RC Mini Fives Racing

Discussion about events organised by the Central Scotland region.
[Please do not cross-post]

RC Mini Fives Racing

Postby DouglasH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:44 pm

Didn't want to post this up before the North section Co-ords had the chance to inform their members, which they both have today.

This is a mail we received from Bill of Peaks and Pennines Area, some will know about this already if their following the thread on the National Forum.

Hi All,

I'd like to gauge potentiel interest of people regarding a "racing
project" But first, I'd like to give a little background...

Last summer, we (members of Peaks and Pennines) were thinking about
doing our own racing MX5. something similar to the merlot project.
Unfortunately and despite the member enthusiasm, we came across a few
issues (find a car, a space to keep it, insurance etc...) and the
project didn't go forwards...

Anyway, today, talking about it with another member, we came up with
something that would more affordable, less time consuming etc... A
proper amateur car racing project... and we even thought we could
call this "Mini Merlot Project"

Basically Bill is talking about a national competition for Radio Controlled Cars based on one of the Tamiya Mx-5 Models. Competition heats would be held throughout the year, ending in a final at the National Rally.

Link to National Forum members section.
http://www.mx5ocforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=58404
Last edited by DouglasH on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DouglasH

Postby chunkymonkey71 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:56 pm

thats a pretty kool idea!

I recently built a Tamiya "Vanessa's Lunchbox." I wanted one as a kid and since I'm still a kid decided to treat myself! Its great fun, fast and totally customisable. (much like the mx-5). I'd recommend building one to anyone!

And racing them would be a great laugh!

:D

One downside to the MX-5 though, it wouldn't pull as good wheelies as the lunchbox!!!

:lol:
chunkymonkey71

Postby graeme » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:26 pm

I think this looks great fun. If you need anyone to drive it onto the grass at the first corner... :lol: :lol: :lol:
graeme

Postby IanH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:28 pm

There is a club and track up here (http://www.sdrcc.co.uk/) which may be of some use if there was interest in this area.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby frank boyle » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:45 pm

I have a RC subaru impreza model in my garage somewhere.

Dont let any body fool you into thinking these are easy. its not.

It is however good fun.
frank boyle

Postby Enjay » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:57 pm

IanH wrote:There is a club and track up here (http://www.sdrcc.co.uk/) which may be of some use if there was interest in this area.

Wow! are they still going? I thought they'd packed up and gone home years ago. I'm sure a friend of mine was a regular there when I was at school. And that wasn't yesterday.
Enjay

Postby DouglasH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:58 pm

Frank... and anyone else who has had experience with RC Clubs, I would appreciate your opinions on this event, the only time I have been to one of these RC Club Events was in Newton Stewart, (apart from photographing the Cumbernauld Model Aircraft Club, near Palacerigg) many years ago, the local Newton Stewart Club were running a demonstration, it was held in the the High School Tennis courts, ie the cars raced round the Tennis Court within the confines of the wire fencing, the public were outside the fenced area, then when the model Helicopters were displayed the public went inside the Tennis Court, for obvious safety reasons.

I and the other Scotcords have already discussed this event and I think we all feel the same way, we have reservations about the logistics, ie finding a suitable surface to run on, etc.
Personally I feel that the safety aspects have not quite been taken into consideration by the Club on a National level... yet, however if this was to be finally looked at without the rose coloured spectacles and the events were to go ahead, if anyone from Central would be interested enough to take it on then I certainly would give them full support, it would also mean a commitment to attending the National Rally in September.

Let the discussion begin...
Last edited by DouglasH on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DouglasH

Postby don.b » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:16 pm

Douglas,

I'd be up for that, I did a lot of R/C car racing back in the late 80's and early 90's. (Also won a lot of events !)

We ran 1/12 Tamiya Formula 1, and 1/10 scale Electric Buggies with Saloon Car Bodies on them. (Still got my Kyosho Lazer) !

The racing was held at Stonehaven, Crieff (track closed I believe) and Cluny in Fife. In the winter it was in a school gym in Auchenairn in Bishopbriggs.

