18th July - GREAT RUN !

Discussion about events organised by the three North of Scotland areas.
[Please do not cross-post]

18th July - GREAT RUN !

Postby loftladderman » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:02 pm

My thanks to Bill and his good lady for getting to us on the run in time for an excellent sunday dinner ! LOL

The run was excellent too and we had 100s of cars !
Well we had quite a few ! LOL

Mike turned up as we were feeding our faces and it was very nice to see him again as well.
Paul D-S and his lass turned up and she so wants him to buy a new CHROME filler cap that we had to restrain her from nicking MINE !
Guess we know what she will be rushing out to buy him in Monday :wink:

It only rained very lightly once for around 2 minutes and no one got wet :-)

My co pilot Douglas did an excellent job of work and was great company for me for the day.
Nice guy too.

Thanks ALL for making the day great fun.....appreciated :-)
AND WHO CAN FORGET THIS ONE BELOW ?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards from Mack
Greddy Turbo :-)
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby mike9jr » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:36 am

I second that, I really enjoyed the run. Definatley good to have a few more mark 1's along too.

See you again soon.

Mike
mike9jr
OC Member

Postby boringchap » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:28 pm

Absolutely excellent day from start to finish, much appreciated.
Tom.
boringchap
OC Member

Kildrummy

Postby grouse » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:29 pm

Yes, it was a good run - and it was especially good to see Bill and Linda!
The return run was good - very ably led by Dave and Margaret - well done!

The "bad news" of the day?
Pauline had her first drive of my car
- AND WANTS ONE!

I think every dealer in Scotland has had a phone call today!

That's one way of getting more cars per run!!

Gordon.
grouse

AND ABOUT TIME TOO!!!!!

Postby BillB » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:05 pm

Go Pauline Go, Go Go.....it's about time we had more lady drivers showing the male drivers how things should be done. Let's face it, Turbo's, Superchargers, and various add-ons, can never compensate for common sense and good driving :D
BillB

Re: AND ABOUT TIME TOO!!!!!

Postby Si » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:33 am

BillB wrote: Let's face it, Turbo's, Superchargers, and various add-ons, can never compensate for common sense and good driving :D

:shock: :roll:

What's got to you these days Bill?? First you preach to Mack about speeding, now you say that fitting performance enhancing modifications instantly takes away one's driving sense/ability. We're not all complete nutters you know.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Re: AND ABOUT TIME TOO!!!!!

Postby Richardn » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:33 am

BillB wrote: Let's face it, Turbo's, Superchargers, and various add-ons, can never compensate for common sense and good driving :D

Maybe :roll: But add-ons and more power WITH good driving :lol: :lol:
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Lady drivers

Postby loftladderman » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:40 am

Go Pauline Go, Go Go.....it's about time we had more lady drivers showing the male drivers how things should be done. Let's face it, Turbo's, Superchargers, and various add-ons, can never compensate for common sense and good driving

Ha haaaaaaaaaaaaa
LOL
ROFLMAO

I do agree we should have many more lady drivers on the road JUST to slow us men down.
We can then sit far longer at "T" junctions while they decide that a 1 mile clear gap is "safe" to pull out into ! :cry:

IN my own case, knowing quite a few turbo / supercharger / NOS drivers, both young and old, I have found them to be better than the "average" driver BECAUSE of the speeds they can obtain :lol:

I just look at the list of World Championship Drivers in any motor sport and can only find one womans name at that level.
A certain Miss Pat Moss-Carlson and a LONG time ago too.
Nuff said I think :lol: :lol:

BUT I do know some very good Lady drivers too.

In the defence of "add on" drivers, we buy our cars to have fun in.
We spend thousands on the cars.
We make then go faster and handle better than standard.
It is all calculated to allow us to have more fun.
Maybe some folk have forgotten the definition of "fun", or find that their own personal quest for fun is satisfied in a standard car.
So be it, but the add on people do not slag off the standard people.
Have you noticed this ?
It is always a one way street I am afraid.

If my sole object was to get from A to B as fast as I can, then I would not go on "Runs".
I am quite content just to play in the twisty stuff when there is some :D
Top speeds has never held any fascination for me, only acceleration.

