After Knockhill

.... for those that enjoy 'tracking' their car.

After Knockhill

Postby Si » Fri May 27, 2005 11:00 pm

Douglas - Thank you for organising this event.

Including the rain, that has to rank up there as one of my best visits to Knockhill. I'll be honest and say that for the last day or two I have been DREADING the event because of the weather forecast. However, after getting out on track and seeing how the car really handles in the crap weather I can honestly say I've learnt even more about how to drive it. Invaluable experience!!

The standard of driving was very high, and track equitete was fantastic, so thank you to all the other drivers for contributing to a great evening.

I didn't manage to get any photos, so if you've got some, please use the event image uploader to share yours ;)

http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/events.php?event_id=80

Again, thanks Douglas! Your hard work in making this happen is appreciated.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Miataman » Fri May 27, 2005 11:19 pm

Cheers Douglas!!!

A great time was had by all!!! It was good to finally say hello to some like minded individuals with a preference for all things topless :wink:
'94 Laguna Blue 1.8iS
Might even go on ANOTHER club run!!!
+++++Warning! The use of the word pliers in posts may offend+++++
Miataman

Postby smashed andy » Sat May 28, 2005 3:13 am

i didnt finish work till 8 :evil:

had a wee drive up to knockhill to see if anyone was still about to be faced with about 8 mx5's coming down! yes including you si!! 8)

didnt even get a wave or flash :roll: :D

andy
smashed andy

Postby Lazydonkey » Sat May 28, 2005 9:22 am

...and a big thanks to Douglas from me!

Top night overall ! Like you Si I was bricking it about the weather, thus meaning I was the annoying b*stard who was fast on the straights and driuving like your gran on the corners !!

Was getting better towards the end thanks to a few passenger laps in Jamies Exige showing what was possible.....its just amazing what a differnce place Knockhill is in the wet.

I thought the standard of driving was excellent, a credit to the club and miles better than the last Hot Marques day i was at.

.........its just a good job I didn't take my 5 to one of these meets as the sound and pace of the super / turbo charges could have led to some wallet empltying !

Thanks again to Douglas and it was nice meeting you guys !
-------------

'98 1.6 Mk2 in BRG (or Racing Green Mica) ......now sadly gone
'03 Vauxhall VX220 2.2 Europa Blue........arrived and fitting in well !
'04 Mini Diesel with big wheels!
Lazydonkey

Postby graeme » Sat May 28, 2005 9:51 am

"photos" (wary of the trade descriptions act ;-)) uploaded.
graeme

Postby lowflyer » Sat May 28, 2005 10:17 am

Excellent night - even in the wet, an experience my son will never forget

thanks for organising this event Douglas

When's the next one????

atb
john&jackson
lowflyer

Postby ziplockk » Sat May 28, 2005 11:10 am

Just like to give my thanks to one and all that organised and participated in last nights track event . . . some of the best driving standards I've seen on any track evening . . . you are all to be commended !

inevitable consequence of trying hard in a unforgiving car are a few wee spins, apologies to anybody who even saw the yellows . . . ;-) . . . but that's what the track is for ;-)

thanks again

Fd/Titanium Elise/175bhp/235bhp/ton

edited to say that if anybody is looking for similarly high standard track nights you should consider the following

SIDC : generally 4 hour sessions on weekends, see www.sidc.co.uk
Dreadnought TVR : have a series of 2 hour evening sessions, see http://www.dreadnought-tvr.co.uk/news_a ... port_id=26
Last edited by ziplockk on Sat May 28, 2005 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ziplockk

Postby Lazydonkey » Sat May 28, 2005 11:32 am

You can almost hear me in the drivers seat

'Cuse me - has anyone seen an apex ?

:oops:
-------------

Lazydonkey

Postby turbonuttermidlifecrisis » Sat May 28, 2005 12:13 pm

just another note to say thanks Douglas,

appologies to all I got in the way of - had the grunt on the straights
but neither the brakes - new pads :shock:
or the bottle to get deep into the corners - old age

first time on a track for my son Sam - "ace" he said 8)

220 miles there - 220 miles home - got back before midnight

and 78 miles going round and round :D

when's the next one

and how do you say that word is it dreak or dreechk - LOL
Neill
turbonuttermidlifecrisis

Postby Tom » Sat May 28, 2005 12:17 pm

I apologise for the shakey photos, but it was cold. :oops: Also have even dodgier(???) mpegs from a poor camera, at the hairpin. Can e-mail if anybodys interested.
Tom

Postby kevham » Sat May 28, 2005 12:26 pm

Thanks for all you hard work Douglas.
All the lads from West London Area really enjoyed it and I had a great time in the wet. The driving standard was excellent - everyone was very courteous and no red flag incidents!