Can't think why you'd be worried by safety aspects as although the cars are pretty fast they are not too heavy. In all the years I did it I don't remember anyone or thing being hurt or damaged by them.

Don.
"My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic."

email: mx-5@blueyonder.co.uk
don.b

Postby Michelle T » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:21 am

great idea i raced radio controled cars for about 10 years mostly electric pro10 but did race in the british offroad for a few years before that.

We had a meetings at crief one week then stonehaven the next if we were not down england racing
i still have a parma pro10 and lots of motors and stuff

there was a few broken ankles at stonhaven but this is with the 1/8 scale ic cars doing 80mph down the straight

the guy that owns the crief track may have past away i remember he was very old also a former ecurrie eccosse driver sorry can't spell i can't remember his name unfortunatly
Michelle T

Postby Richardn » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:41 am

There only the electric ones so no real safety aspect.

I know someone with a decent pub carpak we could use
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby lowflyer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:57 pm

We have a Hobao Hyper 10 Nitro Touring Car(obviously no use for this event), did some racing at Banarty Fife, which is a wonderful outdoor circuit

a very costly exercise - but great fun - sometimes used the local Aldi store car park for testing
lowflyer

Postby Vidalsasoon » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:42 pm

Ive one of them hobao hyper 10 things too very good cars but they do cost a fortune to run regularly... anyone any idea of the cost of the electric ones?
Vidalsasoon

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:48 pm

:offtopic2: This has inspired me to dig out my old Tamiya Rough Rider (circa 1982). Happy days!
Hawkeye

Postby don.b » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:41 pm

Hawkeye wrote::offtopic2: This has inspired me to dig out my old Tamiya Rough Rider (circa 1982). Happy days!

David,

I sold mine on ebay a couple of years ago, got around twice what it cost new in 1982.

Don
"My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic."

email: mx-5@blueyonder.co.uk
don.b

Postby lochpark » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:48 pm

I have two of the Tamiya Kits, one built for playing with and one boxed, remember before anyone starts going down this route that

1. The kit is discontinued, thergore unless like me you buy a spare, you could be stuffed on your first outing.
2. The kit doe not generally come with a speed controller
3. The kit does not come with radio gear and unless you have it lying about.
4. Supply of spare crystal sets.
5. Despite all your best efforts, it will not be a level playing field, there is plent of talk on the National, re one motor spec etc, I can show you two motors that look identical, till you run the car.
6. Rapid chargers and the like, spare battery sets etc will drive the cost of this way beyond the £170 suggested so far. Turning up with one car, one spare battery isn't an option. Anyone living near Kilmarnock, go along to the Grant Hall on a Monday night and yopu'll see what I mean.

Not all cars are the same, built the same or run the same, extreme example, and before anyone points it out even a deaf blind man would know that the difference here

The car at the bottom is a 1/10 scale custom built MX5 with a nitro motor and two speed gear box that is good for about 60MPH+, also in the picture the unbuilt Tamiya kit, one MK1 and two MK2 bodyshells.

It started life as an HPI RS4-3 18SS Kit, the chassis was custom shortened to allow for the shorter wheelbase of the Miata bodyshell from the States. All alloy hubs and suspesion arms, titanium adjustable turnbuckles, adjustable alloy shocks. All of this can be achived with the electric version of the same kit.

I would suggest that anyone thinking of buying the Tamiya kit, do it for fun not to take part in something like this. If you want race, by all means visit you local club, however, as Douglas has already pointed out will be a logistical nightmare

These kits are become collectors pieces and realistically unless one person was to sit down and create a difinitive spec for the class that everyone followed and was easily policed, this like most things will become another waste of time. I have everything I need here, right now to enter or create a team but I won't
lochpark

Postby L111CHT » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:53 pm

erm, who needs a toy car when you got a real one sitting outside? :?
L111CHT

Postby Michelle T » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:32 pm

they are not cheap it used to cost me well it used to cost me and my dad about 2-3 grand a year but we were constantly racing and buying new stuff a battery pack was about £50 and same for the electric motor also probably bought 2 body shells a year 2 motors 5 battery packs and countless tyres and so on
Michelle T

Return to Central Scotland