Scottish Sprint Championship - Rounds 2 and 3 - East Fortune

.... for those that enjoy 'tracking' their car.

Scottish Sprint Championship - Rounds 2 and 3 - East Fortune

Postby kevham » Thu May 01, 2008 2:59 pm

This weekend sees me travelling down to East Fortune for rounds 2 and 3 of the Scottish Sprint Championship.

After last weekend's excitement (see the Forrestburn thread), I'll be hoping for a little less drama and a better result.

Having said that, I'm up against the Exige of current Scottish Sprint Champion and a V8 TR7 so it could well be another last in class finish.

My aim is to save my best time for last and since I've never been to East Fortune, I'll be setting my personal best come rain or shine! :D

Spectating is not being encouraged at this event although I know some folk who are going to make a visit to the Sunday market and try and sneak in anyway.

As ever, practice kicks off around 10am and I'll post a full report early next week.
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby Hawkeye » Sat May 03, 2008 9:00 am

Good luck, Kevin. The Lotus will be a challenge, but I'm sure you'll beat the TR :)
Hawkeye

Postby kevham » Sat May 03, 2008 7:03 pm

Well,
Round 2 is over and what a great day. Weather was fine and actually got quite warm in the afternoon. The track is really fast - much faster than any of the other sprint circuits and even faster than Knockhill. Top speed I reached was over 100mph!

I had a dose of the first run gremlins again - this time it was my power steering belt which came off half way round the first lap! :shock: I nursed ot home and posted 166secs.

After failing to fix it (the belt was twisted beyond use), I decided to carry on without it. Wow - the car feels so much more connected at high speed without PS but what a pig to park! Anyway, run 2 saw me post a high 162secs. I felt at this stage there was still a lot to go as I had fluffed a couple of corners. The TR7 was down to just under 160secs by this time and the Lotus was below 155secs.

First timed run and I managed 160.67secs - again, a couple of fluffed corners and some serious high speed understeer (not pleasant!). The Lotus was down to 152secs and had decided to call it a day.

Last run I did 160.80secs - not so good but I was playing with different gears to see what difference it made.

So, I was 8 secs of the class leader (who clearly wasn't trying that hard) but no so far from the TR7 V8. I had a good chat with the owner (Paul from Forres) and it weighs 950kg and has 290 bhp! That made me feel a wee bit better.

Tomorrow, I'm back on standard road tyres so I expect my times to be a couple of seconds slower (assuming it doesn't rain!).

If you are in the area and want to spectate, it seems that you can get into the spectators car park but you cannot cross the track to the paddock except at lunch or at the end of the day.

kevham

Postby kevham » Wed May 07, 2008 10:03 pm

Just a quick update on Sunday's event.

It was fairly wet in the morning but dried as the day progressed. I was back on my Goodyear Eagle F1s as I was travelling down to Teesside for a sprint the following day. It took me a while to adjust to the tyres and conditions and my early runs were well off Saturday's times.

As the day went on it became clear that I was heading for third in class (out of 4) as I was miles off the Exige and TR7. So I set my sights on beating my time from Saturday (160.67secs).

The car was really understeering on the fast corners and my first timed run was a disappointing 161.56secs. It looked like the tyre change had significantly slowed me down.

Final run came up and I managed 160.56secs - great, I had beat my best time from Saturday and on less grippy tyres. :lol:

Now for the bad news. The Exige managed 141secs :shock: :shock: :shock:

More power needed. MUCH more power.
Oh well. :roll:

Found this pic on the web:

kevham

Return to Motorsport