For all those who saw and heard Lazza's red supercharged beast last night, pick up a copy of this month's EVO magazine - it's featured in there.

My wife had so much fun in the Caterham that she's trying to persuade me to buy one. I guess I'll have to lay off the burgers!!!!!!

I'll post the few pictures I got (I spent so much time out on track!) as soon as I've downsized them.

Cheers,
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby lochpark » Sat May 28, 2005 12:28 pm

Although not taking part on track, really enjoyed the "spectacle" the banter and especially enjoyed the passenger laps, cheers John :mrgreen:

Will upload some images late (I'm note calling mine photoes either) :oops:

I managed to get some dodgy mpegs and video as well at the hairpin, so if you PM me with an email address I send you some.

I believe Si is going to try and get some of them hosted somewhere, so if you let me know how that's going Si and I'll send them to you as well.

Cheers

Shaun
lochpark

Postby DouglasH » Sat May 28, 2005 9:43 pm

Thanks to everyone for making last night a success despite the awful weather conditions, was really pleased with the driving standards and courtesy shown...something we all should be proud of.
Quite a few have asked if I would organise another track night and to be honest, having a membership that prodominantly don't track their cars has made this event really difficult to organise in terms of getting the numbers to make it cost effective.

Special thanks to Martin (Vx220, aka Lazydonkey) for his help in attracting the Lotus members to our track night.

Good to see Kev & Jules with the West London posse, glad you all enjoyed your night.

To all the new Mx-5 faces we met last night, including the spectators, it was good to meet you, hope to see you again at future meets.

Lastly to the mad Yorkshireman that travelled 500 miles round trip, leaving the sunshine back home, well what can I say, true dedication from Neill and his son Sam.

So back to the question of another track night will we or not.............

YOU BET WE WILL
DouglasH

Postby Richardn » Sat May 28, 2005 10:17 pm

Count me in and Gavin says after August 5th (going away to europe) he is in also
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ziplockk » Sat May 28, 2005 10:43 pm

I'm sure some more Loti could be involved too, if you need the numbers to make life easier . . . ;-)

Just Ask

Fd
ziplockk

Postby kristoff » Sat May 28, 2005 11:11 pm

Great night!

Thanks to Douglas and all who helped organise the successful event.

A special thanks to Paul for taking Andrew on the track, much appreciated! He had a great time and one I'm sure he'll remember for a long time.

Chris
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Postby Lazydonkey » Sat May 28, 2005 11:40 pm

Jamie (Mr Exige) also asked me to pass on his thanks as he had a fantastic night and he echoed the "good driving" sentiments expressed already........definately something everyone should be proud of. He did ask if anyone had an MPEG of his beast as he's still yet to hear the loud zaust from the outside 8) ......send me an email if you do.

.....after last nights performance I'm sure you'll find the next one a bit easier to organise Douglas! Judging by the smiles on everyones faces I think they'll all be back !

Oh and thanks to everyone for the pictures - nice to have some more for my collection! :D
-------------

Lazydonkey

Postby PaulDS » Sun May 29, 2005 1:21 am

I said it before and I'll say it again,THANKS DOUGLAS.
Fabulous evening, thoroughly enjoyed it all. You done well mate.
Pleased to see how the old girl lifted her skirts and ran with the rest.
When I first drove the car 5 years ago, I was impressed with it's handling then, even with suspension problems, suspension long since improved, this gave me an opportunity to see how great a car the '5' is.
Will definately be looking forward to trying this out again, with greater confidence too!
Douglas, I have no doubt the next event will be better supported even by us from the north. I will certainly be preaching the gospel of Track Days.
I have some footage of the event, will try to share it.
Andrew, it was great to share the experience with you, your seat is booked next time if you want.
Best wishes to all of you who made this a great experience for me.
I loved the wet track, but will look forward to trying out a dry track!
Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Postby mike9jr » Sun May 29, 2005 10:31 am

I might be tempted myself next time.
Seems like a good way to see how the car behaves.

Us in the north might even try Edzell some time, especially when Mack gets his greddy back!!

Mike
mike9jr
OC Member

Postby ziplockk » Sun May 29, 2005 10:54 am

mike9jr wrote:Seems like a good way to see how the car behaves.

. . . it's the only way to find out how the car behaves . . . it's also the only way to really understand the drivers failings . . . which are usually the cause of most of the 'car' problems . . . it's a psycological thing . . .

Fd
ziplockk

Next

Return to Motorsport