I also attend IAM courses once every two years and am always disapointed in the lack of ladies attending these courses.
It is as though, once they have passed their tests, they are through with learning how to drive safely :cry:

It must remain "each to their own" I am afraid :wink:
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby BillB » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:51 am

hey ho, seems I touched on a raw nerve. I have absolutely nothing against people modifying their cars and enhancing the performance, in fact I would rather see young people do this than spend their cash on drink and drugs. It is also good to watch them compete against each other at Crail or any other organised speed event be it hill climb, rally cross or any other type of event. I watch them compete at our local track as often as I can. But, and here is the big but, the drivers I watch competing, be they young or old, keep their racing for the track, not the public road. I live in an area where the (rather under-resourced) police force cover a vast area with very limited resources. This means that the 'young, hot hatch brigade' with every bolt on modification on their car find it rather entertaining of an evening, to call each other on their mobile phones and tip each other of on the locations of the rather limited police patrols. So then we have the pleasure of having the 'hot hatch brigade' tearing around the area at excessive speeds. They are of the type who think it is very smart to overtake 8 cars at a time, only to find that a tractor is exiting a field. The resulting effect has in the past seen heads detached from necks, bouncing off the bonnets of cars. Now, I don't particularly care if the 'hot hatch brigade' with the bolt on acceleration enhancements kill themselves, the unfortunate truth is that they usually kill other people as well. Then, lo and behold, when the insurance companies get involved, the outcome is that their insurance is declared null and void because the 'hot hatch brigade' with the bolt on acceleration enhancements has not informed the insurance company of the modifications. So, no compensation available to the innocent party, other than through their own insurance. As I say, I have nothing against people modifying their cars and using them in a sensible manner, good driving is not just a matter of how a person handles a car, it is also part and parcel of how you treat and how you behave towards other road users.
BillB

Postby BillB » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:13 am

Oh, and some ladies of note in motor sport history:

1958 Maria Teresa de Filippis becomes the first women to race in Formula One since the introduction of the World Drivers Championship in 1950. She raced in three Grand Prixs for Maserati, posting a best finish of 10th at the Belgium GP, two laps down.
1975 Maria Grazia (Lella) Lombardi races for the March Racing Team (12 GPs during '75 and '76) becoming the first woman to post a top sixth placing, 6th at the shortened Spanish GP.
1977 Janet Guthrie becomes the first woman to qualify for the Indy 500 at a speed of 188.403m.p.h. She finished the race 29th.
1978 Janet Guthrie finishes the Indy 500 in 9th place.
1980 South African, Desire Wilson driving for Williams wins the Aurora AFX round at Brands Hatch.
1981 Michele Mouton becomes the first woman to win a round of the Rally World Championship with a victory at the San Remo Rally.
1982 French rally driver, Michele Mouton and her co-driver, Fabrizia Pons win the rallies of Portugal, Brazil and Acropolis and finish second overall in the Rally World Championship.
1983 British rally driver, Louise Aitken-Walker becomes the first woman to win a national championship round outright in Britain and also wins the Coupes des Dames at the Monte Carlo Rally.
1984 Lyn St.James is awarded the IMSA Camel GT Rookie of the Year
1985 Michele Mouton becomes the first women to win the Race of Pike's Peak.
1987 Louise Aitken-Walker is voted National Driver of the Year by readers of the British magazine, Autosport.
1990 Louise Aitken-Walker wins the Ladies World Rally Championship
1991 Louise Aitken-Walker wins both the Jim Clark Trophy and the Seagrove Trophy.
1992 Giovanna Amati signs to race F1 with the Brabham team.
Lyn St.James is the first woman to awarded Indy 500 'Rookie of the Year'.

1996 Amanda Whitaker becomes the first female to win a British National Single Seater Championship winning the Monoposto Championship.
2001 Jutta Kleinschmitt of Germany becomes the first female driver to win the Paris-Dakar Rally driving a Mitsubishi Pajero in 70 hours 42 mins 8 secs.
BillB

Postby Si » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:12 pm

BillB wrote:hey ho, seems I touched on a raw nerve.

I just don't appreciate being classed with those who have little or no regard for other road users and your accusation that because I spend some of my money on modifications means I must be one of "them" is both a generalisation and offensive.

