Back in Scotland

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Back in Scotland

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:42 pm

I registered for this forum while I lived overseas, but now I am back in Scotland. My journey took me from Edinburgh, to Dubai, then Belgium and now to Inverness.

I had a Mk1, BRG, 1.8 MX-5 while in Belgium but left it there as the steering wheel was on the wrong side.

Starting to get back into the financial position where I can afford to think about a new MX-5. Maybe a Mk1 again but I do not like the pop-up lights and since I always drive with my lights on full (dipped), it bugs me !!
Now in Inverness.
Border Reiver

Postby Wesly » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:19 pm

Low Profile lights :wink:

welcome back to God's country :D

just out of curiousity though, why do you drive with full beams on all the time? :?
No more Mx5... but the MR2 is a beast and a half!

Performance over Chrome!!!!
Wesly

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:47 pm

It is far safer as people notice you more easily. I used the words notice and not see you. Think about why motorbikes have their lights on all the time.

It also works on a bright sunny day. When we next have one, try it out !!

I did some driver training under a scheme called the Smith System. It is based around 5 keys, or principles :

Smith System: 5 Keys in summary

Improve your awareness of what is about you and where you will be
1) Aim High in Steering
- Look far ahead and not just the car in front.
2) Get The Big Picture
- Keep a 4 second distance from the vehicle in front
- Look at where you will be in 15 seconds time
3) Keep Your Eyes Moving
- Check your mirrors every 5-7 seconds
- Do not stare at something

Make sure you have an escape route in case things go wrong
4) Leave Yourself An Out
- Aim High In Steering to select a safe path through traffic
- Get The Big Picture to give you a proper following distance
- When stopped, make sure you can see the tyres of the car in front on the road. You can then move around it if you need to
5) Make Sure They See You
- Your Big Picture includes people who may not be aware of your presence, but should be. Get their attention and get their eye contact
- Use your lights or horn to get eye contact

There are many other driving systems but I found this easy to use and train on.

Try it !!
Now in Inverness.
Border Reiver

Postby Wesly » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:51 pm

good point on the motorbike thing.

Wesly

Postby koolchef » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:06 pm

i like one of those points - dont stare at something.

am sorry, but let me steal the picture i put up on another thread - if these 2 pulled up at some traffic lights -

i would be staring!
:shock:

koolchef

Postby Detritus » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

I wouldn't I don't like cars with stripes.
Detritus

Postby frank boyle » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:10 pm

Nice honda!
frank boyle

Postby Wesly » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:36 pm

koolchef wrote:i like one of those points - dont stare at something.

am sorry, but let me steal the picture i put up on another thread - if these 2 pulled up at some traffic lights -

i would be staring!
:shock:

Mate, there hingin!!!!!

i'm sure you could do better!

Wesly

Postby Rugger » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:30 pm

101 uses for silicone :shock:

:lol: :lol:
1992 Mk1 eunos roadster.....gone to a new home
2006 Mk3 2.0 Sports

Founder member of PHD motor tractors association.
Rugger
OC Member
Andy Wylie
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Wesly » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:37 pm

Rugger wrote:101 uses for silicone :shock:

:lol: :lol:

number 56. To cover there faces

Wesly

Postby poing » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:15 pm

:lol: @ Wesly

Welcome back to Scotland Mr Reiver :D

Only 1 hour from me, aren't you lucky :D
poing

Postby fergiet » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:53 pm

The one in the passenger seat ate all the pies ! :lol:
Mk3.5 Venture Soft Top 1.8 2012

the only thing about doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished

fergiet

Postby graeme » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:51 pm

She's not doing a good job of holding the gut in is she? The other one looks like you've just run over her dog.
graeme

Postby malcolm » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:16 am

Reading your 5 points system, Point No 2 A 4 second distance between cars. You now live in Inverness with lovely twisty roads, If you stayed 4 seconds behind the car in front you would never be able to over take him/her. I drive a coach and we also have a points style driving system and point No 2 is Stay 4 feet from the vehicle in front thus stopping other cars from jumping in front of you and stopping you overtaking the car in front when a straight long enough to overtake eventually apears. To see this points system in action, Take a trip to Paris where everybody drives 4 to 6 feet apart at 60mph. If you leave anymore than that you would have cars forcing in from both left and right hand sides.

