Trackdays for Beginners

.... for those that enjoy 'tracking' their car.

Trackdays for Beginners

Postby ben c » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:48 pm

I really want to take my MX-5 around a track so I can have fun with its great handling and learn a thing or two.

Snag is I've never done a trackday before and don't know much about racing lines, braking and cornering. :cry:

Just wondered if anyone knows if there’s any trackday with tuition?

The one and knockhill on the 18 Jul really interests me, but could I turn up as a total beginner without causing too much carnage?
ben c

Postby Richardn » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:31 pm

Come along. I will show you around the track.

Dreadnought track nights are very polite, and well behaved
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby kevham » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:15 pm

Knockhill do a performance driving course where you can take your own car - costs about £100.

Alternatively, try a trackday at an airfield like Elvington in Yorkshire - the only thing you are likely to hit is a cone and you can get tuition. Check out http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackdays/trackdays.html

Give it a go - it is great fun and can be very addictive! :mrgreen:

If you come to Knockhill on the 18th, I'll take you round if you like.
Cheers,
Kev
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby Mark S » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:50 pm

I too can offer my instruction on the 18th.
I would have offered you passenger laps on an earlier date but thats the next date for tracking in my callender

Also, make sure your car is up to it as track days are much harder on cars than thrashing it on the road.
make sure all waters, oils etc are at max and new enough to work.
ie engine oil at max, so it doesn't all slosh to one side in the corners, and therefore not get into the pump and starve your engine of oil at every corner
brake fluid, is it dot4? (I use dot5) and fresh, it goes off and on the track you will find your brake pedal will sink to the floor and there won't be much stopping going on if it's goosed, and make sure you have plenty of brake pads front and rear, and hopefully a decent make of fast road pads at least. and obviously the correct pressure in your tyres.
also, fill your tank with petrol, as fuel economy goes out the window :D
Make sure you have no loose items in the cockpit (hairspary stuck under your brake pedal can be badddd :D ) and nothing in the boot either, I just don't want to think of something hitting the battery :shock:
when you turn up you have to fill in a form to say all these have been checked

Speedtwelve has a good trackday guide, which is a good read too, perhaps he will be happy to have it posted here (I still have a copy :D )

Hope to see you there
Mark S
Mark S

Postby speedtwelve » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:14 pm

Mark S

You still have a copy of my trackday guide? Even I don't have a copy... Sure, matey, post it here! I can't even remember what I wrote....

The man speaks sense above. I did a trackday a few weeks ago in the Eunos. Fitted new EBC kevlar pads a few days beforehand and allowed them to bed-in. Did 150 miles on-track and the pads were destroyed, replaced them shortly afterwards. Make sure you've enough for the trackday, tyres included.

A well setup MX5 is an excellent trackday car out-of-the-box, and quite forgiving for the inexperienced. They don't understeer, and can be recovered from quite comical oversteer angles with some judicious opposite lock without the car snapping-back the other way, though I'd recommend keeping some throttle applied throughout your on-track sideways moments.

Knockers is a great circuit for those who haven't been. Very technical, loads of up and down off-camber corners. Mark S has been scaring the shi..., sorry, educating newbies on-track for a while. If anything, if you install him in your passenger seat you'll learn new ways to go through fuel and brake pads.
Honda S2000 AP1

Schrick/AMD-engined Corrado VR6

Eunos Roadster S-Spec now sold... (and about to explode in the hands of its new owner)
speedtwelve

Postby ben c » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:54 pm

Looking at the wallplanner, it's touch and go if I can make it to Knockhill. All depends at what time I finish work :cry:

Can anyone recommend accomodation around Knockhill?

I'm used to going thru lots of fuel, as any road around here that has a few bends on it, I tend to drive above 4000 rpm working the gearbox.
ben c

Postby Mark S » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:03 pm

Hi Ben C,

You still going on Friday?
As I may not have a car in time (and money :D )
So I don't mind doing Pax laps & instructing

Mark S
Mark S

Postby ben c » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 am

Sorry for taking ages to reply.

Looks like I wont be able to go :cry: Which is annoying as I would love to do a track day. When is the next one?

P.S. People I work with think that if you do a track day, you will automatically guaranteed to crash your car. How much truth is in this?
ben c

Postby JML » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:43 pm

ben c wrote:
P.S. People I work with think that if you do a track day, you will automatically guaranteed to crash your car. How much truth is in this?

I can't make this one either but as Richard said MX5 OC and Dreadnought trackdays are very well run and you can run at your own pace.
It's all about finding your ( and the car's) limits gradually.
I don't think we've had any major disasters, although I stand to be corrected............

It's much the same as on the road - if you drive like a tw@t then yes, you are pretty much guarranteed to crash at some point - if not then you'll be fine.

The Knockhill novice's tracknight which they run ocassionally is also a good way to get some track experience without any pressure.

Knockhill Hot Hatch (crasherama :lol: :shock: ) days were a bit of a different matter - not sure if they still run these. All sorts of cheap sheds which the owners didn't mind damaging - always a recipe for disaster.

(Anyone remember the tracknight a few years ago with the Focus? which had destroyed every panel on one side in tyre wall in the session before the MX5s ? Cue MX5 owners walking past - "bit o' t-cut and you'll be fine mate " :wink: )
Jim

'96 Merlot
Supercharged, chargecooled, Konis, Bipes, etc etc etc
JML
OC Member

Postby kevham » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:32 pm

there is obviously some degree of risk in taking part. So long as you drive within your limits and the organisers enforce the rules the risk is minimised. There will be some serious machinery there on friday and it can be a bit intimidating at times but as long as you are sensible should be fine.

kevham

Postby ben c » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:54 pm

As I am annoyingly working on friday. Does anyone know when the next Knockhill novice's tracknight is? Or when a next MX-5 track day is? I had a look on the Knockhill website and can't find a date. Thanks
ben c

Postby gm » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:22 pm

kevham wrote:There will be some serious machinery there on friday and it can be a bit intimidating at times but as long as you are sensible should be fine.

do you know what else is likely to be on the track ? i saw a couple of elises mentioned in another post.
gm

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:43 pm

I called Dreadnought on Monday to check numbers, just out of curiosity. Apparently there will be 30 cars in total - don't know the detail.

This will be my first track night and with a year old car and a 10% excess, on my track day insurance, I will be being careful! I suppose it's a matter of respecting your limits and maintaining your awareness of what's happening (probably very quickly) around you.
Hawkeye

Postby kevham » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:53 pm

There's a thread on PH. Looks like the Bruce Taxi Evos will be there and there's a Porker too. Last time I did a dreadnought night there were 2 GT3s - unfeasibly quick!!!! :shock:

kevham

Return to Motorsport