Si
Si

Postby BillB » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:27 pm

no Si, you are not one of them. As I pointed out, I have absolutely no objection to people spending money on enhancing the performance of their cars, what I object to is being cut up on a public road, by some nuisance who does not know know how to handle the enhanced performance. There are some damn good drivers in the club who have enhanced the performance and roadholding of their cars, it is good to see that. they are pushing the car to it's best as far as performance is concerned. But, I don't see them out on the road driving like maniacs. My concern with the 'bolt on brigade' is that they make the enhancements, but some of them do not know how to handle the increased performance. They equate speed with being a good driver, whereas, speed decreases the necessary reaction time, increases the braking distance and increases the damage done on impact.
BillB

Postby Si » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:39 pm

Ok, I'll be blunt....

I don't understand the link between your first post and a few people posting about how good the run was.

Did I miss something exciting on the run? Perhaps some dodgy driving?

Si
Si

Postby PaulDS » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:18 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,
Interesting to see your points of view here. Lets not forget, everyone will have different opinions, it wouldn't be good to be all the same other than we all hate DANGEROUS (and this is purely from a personal perspective)drivers from any walk of life. I enjoy the cross section of people I meet in the club and seeing the joy their car brings them, whether standard or legally modified. Open debate is good as long as doesn't get personal.
Paul.
Findochty.
PaulDS

Postby BillB » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:57 pm

Thank you Paul, I don't think I was, or intended to be personal to anyone.
I started off making a jocular comment about the club needing more lady drivers and the need for a sensible outlook towards driving. It seems I upset some people. Well, tough whatsit. As Loftladderman says, each to his own. By the way, what size are your wheels!!!!!!!! :shock: :D
BillB

Drivers of note

Postby loftladderman » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:13 pm

I did scan that list looking for the British Champions.
Or any champions winning something of note, like the RAC Rally, F1...etc etc. LOL
Then again apart from some cups and trophies racing motor bikes I HAVE WON LITTLE too
:lol:
Bill, I did not take your comments as a personal attack more of a generalisation and observation.

We all have pet likes and dislikes even those kids :-)

I detest following people who brake for every bend, even the good bends, where the line of through vision is excellent and as clear as a bell.

I want to shout at them to get in the correct gear BEFORE you get into the bend as braking through the bend does nothing for your safety, roadholding or the cars stability !

I have many younger friends with hot hatches and fast cars and have found them to be excellent young drivers indeed and even "quite" considerate for their ages, given the impatience of youth. LOL

I have a few who are into ICE and have the bass so strong the cars ROCKS and vibrates.
I, on a personal level hate loud musice BUT.......
Each to their own.
They could be spending their cash on drugs and booze instead.

In fact one of them, Richard, spent over 6 hours at my home last night sorting out the Van stereo and one of the cars sound systems for me.
He drives an old Capri as it is all he can afford and it is immaculate !
He asked me to show him HOW to fettle the carb, which I did for him as it only required the air mix ratio altering slightly.
He arrived at 18.30 and left at 00.30 hrs.
His charges ??
NOTHING !
He refused to take a penny from me.

He said and I quote
"you oldies are interesting to be around and have so much DRIVING experience"
end quote

These youngsters will be moaning about more younger drivers when they reach our age too !

This is the age gap showing is all :-)
AND ????
AGE is one hell of a price to pay....for experience my friends :-)
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby Phil » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:46 pm

Old Chinese Proverb "as we get older, we get wiser" and the price of insurance drops drastically !!!!!! :lol:
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby Richardn » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:58 pm

and I thought the proverb was " Growing old is unavoidable growing up is optional :lol:
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby PaulDS » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:43 pm

BillB wrote: By the way, what size are your wheels!!!!!!!! :shock: :D

17" Team Dynamic K2's with TOYO 205 x 40 tyres, I like them much more feel and look good too don't you think. They fill the arches because car is also lowered no body work was needed.
Paul
Findochty.
PaulDS

I agree with Richard

Postby loftladderman » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:04 am

Richard I concur with your thoughts.

I have plenty of time left to "grow up" as I am only 60 ! ! !
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Return to Highland & Moray, Grampian and Tayside