A Little tip for people who are thinking of driving through France. The Dual carrageways/Motorways over there are a wee bit different to over here and don't get cought out. Immagine driving down the outside - fast lane on the motorway. Up ahead is a slip road coming onto the moterway. Now the slip road now becomes the inside lane and the outside lane / the fast lane will end about 1/4 mile after the slip road comes on. Not all the roads are like that and you'll also find that crossing from France to Germany you will come across this. It's very easy to be cought out and the words OH S**T comes to the front of your mind.
malcolm

Postby Enjay » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:09 pm

Border Reiver wrote:(lights) It is far safer as people notice you more easily. I used the words notice and not see you. Think about why motorbikes have their lights on all the time.

- Keep a 4 second distance from the vehicle in front

Pretty much agree with all the points except the two above.

Lights: Motor bikes do it because they are such small vehicles and are often on the wrong end of "sorry mate, I didn't see you" accidents. However, research published in New Scientist a few months, maybe a year, ago has shown that the more people driving with lights on reduces the effectiveness of the policy because the vehicle with its lights on becomes increasingly the norm and therefore not noticed. As a result, the effectiveness of cars doing it is reduced and motorbikes are put back at greater risk too.

Also, the environmental impact of everyone using lights all the time was assessed to be quite significant too. The research was done in response to government proposals that driving with lights on might be made compulsory. No decision has yet been made as far as I know.

As for 4 seconds, good policy, but 4 seconds is a big gap. I always use the "2 second rule" - which was what the Institute of Advance Motorists recommended during my "Advanced Driving" course. I often check my distance from the car in front by chanting "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule". Usually, my distance from the car in front is just about perfect according to that but I still like to check. At my 2s gap, I usually find that I am the only guy in a line of traffic actually leaving that length of space between me and the car in front. Everyone else is usually quite a bit closer. Quite often dickheads see the gap in front of me as an indication that I am going slower than they want to and so overtake me, nipping into the space that I have been leaving: often making the safe overtake that I had been planning on doing more difficult. The IAM also suggested that, during wet weather, the distance should be doubled and, in icy weather, doubled again. It's amazing how far 8 or even 4 seconds lets another car get. IMO 4 seconds, for general driving, is long enough to make other things (like the overtaking Malcolm mentioned) difficult.
Enjay

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:25 pm

I now also use the 2 second rule as well. As you suggested, this should be doubled in bad or adverse conditions.

Next Friday I am having a driving day as part of company car ownership. it is from Drivetech and I will be interested to see how it goes.

I was chairman of the Safe Driving campaign when I worked in the Middle East. Teaching this is in Saudi was a "laugh" :mrgreen: .
Now in Inverness.
Border Reiver

Postby skinnydoug » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:30 pm

I've done a Drivetech course and some sort of RoSPA test a few years ago as part of a driving job I used to have. I actually enjoyed it and got a fair bit out of it but I always remember the last thing the examiner smiled and said to me: "Remember Douglas, don't get caught."

Douglas
Skinnydoug - "Enthusiastic amatuer"
skinnydoug

slightly tangential ...

Postby ronniewolff » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:47 pm

... but hopefully worthy of your time is this (given the following caveats: A) I too undertook the IAM advanced driving course and found it wonderful; B) I have driven widely throughout Europe and North America on personal and professional business and find UK roads utterly horrible to drive on 80% of the time because there are too many cars, and C) I neither represent no political or environmental organisation nor hold any strong views on car v planet):

Why doesn't the Government rebrand the IAM's advanced driving course as the driving test?

The way I see it, too many rubbish drivers sail through the test and infect the roads. It's easier to get a driving licence than it is a passport these days. The IAM, while bearing the look of an alcoholic septuagenarian peer with a numb passion for crap vintage cars, at least teaches solid principles that make driving more enjoyable and get you from A to B quicker, more securely and more courteously. You have fewer accidents, get cheaper insurance and pay lower maintenance bills. You hopefully also gain a potential buyer's trust when you're selling your slightly ragged but essentially solid old toy. It is, in the argot of our Stateside muckers, a no-brainer.

As soon as I took the advanced driving course and was approved to become a member of the institute I thought: everyone should do this. I still think that. Probably with greater conviction than ever. Because I love driving, but hate driving in Britain.
ronniewolff

Return to New Users