Mk2 Electric Aerial question

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Mk2 Electric Aerial question

Postby Reg Molehusband » Mon May 02, 2005 11:30 am

Hello all,
The electric aerial on our Mk2 stopped working - stuck fully down and making a loud clicking noise! On removing and disassembling, it is found that the long nylon toothed tracking is not attached to the telescopic mast section unit.

My questions are:
Does anybody know if the nylon track should be attached to the telescopic mast section? If so, how is it attached and is it possible to reattach?
Does a new mast (which I see advertised) come with the track attached?

Not sure why the unit failed because the telescopic sections are not damaged in any way and slide easily - they have been kept well greased. The motor and gearing also seem to be fine.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reg
Reg Molehusband

Postby lochpark » Mon May 02, 2005 9:44 pm

The nylon drive breaks and that puts paid to the aerial, yes the new one will come with the drive attached.

I sent for one from Mx5parts http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id/488

Instructions for the repair can be found here http://www.miata.net/garage/power_antenna_repair.html

Cheers

Shaun
lochpark

Postby Reg Molehusband » Tue May 03, 2005 8:42 am

Thanks for the swift reply Shaun.
Just the information I was needing - the Power Antenna Repair instructions look very useful too.

Regards,
Reg
Reg Molehusband

Postby lochpark » Tue May 03, 2005 10:50 am

Reg,

Make sure that you get all the broken drive out as it won't work properly if you don't.

Feeding the new drive in was a bit of a pain but perceverance paid off in the end.

Cheers

Shaun
lochpark

Postby Reg Molehusband » Tue May 03, 2005 2:01 pm

Thanks again Shaun,

I took the motor unit to bits to check everything and there was just a single break in the plastic drive right up inside the aerial sections, probably at the fixing point. I hadn't thought of feeding in the drive under the motor power as per the instructions - a neat way of doing it!

Regards, Reg
Reg Molehusband

Return to ICE and Music