Advice on island hopping with MX-5

Post here if you'd like to share your best Scottish roads or best Scottish places to visit.

Advice on island hopping with MX-5

Postby wychwoods » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:55 pm

This summer will be our first MX-5 tour of Scotland, running through Arran, Campbeltown and Islay. CalMac will provide the ferries.

Can anyone advise on possible problems of taking the MX-5 on small ferries and driving around the more remote parts of places like Islay?

One obvious hazard is visiting the Ardbeg distillery, but I intend to let my wife drive back from there.... :?

Thanks,
Frank
1998 Roadster Mk2 1.8 6sp VS-Special BRG
wychwoods

Postby DouglasH » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:29 am

No problems whatsoever, the Arran and Islay Ferries are some of the largest in the Cal-Mac fleet, the Lochranza to Claonaig Ferry will probably be the smallest you will use, again its not a problem. Not many roads in Jura but still worth a visit especially if you have the Hopscotch Ticket. Again to get value for money you could consider what I did a few years ago, when working in IslayI decided I would try and cut down the driving time back to Glasgow by using the Tarbert to Portavadie Ferry, then driving the scenic route to Dunoon where I would pick up the Dunoon to Gourock Ferry, when leaving Islay at Port Ellen I had a word with one of the Cal Mac staff who let me board last, so that I could be first off, that way I could get to the Ferry at Tarbert in time, managed it ok but would be more relaxed if you were staying over at Tarbert or Dunoon.

Roads in Islay are perfect for the 5 even the B roads.
DouglasH

Postby wychwoods » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:35 am

Douglas,
Great advice - thanks very much.

Last time we visited Islay, we drove back past Loch Lomond. This time the plan is to use the route you suggest: Tarbert/Portavadie and Dunoon/Gurrock - it is much shorter or quicker, plus the winding route looks like it is a great drive for the Mazda.

As a general point, I think the remote roads in Scotland are streets better condition (if you pardon the pun) comapred with those around London. Our pot-holes have to be seen to be believed.

-Frank
1998 Roadster Mk2 1.8 6sp VS-Special BRG
wychwoods

Postby Richardn » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:08 am

wychwoods wrote:
As a general point, I think the remote roads in Scotland are streets better condition (if you pardon the pun) comapred with those around London. Our pot-holes have to be seen to be believed.

-Frank

Damn the secret's getting out!!!! :)

Repeat after me "The roads are terrible, it rains all the time, and the the midges will eat you alive"
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Malc » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:00 am

Richardn wrote:
Damn the secret's getting out!!!! :)

Repeat after me "The roads are terrible, it rains all the time, and the the midges will eat you alive"

.....and the natives aren't friendly. :evil:
Malc

Postby Robin » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:03 pm

Frank
Ignore the last two. Provided you learn to play the pipes, recite Tam'o Shanter by heart, and offer the Border Guards a bottle of finest Malt, you should be absolutely safe! :D
Robin

Return to Scottish Drives