Faulty electric aerial

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Faulty electric aerial

Postby Green McQueen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:03 pm

I have seen some comments (and jokes) on the forum about electric aerials going up and down of their own accord. Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem is and the solution? I guess I am concerned about the motor being burned out and/or discharging the battery at the most inconvenient moment. I haven't managed to find a pattern for when mine takes a life of it's own
Green McQueen
OC Member

Postby Robin » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:39 am

Firstly,welcome to the Forum. :D
As it happens mine, on a 94 NA, refuses to retract fully sometimes, and sometimes "finishes" retracting on the move, then extends itself again.
My garage reckons it it the sensor mechanism within the unit.
No info regarding battery, but I've a fit & recent Westco installed.
I am just going to remove it...'tis a heavy & ugly thing anyway...and fit a thin wire job. Fine if you have a lock up & safe work parking though.
Robin

Re electric aerial

Postby Green McQueen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:47 am

Thanks Robin. I had bought a manual replacement but I haven't fitted it yet, for 2 reasons. The electric aerial looks difficult to remove and I don't like giving in just yet, in case there is an easy fix.
Green McQueen
OC Member

Postby Si » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:19 pm

Have you checked all the connections on the back of the headunit? If you think about what signals to the aerial that it should go up (or down) then it could be a loose connection there, or at the aerial.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby DouglasH » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi and welcome.

My previous car which was a Mk-2, did the exact same thing, although it tended to be the winter months, car not being used during the week and occasional use at weekends, I put it down to the Battery being low because... the following year and after I bought the Battery Conditioner which is left on all the time, I never had any more instances of the Aerial going up or down, does your radio come on when this happen, or is it only the Aerial that goes up, my radio went on too.
DouglasH

Re Faulty aerial

Postby Green McQueen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Thanks for the responses. I am so impressed at the speed of them. The radio does not come on when the aerial decides to do it's own thing, in fact sometimes the removable panel is not fitted at the time. I am not sure about the battery status issue, but it did happen after a long run without any lights on etc., so the battery should have been OK. I have not checked the connections at the back of the unit as I haven't been able to find an access point, but I will try again. A job for the weekend...
Green McQueen
OC Member

Postby poing » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:18 am

I think the best way to the back of the stereo without removing it is via the glovebox.
poing

Return to ICE and Music