I once saw Jim Clark competing. It was at the last Grand Prix held at Aintree in 1962. He competed in the saloon car race first, driving a Lotus Cortina and then took part in the GP in the afternoon. He won easily and the quality of his driving was something to behold. His driving line on each lap was inch perfect. He never seemed to put a wheel wrong. The Jim Clark Room in Duns is very moving with very informed custodians in attendance.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Return to Central Scotland