European Tour 2009

Discussion about events organised by the Central Scotland region.
[Please do not cross-post]

European Tour 2009

Postby DouglasH » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:13 pm

As suggested by Ian & Jacqueline at the Planning Meeting 20/01/2008.

Summer 2009 European Tour for 5 to 6 cars over 2 weeks. This would be a fairly expensive trip and would take a fair bit of planning but it would be good to gauge the interest first and hopefully make it happen in 2009.

Possible Route taking in:

Rosyth to Zeebruge or Newcastle to Ijmuiden - Holland
Prague - Czech Republic
Ceske Budejovice - Czech Republic
Saint Wolfgang - Austria
Merano - Italy
Stelvio Pass - Italy
Dijon - France
Nurburghring - Germany
Zeebruge to Rosyth or Ijmuiden to Newcastle

Distance 2100 miles on the continent.

Ian Ness.

Thanks Ian, anyone interested...
DouglasH

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:35 pm

Ohhhh, sounds fantastic. Stelvio pass, Nurburgring...

Unfortunately we'll need to wait until Hannah's a bit older. Put us down for the 2022 tour!
Hawkeye

Postby lowflyer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:37 pm

yes - but my holidays are by rota so would need to know more info on possible dates
lowflyer

Postby kevham » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:40 pm

Sounds like a great trip - did something very similar in the 5 in 2004. Not for me now until the kids grow up. So we'll be down for the 2026 tour!

1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby Ronnie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:49 pm

Crackin piccy Kev....love it and the trip sounds really great too
2010 Mk3.5 20 AE
Pearlescent White Mica
"Beryl the Pearl"
OC 14725 (lapsed)
Ronnie

Postby The Pram » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:24 am

Love the sound of that but not in 2009. Have another big holiday planned but maybe another year. Best of luck anyway.
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby JML » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:10 pm

I'm in !

:D :D

Sorry I missed the planning meeting guys, as I'm away for work again ( it's -20C here so not exactly MX5 weather)

Ian - not sure if you will be there but I should (hopefully) make the next pub meet or you can PM me, but bear with me as I won't be home until Thu31st. Will have occasional email access.
Jim

'96 Merlot
Supercharged, chargecooled, Konis, Bipes, etc etc etc
JML
OC Member

Postby Gavin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:27 pm

As discussed at the planning meeting I'm up for this. :D :D
2009 Convertible Coupe 2.0L Sport now that the 2005 LE and 2007 Z Sport Limited are dead.
Gavin
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby frank boyle » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:20 pm

I didnt make the planning meet for loads of boring reasons, however seperatley I did talk to Douglas about a big adventure into europe.

I drive to europe every year (almost) and its fantastic, the roads are generally quieter, and if you get off the beaten track, its superb driving.

I like the sound of the route proposed, and would further suggest a visit to the Sinseheim technology museum, (I posted a bunch of photos here last summer) it has the most amazing collection of cars you have ever seen.

The ferry crossings are all pretty good, but vary in price dramatically, the Rosyth ferry is a terrific service, but its hideously expensive. The last time I was on it, there were a bunch of 2CV drivers having a big adventure into Scotland. The Hull ferries are about half the price, also a good service, but you have to drive the 4 hours or so to Hull. Cross channel ferries are the cheapest, but they are hunners of miles away.

So, I am dead keen on taking part, subject to confirmation from the Long Haired one, I'm in too.
frank boyle

Postby mgrays » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:27 pm

Hard work to do that within 2 weeks.. it always takes near 2-3 days just getting in/out of Scotland and UK :cry:

Done something similar 3 times ... but only got as far as Florence in Italy .. but I guess I went back to the Alps both times for an extra day of driving :wink:

Avoid August. I have done beginning of Sept but most of France starts locking up by then! .. last time in July just the pair in a car we poshed out with hotels instead of a tent .. we only had one place at foothills of Italy that we had to ask in 3 places for a bed .. the rest we just walked in and they were very glad for the trade .. some fantastic food too, 5-6 cars makes that less likely :cry:

Anyway doing a bit of this via Le Man Classic in July 12/13 .. but that bit of France is boring!
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby Conebolt » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:43 pm

Sorry I missed the planning meeting couldn't get time off work, hope to catch up with you during the coming months.

Looks like a fine trip. I'd be very interested.
I've been to some of the proposed places on my motorbike in the past 5 years and I reckon 2 wks is min for this. My experience has been that there is always the temptation to get side tracked, on my last trip to Austria in the bar one night someone said " Lets do the Stelvio" (120kms away) and that turned into a 3 day side trip to Modena(Ducati Factory) and Lake Garda! Now I leave aim a few days slack for the whimsical side trips cos there's always something interesting to see.

As for getting out of UK I've always prefered Dover.......I'd rather be driving than sitting on a ferry and try and vary the route down through England using A roads, but that's a personal choice.
Conebolt

Postby IanN » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:01 pm

Jacqueline and I have been thinking about another MX-5 European trip for a long time and the planning meeting was a great opportunity to open this up to other club members. Well we never expected our idea to be so well received, by the end of the meeting we were approached by quite a few members who wanted to go. We now have our 6 cars for the trip and at this stage do not intend to increase this as we believe it is the ideal number of cars and people. Many thanks to all who have shown an interest in coming along and for the very helpful comments on trip planning. Now the hard work begins for our little group planning the trip, thank heavens for Google.
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:43 pm

Ian, I applaud your doing this. Bravo. I also have to say that quite a few members of the forum declared an interest at the planning meeting by turning up. I would hope that numbers will be taken into account by those who approached you after the meeting and havent been able to post since then. Those members of the forum who are not members of the MX5 OC site will only be considered sans members requests. We are trying to make this a managable group.

Hope this doesn't raise too many hackles.

It's our area we're trying to look after.

Gavin
2009 Convertible Coupe 2.0L Sport now that the 2005 LE and 2007 Z Sport Limited are dead.
Gavin
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Central Scotland