New MX5 Owner

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

New MX5 Owner

Postby jimafblack » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:31 am

New to MX-5s and this forum. Just bought a 2002 Phoenix with 19k on the clock.

Unfortunately when I looked at the car I didn't pay too much attention to the tyres beyond checking the tread. At the weekend I felt the backend go and when I stopped I found a nice flat tyre. On closer inspection I found that this and the other tyres had cracks running parallel with the treads. :oops:

It's probably down to age of the tyres though I'm no expert for sure!

I thought I would get the winter out of the tyres as the treads were legal and wanted to get the alloys refurbed at the same time. So this is now a bit of a dilemma!

I suspect the tyres are unsafe and will require immediate replacement but seems daft to refurb the wheels at the start of the winter. But of course it's an ideal time to refurb the wheels from a convenience point of view.

And of course there's the small fact of finding the money after forking out for the car and not yet shifting my Clio.....

If anyone has a set of 15" wheels and tyres they are looking to shift then maybe they could give me a shout. Not too bothered about how the wheels look as long as the tyres are legal

rgds

JB[/img]
jimafblack

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:37 am

Welcome to MX-5 land - I'm sure you'll the car as much as we all do.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that no matter how good a tyre's tread looks, if it's over 5 years old it should be replaced. It sounds like your tyres are the originals and are just suffering from old age.

Can't help you with wheels & tyres I'm afraid, but once you have a decent set of boots on, you'll be able to enjoy the 5 to its full potential - it's worth investing in good 'uns.
Hawkeye

Postby DouglasH » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:04 am

Hi Jim and welcome :D . Try a wee post on the wanted section.
DouglasH

Postby jimafblack » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:58 am

Is that me or the car Hawkeye?

Any recommendations on tyres and suppliers? One of the guys at work said online was best for price.

I saw an old thread re refurbing. Just wondered if anyone had done this recently and what I should expect to pay (the coating on the wheel is lifting quite badly but no kerbing).

My next question on the forum will be about paintwork work - but one challenge at a time?

Jim

ps how do i post a pic of the car?
jimafblack

Postby DouglasH » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:14 am

Jim...it would help others to advise you, if you were to include your location on your profile.

Expect to pay £25-£30 per wheel refurb.

Cheaper on line for Tyres, Toyo Proxes T1s or Goodyear Gsd3 are the main Tyres Owners are buying, although Goodyears are still not available just now as production has stopped.

Host your pics on photo hosting site such as photobucket, then copy links and post into forum topic as you write, check before submitting by clicking preview button.
DouglasH

Postby frank boyle » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:31 am

Hello and welcome.

Yes agree with above, sounds like your tyres arte tired.

There are 2 great web sites for buying tyres, black circles.com and mytyres. com. Both will comfortably undercut the multiples, and can arrange fitting.

Enjoy the car!
frank boyle

Postby frank boyle » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:33 am

PS have a look at the for sale section, Gills was looking to shift a set of wheels and tyres.
frank boyle

Postby Richardn » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:40 am

Welcome

A set of old wheels YES

A set of old Tyres NO

The 5 is very sensitive to tyre quality, go ahead with a random set of s/h tyres over winter and you may pay more for bodywork repairs than you saved on 4 tyres. It really is a false economy
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby woulfgar » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:30 pm

at the mot center in east kilbride they did me £40 per wheel for a p6000 and that was everithing
woulfgar

Postby IanN » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:41 pm

Fitted P6000's to the back of my car and found they broke away in the rain causing some interesting cornering, changed them to Toyo Proxes T1R's and returned to great road holding wet and dry.
Hillfoots Tyre Centre in Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire are Toyo dealers £107.72 for 2 tyres fully fitted and balanced in Fefruary 07.
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby jimafblack » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:15 am

So looks like I need to budget around 300 - 350 to do the whole works....bummer. Serves me right for not paying attention.

Will check prices on tyres, thx for the hints on sites to try as well as retailers.

Ok any recommendations on wheel refurbers in the Falkirk area? Google threw up a company called Williams - anyone tried them?

Jim
New MX-5 Driver - 2002 1.6 Phoenix
jimafblack

Postby Robin » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:28 am

jimafblack wrote:So looks like I need to budget around 300 - 350 to do the whole works....bummer. Serves me right for not paying attention.

Will check prices on tyres, thx for the hints on sites to try as well as retailers.

Ok any recommendations on wheel refurbers in the Falkirk area? Google threw up a company called Williams - anyone tried them?

Jim

With that kind of cash, perhaps if a trip to Skidz in Grahams Road for a complete reboot..alloys and rubber...might be in order. Take a look at Noran's metallic burgundy Icon in the members' section photos...that's what they did.
I have an Auto too incidentally.
Robin

Postby Si » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:40 am

Arctic Blue wrote:Fitted P6000's to the back of my car and found they broke away in the rain causing some interesting cornering

Conversely, I had a great experience with the P6000's and found them to be very predictable. I was hearing so many positive reports about the Toyos that I thought I had to try them at least once, but it was with some trepidation that I switched to them given my familiarity with the Pirellis (glad I did though as they're cheaper :D)

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby jimafblack » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:33 am

Here's a picture of the car:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51522776@N00/2072566808/

I've now changed the wheels which has changed the look of the car. Glad to see the back of the flaking mazda alloys.

After being at the Tech Day on Sunday I now know I have a lot of polishing ahead of me.

Jim
jimafblack

Postby The Mailman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:41 am

Looks nice, decent wheels too. But why are all the pics stamped autotrader?
Import in import... Dutch guy driving a '93 Eunos Roadster 1.6

The Mailman

Postby jimafblack » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:58 pm

These were downloaded from the autotrader site before I bought the car. Will post new pics with the wheels when I get the chance.

Jim
jimafblack

Return to New Users