Nothern Speed Championship - Kames 1 June

.... for those that enjoy 'tracking' their car.

Nothern Speed Championship - Kames 1 June

Postby kevham » Wed May 28, 2008 6:48 pm

I'm back at Kames this Sunday 1 June for my second outing in the TJ Services Northern Speed Championship.

I'm looking to pick up some much needed points as I missed the first two rounds due to the birth of wee Kirsty :D . This is the championship where I have most chance of getting an award so I'm taking it very seriously :twisted:

On Sunday, it's the usual clockwise layout and I'm up against a BMW 325, A Lotus Elise and the infamous MGF VVC. Both the MGF and the Elise gubbed me at Teesside but I have track knowledge of Kames which should help. I beat the Elise in October although he does seem to be much faster this year. There's also the chance that I might beat the 100secs barrier (although I was way off last weekend - see full report on my blog at racingfive.blogspot.com )

Anyway, there's not a huge entry list so I expect at least 5 runs (maybe 6 if weather is good). Practice starts at around 9am and it'll all be wrapped up by 4pm as usual.

If you're in the area, pop along, have a bacon roll and come over for a chat.
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby Hawkeye » Wed May 28, 2008 11:41 pm

Good luck this weekend, Kevin.

I won't be able make it out this time (still nursing the sunburn from last week anyway...). I overtook the Sunbeam Tiger on the way back to Strathaven, but he was just pootling along, probably trying to nurse bald tyres all the way home...
Hawkeye

Postby DouglasH » Thu May 29, 2008 12:44 pm

I will make this one, will bring the new Club Banner for its first outing.
DouglasH

Postby kevham » Sat May 31, 2008 5:58 pm

Weather looks good so i hope to get a good time.

kevham

kev

Postby Rob and Margaret » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:22 pm

Congratulations Kevin for setting the fastest time in your class, your rain dance worked well too with the showers arriving at just the right time.
Rob and Margaret

Postby DouglasH » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:35 pm

Yes indeed I echo Rob's congratulations to Kev, although I have to say it was the first time I have ever heard an Mx-5 owner (kind of) wishing for rain :lol: :twisted:
I still say that Aerial is slowing you down Kev, think you should either ditch it for the screw on type, or at least tie an Mx-5 Scotland flag to it :lol:

Our Man

Elise Competition

MGF Competition

Mx-5 on Track

Elise on Track

MGF on Track

Come on Dad

Wet Track

Last Run Over

Going...

Going...

Going...

Gone

Side Show

Website and Banner

New Banner and Frame
DouglasH

Postby kevham » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:07 pm

Thanks to Douglas and Rob for making the journey to a rather windswept (and later wet) Kames to support me.

My aim today was to get close to my 100secs best but alas, that was not to be. However, I also had the task of picking up points in the TJ Services Northern Speed Championship.

Last week saw me trash my trusty Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres so I had to get new tyres fitted during the week to stay legal. I plumped for Toyo T1-R in 195/50 15 as many other competitors use them and thay are cheap (£32 each). Time constraints meant I only managed to get them on the car on Friday.

I'd noticed clunks from both the front and the rear when I took the car for a spin after fitting the tyres so I spent much of Saturday trying to identify what it was. I narrowed down the front clunk to a loose ARB droplink but the rear seems to be the ARB moving about - more investigation needed. Anyway, I've had the tyres on and off about 4 times over the weekend. :?

I had a spririted run down to Kames this morning to try to get some heat in the tyres and to try to scrub off the greasy film that new tyres have. Weather was overcast but dry to start although the forecast was for rain. I reckoned that my best chance was to get a couple of fast runs in early on and hope for rain before the competition had 'learned' the track.

My first run did not go especially well. :roll: The tyres felt very vague and 'squirmy' - no real feeling of grip or any idea of what was happening - especially at the front end. I managed 105.9secs which was well off my standard first run times of around 104secs. I checked the tyre pressures and noticed that I had the front tyres on back to front (they are directional!) :oops: A quick change and all was sorted.

Next run wasn't much better though. The car felt a wee bit more responsive but still nowhere near as sharp as it felt in April. I managed 105.64secs. Someone suggested dropping the pressures so I backed them off to 26psi all round.

First proper run and the car was feeling a bit better. The tyres still felt a bit vague but there was definitely some grip there. I managed 104.00 seconds. My main competition, the Elise managed 104.14 and the faster of the two MGF drivers got was down to around 105secs. So I was in the lead for the moment but the Elise was getting into it now.

Second timed run and I tried a wee bit harder. It didn't really work though. I still couldn't get the confidence to really push on the fast paddock bend and as a result, I managed 104.12secs. I got back to the paddock in time to watch the Elise run. He was on a flyer and I was sure I was going to get beat but, luck was on my side as he outbraked himself at the hairpin and went off. The MGF driver had done 104.6secs so I was still in front.

Then my prayers were answered and the rain came on. The MGF tried to get out quick in the hope that he could get a fast run in before the track got wet but it was not to be. He managed 108secs before the rain really came on. Although I could have packed up there and then, I decided to go out and after a terrible start (I reckon I was at the startline, wheels spinning for 5 seconds), I posted 114secs. It didn't matter, I'd already achieved my very first class win and a full 25 points! :mrgreen:

So, a day of highs and lows. I need to find out why my car is so much slower than it was last year. Could it be the lack of the K&N Typhoon??? Could it be the suspension kit???? Could it be the fresh tyres (definitely a contributing factor)??? Could it be the knackered alignment????

Next event is at Barbon in Cumbria in 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll have sorted out the gremlins by then.............. :roll:

kevham

Postby Richardn » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:37 am

Kev, it could be the std airbox. As it contains so much volume it heats up a lot of air when standing so takes longer to get the air temp down. This would be more noticable on a short track
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby poing » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:26 pm

Can you drill holes in the MX5 airbox ?? I only ask because I know someone who used to race a well prepared Nova and he experimented on a rolling road and got his best power results from a standard airbox with holes drilled in it and an aftermarket panel filter.
poing

Return to Motorsport