Vinyl to MP3

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Vinyl to MP3

Postby Alex » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:16 pm

Anyone interested in converting their old albums to MP3?

I know this can be done with the hi-fi wired up to a computer, I've been doing some that way, but it's a pain.

I've seen a deck which includes the software 'built in' to convert to MP3 without a computer - just load an album and write it straight to your MP3 Player or memory stick.

Anyone interested in a sharing system?

The deck I've seen costs £79 (Victor Morris in Glasgow), so if 4 people were interested that'd be less than £20 each, and we'd each have it for 3 months in the year, 5 people makes it £16 and about 2 1/2 months, 6 makes it £13 and 2 months. Obviously we could arrange it to be month about or whatever.....I'm sure we could work something out!

Anyone interested let me know.......

Just for the record (Ha!Ha!) a USB deck to use with a computer comes in at about £99 upwards, if you think this would be a better option also note your interest - you never know, if we get enough interest we could get one of each!!

Just seemed a good idea to share it - after all once your MP3's are written, you won't need the deck any more.

ALEX.
Alex

Postby Robin » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:30 pm

Alex...if I follow the logic here you could USB the MP3 onto the PC then burn onto a CD?
I assume though the MP3 would be compressed though...but better than nowt.
All my music on the PC is burned "Lossless"..and one album is around 40MB.
If I am correct, count me in please.
Robin

Postby DouglasH » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:53 pm

Might be interested, its just getting the time that's the problem, dare say if I only had 3 months to do it in I just might manage to record one album on the last day. :lol:

As it happens just got this mail:- Aldi 4 GB Memory Stick £12.99 from Thursday 13th March.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_5290.htm
DouglasH

Postby Detritus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:57 pm

I have one of the USB decks.

It does the job ok. 8)

Only complaint I have is that I can't figure out how to listen to the album while it's recording. :oops:
Detritus

Postby Alex » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:58 pm

I convert my CD's to MP3 at 128 bits, and I think this is just about cd quality....a typical album comes in at about 40 - 45mb.

On the deck idea, yes, the MP3 or memory stick can then be used to transfer files to a computer for writing onto CD, although if that is the plan for you, the USB deck might be better because it'll load the MP3 files straight onto your PC.

I sound like I know about this, but I don't, I just got my MP3 at Christmas, and got stuck in with the CD's.....but I keep seeing that row of old albums that I haven't listened to for years.......

Watch this space, and we'll see who else is interested!!
Alex

Postby don.b » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:07 am

DouglasH wrote:As it happens just got this mail:- Aldi 4 GB Memory Stick £12.99 from Thursday 13th March.

Douglas, I'm shocked that you get emails from Aldi, I thought you'd be a Tesco man :lol: :lol:

Don.

"Awaits the comeback"
"My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic."

email: mx-5@blueyonder.co.uk
don.b

Postby DouglasH » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:06 am

don.b wrote:
DouglasH wrote:As it happens just got this mail:- Aldi 4 GB Memory Stick £12.99 from Thursday 13th March.

Douglas, I'm shocked that you get emails from Aldi, I thought you'd be a Tesco man :lol: :lol:

Don.

"Awaits the comeback"

:lol: Don't knock Aldi, great for techno stuff and tools.
DouglasH

Postby Richardn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:05 am

I have one of these decks, the problem is you need to sit and play the whole album, or it loads one side of the album as one track. Very time consuming
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Si » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:43 pm

You could just use software to split the MP3 in to the required tracks! There are free utilities out there that allow you to do this .........

If I were looking to preserve records I'd want to burn them directly to CD without the loss in quality from converting to MP3. If you're just looking to have an easy means of playing music via a computer (or media player) then you're on the right tracks :)

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:43 pm

You'll be needing an Audiolink from MX-5 Parts, Alex. £68, a doddle to fit and works perfectly. You just plug in an MP3 player or a USB stick with up to 6 folders each containing up to 99 tracks and you can control it from the steering wheel. As soon as I saw Kevin's I knew I had to have one.
Hawkeye

Postby Enjay » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:15 am

I too have one of those decks. Got it from Maplins. Chances are that the "built in software" is a copy of "Audacity" which is free open source software that anyone can download anyway.

It certainly does the job and I've been quite happy with the results but, as others have said, it is time consuming. You have to play the album - it's not like ripping a CD. You can play it on 45 and use the software to slow it down but who wants to listen to a 33 album on 45? Also, vinyl is prone to doing things like jumping or popping so it's worth listening to to make sure you catch anything like that. Once you have the files, you may also want to do a bit of "post production" too to minimise clicks and pops or just cut the tracks to the proper length. Then you have to save the files with suitable names. Not a big issue, but it all adds up.

So yeah, it does it but it's not a quick process. Think of it less like ripping a CD and more like taping an album like you used to do in the good old days, then having to do a little bit after that to get the "tape" just how you want it.
Enjay

Postby Detritus » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:49 am

Mine came from Maplins and had the audacity software.

As you say it does the job but it's a slow process.

The files take up alot of space as well.
Detritus

Return to ICE and Music